Railroad Line Forums - "Building a derelict depot" - plans, step-by-step
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 83 ]  [ Total: 89 ]  [ Newest Member: dtrocket ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 "Building a derelict depot" - plans, step-by-step
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: O Scale version of Sheepscot C&L Barge No.1 Topic Next Topic: Latest issue of the Moose from Bar Mills.(June 06)
Page: of 21

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2006 :  8:11:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was looking through an old Model Railroader this evening while eating supper, and came across this great article on building a derelict depot. I think it's a fantastic looking structure, so thought I would share with you guys as well. Wouldn't this make a great Challenge project? Anyway, the article is by Wayne Wesolowski and was in the November 1983 issue, pp. 112-113. I love the swayback roof, ricketing support poles, holey roof, etc. I think I might just give this one a try. If anyone wants larger .jpg files of these, let me know and I'll be glad to e-mail them to you. They are about 900k each before I resized them down to post here.

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2006 :  9:00:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd love to try it. Please let me have the big files' location, if you will.

Elliott

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2006 :  9:52:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got that issue of MR at home, Eddie, so I'm going to dig it out when I get back there. That's another classic scratchbuilding article by Dr. Wesolowski!

TrainClown
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2006 :  10:27:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Eddie. I am just a nut for rotten buildings, and I would love to join you in this build. Right up my ally.

It's just what I was looking for.

Thank you.

Christopher

Clowning around with trains.

Edited by - TrainClown on 01/24/2006 10:15:44 AM

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2006 :  10:42:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Eddie,

Nice looking structure, I will enjoy watching you and others build this one.

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2006 :  10:45:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wayne is one of the best ...can't go wrong there .

T

spovlot
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/21/2006 :  11:14:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would be interested in building this project. Can you send me the article or point me to a location to get it?

Thanks,

Scott

Scott Povlot
HO Scale - Central of Georgia Railway, Atlanta District
Piedmont Division, NMRA (Atlanta, Georgia) - http://www.piedmont-div.org

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2006 :  11:41:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Christopher - I have sent you an e-mail with the two pages of instructions attached to it.

Elliott and Scott - If you can click on my name and send me an e-mail with your e-mail address, I can reply back to it with the two pages as attachments to it so you can print them out.

I plan on making me out a list of materials this weekend and heading to the hobby shop on Monday to pick up the goods.

Edited by - Eddie Landreth on 01/21/2006 11:42:52 PM

Jim T
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  12:28:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's another derelict building someone might be interested in building. Or maybe not.

Jim

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  01:38:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took the pictures from the article and created some rough scale measurements from them (see pics below). This will at least give us some basic starting points for measurements. When reading the article, I noted a typo on what they said the roof decking was - the article says it was planked with "1 x 2s", although obviously it looks like 1 x 12s (looks like they left out a critical '1' in that sentence). The line drawing in the article also says to use 1 x 10 or 1 x 12 planking for covering the walls. In the actual photos, it looks like Wayne mixed the two for a random look, which I think looks very nice. I plan on doing mine the same way.

So, from what I can tell from the article, here's what I think the scale lumber used is:

Platform base: 6 x 6
Platform floorboards: 1 x 12
Wall studs: 2 x 4
Wall planking: 1 x 10 and/or 1 x 12
Porch Support Post: 4 x 4 (per article, but looks like 6 x 6)
Diagonal braces holding up wall: 4 x 4
Roofing: 1 x 12
Rafters and Gable ends: 2 x 6
Corner trim: 1 x 4

Other materials:
Windows (3' x 6'): 2
Doors (3' x 7'): 2
Chimney casting
Tissue for roof sub-layer
Masking tape for rolled roofing (3' width)

Edited by - Eddie Landreth on 01/22/2006 01:43:33 AM

TrainClown
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  02:04:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Supper! Thank you Eddie. I am going to cut the lumber myself from cedar for part of it. I'm getting started. I'll draw the plan in Corel and post it here.

Thanks again, this is terrific!

Christopher

TrainClown
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  07:44:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, I was so inspired by this little project, I sat up all night and made a plan. Took some mighty strong head scratchin' to do it.

Eddie, I double checked your dimensions and cross referenced them with the plan on the page and the photos of the model. You were off a bit. No slight against you as the drawing the mag supplied was wrong too. I was shocked when I figured it out, after 2 hours of measurements.

It's true. I'm sure you would have caught on to the discrepancy once you studied it a little more.

Anyway I got the plan hashed out, and here it is. It did say Plan, with an "N" and not an "R", but something got lost in transit.

If you like the plan, you can download yourself a copy from this web page.
http://www.sitefights.com/community/art/trainclown/Trainstuff/index.shtml

I'll point out what I mean. In the plan below, you will see there are 11 tops on the wall studs.

Now look through this pic of the building and see only 7 studs on the front wall. There are only 9 rafters.

So you see, the guy who drew the plan only glanced at the model to get the idea. He didn't study it.

I figured out the measurements. The base is 20 x 40 scale feet. The building is 12 feet wide and 17 feet long and the gable is 17 feet long too. That leaves 6 feet for the prop-up beams and the building to lean.

Take a look also at the photos and notice that the gable only has 7 rafters. I spaced them out at close to 27" apart. There is a basic plan for the gable rafters on the plan, and notice, the angle is different than that of the roof.

Also the window on the side is 3' wide, but the one on the front is only 2'6" wide. Both windows are 5'6"high. The doors are 30" wide and 7 feet tall.

I measured the front and back walls out at 9'8" tall, but I just made them 10' tall to make it easier. The peak of the roof is 16'.

Both front and back walls are canted at the same angle. I matched them to the photo. I just reversed the right one.

The ruler at the bottom is to check against a real ruler in front of you to see if you are in or out of gauge once you print it. Also if you want to change scales, as this plan is HO scale.

What do you think?

Christopher

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  07:52:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eddie, I will be following you closely on this. I have always wanted to try this on a wooden structure.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  08:26:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eddie,
This is a great little project, and it seems to have hit a chord with a number of our members. I'll enjoy watching this thread progress.

Bruce

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  08:33:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is going to be an interesting project to follow.

George

RichBeau
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  08:35:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eddie & gang - This looks like a great idea and project. It would be easy for you guys to drag me into this as I'm a Wayne Wesolowski fan (I have his books). Since I'm hip deep into my Free-mo module construction project, I'll have to skip participation but I'll be following along.

--Rich

Page: of 21 Previous Topic: O Scale version of Sheepscot C&L Barge No.1 Topic Next Topic: Latest issue of the Moose from Bar Mills.(June 06)  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.81 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000