Railroad Line Forums - Coaling Tower for the RF&W underway.
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 163 ]  [ Total: 164 ]  [ Newest Member: Dragonborn ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Coaling Tower for the RF&W underway.
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: scratchbuilding a log stacker Topic Next Topic: New Weekend Project: OVT&L Tool Caboose  

racedirector
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/26/2005 :  10:50:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit racedirector's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi all

Having never actually scratchbuilt anything, I thought I would start with a coaling tower. My choice of tower is from an 4 part article by Wayne Wesolwski in RMC in 1988.

She is a small 25 ton tower and will be built in O scale, reduced in height by 3' 3" to narrow gage it for my future On30 road, the RF&W. It is to become part of a module for future imsertion into the main layout.

I started tonight by cutting the timber for it and have begun to rough up the timber and stain it. I am using Microcarpa timber from www.woodsworks.co.nz in New Zealnd. Paul Woods does a great job in cutting the timber to any size you want and it is great value, far cheaper for me than buying US imported basswood in Oz.

I'll start taking pics as I go along and when I can get the camera.

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Nordstrand, Riverstone, NSW, Oz-stralia

Back in HO...and stayin there!

racedirector
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/27/2005 :  12:27:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit racedirector's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I stopped staining and recut some timbers because I didn't like the resulting color. Currently I am trying 3 different mixes: the Sellios version of ink/alcohol and 2 of Mike C's concoctions. Currently I am leaning towards the Mike C grey-brown mix but Mike's other mix looks good too. It is more brown. I figure if I start lightish, I can then weather different parts of the structure different ways depending on what it has been exposed to. But here I go talking like I have been doing this for a while, which just isn't true! I shall see what develops I suppose and ask for suggestions as I go. Camera is coming home tomorrow so some shots should be forthcomng soon...

Cheers
Bruce

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/27/2005 :  07:21:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce,
This should be a great project. I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures when you get hold of a camera.

Bruce

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 11/27/2005 :  10:22:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bruce
Will be a good project to cut your teeth on. I have both the RMC article and Wayne Wesolwski's book. It is a very good coaling tower for a small spot on any railroad which still runs steam. Interested in watching your progress. Post as ofter as you can.
Peter

racedirector
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  08:42:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit racedirector's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Brakes are on for the coaling tower while I build my son a 4x8 layout before Christmas. Santa is bringing him Thomas the Tank Engine plus Annie & Clarabel coaches as requested. Tower construction will continue after I have the track laid and working OK :)

Cheers
Bruce

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  10:08:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It doesn't get much better that Wayne W . I had one of his books on scratchbuilding from card stock . He is amazing .
Looking forward to your project . Maybe a friend has a camera handy ?

Terry

Previous Topic: scratchbuilding a log stacker Topic Next Topic: New Weekend Project: OVT&L Tool Caboose  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000