Railroad Line Forums - HO Scale dinosaurs
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 76 ]  [ Total: 79 ]  [ Newest Member: Matt Iantorno ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 HO Scale dinosaurs
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Tortiose Switch machine & Walthers Turnouts Topic Next Topic: Thomas the Tank Engine
Page: of 2

Bosco5
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  08:25:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bosco5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No, the title of this topic isn't a typo - I'm looking to find HO scale dinosaur models. Well, to be truthful, my son wants to find them as he thinks it would be neat to have a "dino-escape" scene on the layout and, umm, so do I. At least doing so will help keep an active 10 year old interested in the hobby.

Does anyone have any information on sources for HO scale or near ho scale dinosaur models? I saw one in the Walthers catalog from Busch for $15.99 but was hoping for more options. If one is going to put a dinosaur in an ho-scale layout one should try for at least a T-Rex!

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  08:39:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So what would be the scale of any of the dino models out there? Check toy stores for something that might be suitable. I've seen plastic ones in the local dollar stores. A little paint job could go a long way!

Bob Boudreau
My model railroad photography website:
http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  08:59:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Miles,

John Allen had a Brontosarus pulling a freight car on his G&D layout, so your son is thinking like one of the masters of the hobby.

I found this T Rex for my layout at Hobby Lobby. When the scene is complete, it will have LBP chipping away to extract the bones. Scale is arbitrary as dinosaurs come in different sizes.

Jim

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  09:54:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim - I love that dino fossil by the tracks. Where did you find it in Hobby Lobby, in what department? I think I might need one of those. Very cool.

shortliner
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  10:02:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There used to be loads of "no particlar scale" ones in the cheapy toyshops over here - I'll keep my eyes open
Shortliner(Jack) away up here inbthe Highlands

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  10:02:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neat scene Jim.

A couple of years ago Darryl Huffman made a diorama of a dinosaur dig that used toe nail clippings as the bones.

As you think, so will you be.

shortliner
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  10:06:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bosco5 - this may help as a quickie - <http://www.dinosaurfarm.com/difi.html> straight off Googly
Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the Highlands

Edited by - shortliner on 11/04/2005 10:06:53 AM

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  10:17:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eddie, I found it in a section near all of the model cars, boats, planes. The Hobby Lobby in my home town has a science section, (growing crystals, mini microscopes, etc).

Rick, Darryl sounds like the one who used whisker trimmings from his electric razor, dyed green, to model pine needles. There is an article in NG&SLG (forgot the issue) where the author used them on a saw filer's shed. I wonder what other discarded body parts might be used?

Jim

shortliner
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  10:19:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For HO these might do nicely

<http://explore4fun.com/litisuofdi.html>
<http://explore4fun.com/dinosaurherd.html>
Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the Highlands

Bosco5
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/06/2005 :  06:40:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bosco5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the links - I'm sure we'll find something that works on one of those sites.

Jim: The dinosaur fossils are very impressive - that's a really neat way to add some interest to a rock outcropping.

Thanks again,

Bosco5
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/27/2005 :  6:59:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bosco5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanksgiving weekend proved to be one for some rather silly modeling as you'll see. I finally found a dinosaur for the scene my son wanted and I think it turned out pretty well. You'd be surprised but there just aren't any HO scale dinosaur's on the market - who knew?

It seems dinosaurs have a very strong attraction to bacon and can become very aggresive when they're hungry:

Luckily it appears the authorities are responding in force - hopefully they brought some bigger guns!

While this scene may not win any contests or appear in a magazine, it made my son happy and he has been bringing all of his friends over to see it - perhaps we'll get some more kids into the hobby!

The dinosaur was a cheap resin piece that I repainted. The soldiers are a Preiser kit and are my first attempt at painting figures. The Armored car and Humvee are metal kits from Trident.

I will be adding more detail to the scene - the trailor will be ripped open and they'll be a string of hot dogs hanging from dino's mouth!

My apologies for the fuzy pictures.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/27/2005 :  9:13:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear your son is bring his friends over to see it, the T-Rex is being a good ambassador for the hobby!

Mike

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/28/2005 :  12:17:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit MikeC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's a funny scene, Miles. It reminds me of some of those awful Japanese "monster" movies that my friends and I would go watch back in the 50's. The animation was awful; the tanks and artillery used to fight the monsters were obviously Revell models built for the movie set, and it was all great fun to watch!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm a busy man. I have a railroad to run.

Visit the Central Missouri & Southern

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

Posted - 11/28/2005 :  12:26:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I absolutely love it. Perfect.

Darryl L Huffman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/28/2005 :  02:31:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Darryl L Huffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When I built my Indy's Dinosaur Digs, I used a mouse skeleton my grandson had dug out of owl pellets as a school project. The teeth didn't look real so I used fingernail clippings for them. The actual mouse ribs had dissolved in the stomach of the owl, so I tried real fingernails, but found they wouldn't work right, so I ended up with artificial nails.

Photos of the little diorama can be seen here:

http://www.darrylhuffman.50megs.com/photo6.html

Sorry, but I am not the guy who used whisker clippings for pine needles, But I have used human hair for weeds.

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 11/28/2005 :  07:37:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Miles,

I love that scene. I like to see some things that are "out of the ordinary!" I think it is great that you would do this for your son, and I'm sure that you are pleased with it also. Keep up the good work.

A dear friend of mine (who passed away several years ago) used to have a coal drag that was made up of 80 or so Ford coal hoppers that were individually numbered and weathered. He used to run this train on our club layout that was open to the public at Christmas time. He used to put a gondola near the end of the train that had two dinosaurs in it - he called them "fossil fuel." Gotta love his sense of humor. In his honor, after he passed away, our club added a small dragon sticking his head out of an abandoned train tunnel. The kids just love to see that, and we get just tons of comments about it from young and old alike.

Love it!

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.
"The Best Wood You Ever Saw!"

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Tortiose Switch machine & Walthers Turnouts Topic Next Topic: Thomas the Tank Engine  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000