Railroad Line Forums - Chama Coaling Tower - On3 - *many pictures*
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 92 ]  [ Total: 97 ]  [ Newest Member: pctrain19 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Chama Coaling Tower - On3 - *many pictures*
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Structures on the LP&N RR Topic Next Topic: Scratchbuilding the Willits Depot with free Plans
Page: of 3

K36-488
Section Hand

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  3:16:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit K36-488's Homepage  Reply with Quote
First off, for those that may not be familiar with the Chama coaling tower, hereís a recent picture:

I decided to build this after seeing it in person in July. When finished the structure will stand 15" above ground and extend 3" below. The only commercial detail parts are from Grandt Line. These include the grates, buckets, sheaves, doors, windows, coal gate and NBW castings. The lumber is all from Kappler. I made some of the other details from brass and styrene. The hopper and foundation is made from plaster. I used two sets of plans, one from the Maxwell Collection and the other from Mike Blazek. In addition to the plans, I've had help from Mike Trent who happens to be building the tower in Durango in On3 also.

On to the pictures. Here's a screenshot of a 3D model I created in 3D Studio Max. This helped understand the relationship between all the timbers.

Now for some construction pictures. Here is the form for the front wall of the hopper.

Here are the finished walls prior to assembly.

Here is the assembled hopper awaiting completion of the tower.

I scratch built the I beams from styrene. I would let you know how I made them, but you would think I was nuts.

There are more pictures to come and I'll get you caught up. The model is over 3/4 the way finished. When it's finished I'll mount it on a 30" x 11" board. I'll eventually make the sand house you can see in the first picture and add it to the diorama.

Dennis
www.ocngm.com

Chuck Doan
Fireman

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  3:37:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dennis, that is looking great.

Regarding the I beams, as one who has taken to applying individual knots and nails to a model wall, you will have stiff competition for the "nuts" category! Methinks you should elaborate and join the club!

ChuckD.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  4:27:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dennis, very nice work. Can't wait to see more.

Chuck's right, I think anyone not in our hobby would think that we are all nuts. So you're in pretty good company here.

K36-488
Section Hand

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  4:37:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit K36-488's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok, here goes. you can see from the picture there are rods that act as spacers between the I-beams. In real life these are pipes. Then there is a rod that is threaded at each end that is inserted through the pipe. Then a washer and nut are added to each end and tightened to keep them properly spaced.

Now for the model. I realized that if I just try to glue the pipe in between the I-beams they probably wouldn't come out straight. It would also make it hard to drill a hole to accept the NBW casting for the outside of the I-beam. What I did was cut all the pipes to length then drilled a 0.021" (#75) hole in the end of each pipe. BTW, the pipes are 0.025". It took 19 tries to get 16 usable pipes. Once the holes were drilled in the I-beam I proceeded to insert the NBW casting through the I-beam them into the end of the pipe. Once one side was done I repeated the process for the parallel I-beam.

You may also notice the NBW castings on the anchor plates. I drilled through the anchor plate and into the 'concrete' then inserted the NBW.

Am I nuts?

www.ocngm.com

Chuck Doan
Fireman

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  4:57:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations! You qualify!
Really nice though! I look forward to seeing more.

JBL
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  5:05:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Doan

I look forward to seeing more.

Me too. This looks fantastic.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  5:40:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dennis,
I'm glad that you have started this thread. Keep those progress photos coming.

steamlocodog
Section Hand

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  6:52:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dennis,

Glad you joined Railroad-line forums, and are sharing your coaling tower project photos.

Jeff - STEAMLOCODOG
(Slim Gauge Guild)

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  8:25:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That is amazing, Dennis. I'm surprised it only took you 19 tries! I would still be at it. I look forward to seeing more.

Chuck

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  8:58:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Simply outstanding. I am following this one closely!!!!!!!!!!!!

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  9:23:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dennis,

Very nice it will be worth the wait to see and the sandhouse together in a diorama. Keep up the GREAT work and keep us all informed>

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Jerry M
Fireman

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  11:09:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Dennis looking good! I have spent many days in Chama and the yard and taken many rolls of film. One of my favorite places in the world, a friend of mine Bill Peters used to live there and when we visited we stayed at the old Shamrock hotel. We woke to the whistle in the morning and it was NG heaven for sure. Jerry

K36-488
Section Hand

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  12:40:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit K36-488's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I stayed at the Chama Station Inn, right across from the engine house. It's great falling asleep to the sound of the steam engines being keep alive. I can't wait to go back!

www.ocngm.com

K36-488
Section Hand

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  11:35:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit K36-488's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As promised, here are some more photos of the tower.

www.ocngm.com

Jerry M
Fireman

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  6:24:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dennis the tower is looking nice,,had a model of this by PBL in Sn3 and it was very accurate however it was in brass and I think the wood makes a better looking model. Jerry

rckwallaby
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/18/2005 :  04:23:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit rckwallaby's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by K36-488

Ok, here goes.

You may also notice the NBW castings on the anchor plates. I drilled through the anchor plate and into the 'concrete' then inserted the NBW.

Am I nuts?

Yep. We know you're nuts.
Just like most of the rest of us here who do this sought of thing.
I love putting NBW's in obscure places and detailing parts that only the spiders and dust mites will ever find.

Now how about a close up shot of the pedestals/flashing on the roof of the sandhouse at the base of each pile. Looks neat detail.

This is O scale right ?

Cheers
Phil

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Structures on the LP&N RR Topic Next Topic: Scratchbuilding the Willits Depot with free Plans  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000