Railroad Line Forums - SRMW Wrisley Papers Construction thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 94 ]  [ Total: 95 ]  [ Newest Member: C430 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SRMW Wrisley Papers Construction thread
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Mini Drill press question Topic Next Topic: Laser Art Structures #600 Dubois House
Page: of 42

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/26/2005 :  6:50:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, everyone --

I've had this terrific kit for a couple of weeks but had to wait on starting this thread until my birthday because I'd been told I was getting a digital camera. While waiting, I did some of the low-skill work, like filing off flash and cleaning out windows in the resin castings.

This is only my third craftsman kit (Skinners Row from FSM and Skid Row from Downtown Deco) so I hope most sincerely that other, more experience modelers will join in.

With tutorial in hand, I will now attempt to post a photograph.

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/26/2005 :  6:54:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The kit comes with an awesome spiral-bound 94 page instruction manual plus many pages of drawings and template cards. Here's a photo:

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/26/2005 :  6:56:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The kit comes with two pages of beautiful color photo's to guide and inspire:

Hmmmm...this isn't nearly as scary as I thought it would be. Mike's tutorial on posting photo's is very easy to follow.

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/26/2005 :  7:02:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here is a photo of the contents of the kit. As you can see, I've already cleaned out the windows of the resin parts. (That's optional -- you could just paint them black, but I want to be able to light windows selectively.)

I've also been filing away on the castings. There are a lot of castings in this kit. At one point, I seriously questioned why one paper mill needed so many trash cans - then I looked at the number of cans outside my own shop.

I'm drilling a lot of the castings so I can impale them on toothpicks for painting - which I learned from this forum.

Does anyone else have this kit? Can I persuade you to join in?

Don Reed
Pittsburgh, PA

Edited by - AVRR-PA on 12/08/2005 07:35:23 AM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/26/2005 :  7:02:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don,
It looks like you've mastered the camera. Have fun with the kit. I will be following along.

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/26/2005 :  7:08:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Finally, here's a picture of how I cleared away the material from the windows. I drilled each corners with a small brad-point bit on the drill press, and then drilled out a good bit of the waste with a larger brad-point. I did the drilling with the pieces still attached to the sticky shipping cardboard, which made them a lot easier to control if the bit grabbed.

After drilling, I finished up using a basic cabinet maker's 1/4" chisel. We sharpen using the "scary sharp" system so the edge is pretty surgical and the cuts could be made one handed in most cases.

Back to filing castigs.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/26/2005 :  7:17:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don,
It looks as if you are off to a great start.
The pictures are perfect.
Even though I do not plan on building this kit I enjoy following along on construction threads as they are full of techniques that I find I can use on other kits.
Keep the great pictures coming.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 11/26/2005 :  7:51:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great start. I will be following every post!

belg
Fireman

Posted - 11/26/2005 :  8:14:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don, good luck with the kit. I was wondering in the picture where you are drilling out the windows did the casting break on the bottom left, in picture #1??? Pat

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/26/2005 :  8:23:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, Pat --

No, nothing broke. The resin castings are very strong and forgiving -- I doubt if you could damage them by dropping them on the floor, although I'm not about to try.

Don

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/26/2005 :  8:26:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, Bruce --

<It looks like you've mastered the camera. Have fun with the kit. I will be following along.>

The camera is a Coolpix L1 - which means it's way more intelligent than I am. I'm working my way through the manual, but it does an excellent job in what my daughter (a professional photographer) calls "PhD" mode. That stands for "push here, dummy."

More pictures tomorrow.

Don

southriv
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/26/2005 :  10:48:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit southriv's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice to see this one getting built. I see you are discovering how workable urethane is. When I started making kits and was using Hydrocal, there was not a good urethane available. That’s changed in recent years. The new products, like the one I use, are carvable (is that a word?) and hold detail as well as Hydrocal.

I like the use of a chisel for the final step in removing the window shell – good tip! Also being a knife maker, I know what “scary sharp” is.

Bob

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/26/2005 :  11:38:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don, it looks like you're off to a good start. It will be fun following your progress.

slimjerkins
Fireman

Posted - 11/26/2005 :  11:53:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Don!

Glad to see you posting those pics! You've got the camera masterd IMO

How 'bout showing the others the great job you did on Skinner's.

I'll be tuned in on this thread for sure.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/27/2005 :  07:53:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don, you're off to a good start. I look forward to following your progress. Thanks for the pictures.

As you think, so will you be.

jimmydeignan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/27/2005 :  08:22:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit jimmydeignan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ditto Don - As a huge fan of SRM kits, I'll be following along as well. You're off to a great start.
Jimmy

Page: of 42 Previous Topic: Mini Drill press question Topic Next Topic: Laser Art Structures #600 Dubois House  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000