Railroad Line Forums - Multi-deck layouts
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 240 ]  [ Total: 240 ]  [ Newest Member: wandering rr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Layout Design / Operation Sig Forum
 Multi-deck layouts
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Maximum grade on a switchback Topic Next Topic: Need help planning 0n30 layout  

dsteele
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  08:18:13 AM  Show Profile
In considering a two-deck layout (or multi-decks, for that matter) is there a convention or standard or protocol for interconnecting the decks? That is, are they completely isolated from one another with trains remaining exclusively on their "own" deck? Is it "permissible" to have trains run from one deck to another and back?

Is there a standard in the hobby for this? Does the NMRA address this?

Thanks!

Dennis

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  08:23:43 AM  Show Profile
INteresting. I would think that you could do it anyway that you wanted. If you kept them seperate, then it would be like having 2 different layouts. If they were connected (via helix, switchbacks, interchange tracks, etc.) then you would essentially double the size of your layout.

I don't know if the NMRA has any particular standards for this or not.

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.
"The Best Wood You Ever Saw!"

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  08:23:43 AM  Show Profile
INteresting. I would think that you could do it anyway that you wanted. If you kept them seperate, then it would be like having 2 different layouts. If they were connected (via helix, switchbacks, interchange tracks, etc.) then you would essentially double the size of your layout.

I don't know if the NMRA has any particular standards for this or not.

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.
"The Best Wood You Ever Saw!"

RichBeau
Fireman

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  09:00:04 AM  Show Profile
No Dennis, there's really no standard but there are a lot of considerations and it all depends on what you're modeling.

I've seen a number of double deckers and a couple of triple deckers. They seem to use three basic ways to get up and down. The most popular lately is the hidden helix. This permits mainline routes to ascend quickly and in minimum space. You can also ramp exposed trackage upward usually with a grade at something like 4% or less. Most times I've seen this there's helper service available. Usually there's some very cool modeling of the helper facilities. I've also seen on logging layouts a switchback or cable system to take cars up some very steep inclines (8%-9%).

--Rich

RichBeau
Fireman

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  09:00:04 AM  Show Profile
No Dennis, there's really no standard but there are a lot of considerations and it all depends on what you're modeling.

I've seen a number of double deckers and a couple of triple deckers. They seem to use three basic ways to get up and down. The most popular lately is the hidden helix. This permits mainline routes to ascend quickly and in minimum space. You can also ramp exposed trackage upward usually with a grade at something like 4% or less. Most times I've seen this there's helper service available. Usually there's some very cool modeling of the helper facilities. I've also seen on logging layouts a switchback or cable system to take cars up some very steep inclines (8%-9%).

--Rich

On30fan
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  11:50:40 AM  Show Profile
Also there is the mushroom design, 2 decks facing in oppostite directions. Hard to explain unless you've seen one in action.
Joe Fugate's Siskiyou Line is probably the best known example of this type. His layout uses the grade of the line to go up, it winds around the room, the second deck ends up above the first without using a helix or switchbacks.

http://siskiyou.railfan.net/index.html

Cheers,
Steve
San Juan Lumber Company
Niagara Frontier Traction Company

On30fan
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  11:50:40 AM  Show Profile
Also there is the mushroom design, 2 decks facing in oppostite directions. Hard to explain unless you've seen one in action.
Joe Fugate's Siskiyou Line is probably the best known example of this type. His layout uses the grade of the line to go up, it winds around the room, the second deck ends up above the first without using a helix or switchbacks.

http://siskiyou.railfan.net/index.html

Cheers,
Steve
San Juan Lumber Company
Niagara Frontier Traction Company

dsteele
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  6:22:12 PM  Show Profile
OK, guys, thanks. Appreciate the info and the new website, which I've bookmarked for future study.

Dennis

dsteele
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  6:22:12 PM  Show Profile
OK, guys, thanks. Appreciate the info and the new website, which I've bookmarked for future study.

Dennis

Previous Topic: Maximum grade on a switchback Topic Next Topic: Need help planning 0n30 layout  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000