Railroad Line Forums - Maximum grade on a switchback
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 206 ]  [ Total: 212 ]  [ Newest Member: HolmesELP ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Layout Design / Operation Sig Forum
 Maximum grade on a switchback
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Layout plans for G-Scale outdoor railway - Rough Topic Next Topic: Multi-deck layouts  

Toomanyscales
New Hire

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  12:21:34 PM  Show Profile
I am planning my new On30 layout and what is the maximum grade I can use on a switchback?
I will be using a shay and three gondolas maximun up to the mines. The first leg of the switchback is 36" long. 1 1/2" rise is 4% grade. Can I go more?

John

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  2:37:38 PM  Show Profile
John,

I believe Shamus (Paul T) has a 7% grade on his On30 layout. I have a four level HO switchback and my maximum grade is 4%. My On30 loco's have no trouble negogiating it.

Jim

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  2:37:38 PM  Show Profile
John,

I believe Shamus (Paul T) has a 7% grade on his On30 layout. I have a four level HO switchback and my maximum grade is 4%. My On30 loco's have no trouble negogiating it.

Jim

brakie
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  8:20:21 PM  Show Profile
Well,shays would feel at home on a 8% grade after all these hardy engines was built for claiming grades into logging and mining areas where rod engines couldn't go...

brakie
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  8:20:21 PM  Show Profile
Well,shays would feel at home on a 8% grade after all these hardy engines was built for claiming grades into logging and mining areas where rod engines couldn't go...

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  11:18:52 PM  Show Profile
I would suggest that you try testing out some various grades to see what your engine(s) can handle. This can be on temporary track which isn't fastened down until you are sure that you have achieved the grade you want. Try a temporary track at 3%, 3.5%, 4%, 4.5%, etc. until you bog down your engines (as they pull cars up the grade). Keep in mind that plastic wheels roll harder than metal wheels, so use the same wheels for testing that you intend to use on the grade.

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.
"The Best Wood You Ever Saw!"

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  11:18:52 PM  Show Profile
I would suggest that you try testing out some various grades to see what your engine(s) can handle. This can be on temporary track which isn't fastened down until you are sure that you have achieved the grade you want. Try a temporary track at 3%, 3.5%, 4%, 4.5%, etc. until you bog down your engines (as they pull cars up the grade). Keep in mind that plastic wheels roll harder than metal wheels, so use the same wheels for testing that you intend to use on the grade.

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.
"The Best Wood You Ever Saw!"

Previous Topic: Layout plans for G-Scale outdoor railway - Rough Topic Next Topic: Multi-deck layouts  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000