Railroad Line Forums - Alaska pictures 2005
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 120 ]  [ Total: 122 ]  [ Newest Member: colind ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 Alaska pictures 2005
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Clinchfield photos Topic Next Topic: Interesting barn
Page: of 6

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/12/2005 :  12:43:42 PM  Show Profile
As we emerged from the tunnel the first thing we saw was this hotel built on the water that was only under construction when I last visited.
I have been told that it is already on the market to be sold.

The other large structure that we saw is Begich Towers which housed military families before the Army left Whittier.
This has been converted into condominiums and houses most of the permanent residents of Whittier.

Whittier's economy depends upon the fishing industry, charter boat operations, cruise ships in port, and the commercial deep water port.

There is a very large small boat dock and here are a few of the boats that are docked there.

Unfortunately it was near the end of the cruise ship season and we did not see one while there.

There is also car ferry service to other ports in Alaska.

The most interesting part is the railroad car barges since all products from the lower 48 are brought to Alaska on these barges.
They come once a week, usually on Tuesday and it is normally Thursday before they are completely unloaded and then reloaded for the return to Seattle Washington.

Security was more in evidence this time and I was unable to get very close but here are a couple of pictures of rolling stock being unloaded.

The following picture was taken from a good distance away but you can see the barge with rolling stock on the left.

We were able to return on Thursday to see the barge leave and I did get some better pictures.

More later.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 09/12/2005 :  12:56:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage
Nice pictures, John! I can't wait to see more. I actually saw grain hoppers on a river barge being loaded in Brooklyn, last Thursday. While it is understandable to see barges in Alaska, it is strange to still see them in NYC....at least to me.

Chuck

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 09/12/2005 :  12:56:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage
Nice pictures, John! I can't wait to see more. I actually saw grain hoppers on a river barge being loaded in Brooklyn, last Thursday. While it is understandable to see barges in Alaska, it is strange to still see them in NYC....at least to me.

Chuck

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 09/12/2005 :  1:19:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
Great photos, John! This may be the closest to Alaska that I get. I noticed the RDC on the end of the passenger train in one of the photos. Does the ARR still operate RDCs? The weather sounds just brutal in the winter and, from the mist and fog in one of the other photos, it can be quite varied. How does the ARR make out in the winter?

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 09/12/2005 :  1:19:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
Great photos, John! This may be the closest to Alaska that I get. I noticed the RDC on the end of the passenger train in one of the photos. Does the ARR still operate RDCs? The weather sounds just brutal in the winter and, from the mist and fog in one of the other photos, it can be quite varied. How does the ARR make out in the winter?

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 09/12/2005 :  1:50:54 PM  Show Profile
OK, John, ya got yer pictures, now GET BUILDING. Seriously, those are some great pictures. I can't wait to see how you recreate that gorgeous scenery.

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 09/12/2005 :  1:50:54 PM  Show Profile
OK, John, ya got yer pictures, now GET BUILDING. Seriously, those are some great pictures. I can't wait to see how you recreate that gorgeous scenery.

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/12/2005 :  2:36:53 PM  Show Profile
John, great photos of an interesting RR (nice looking family too). I look forward to seeing more.

Joe <><

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/12/2005 :  2:36:53 PM  Show Profile
John, great photos of an interesting RR (nice looking family too). I look forward to seeing more.

Joe <><

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  12:13:11 PM  Show Profile
Thanks guys and I hope to be able to somehow capture the look of Alaska in my scenery.

Russ,
The Alaska RR bought 5 RDC's and I know that 2 are still in use daily as I have pictures of them.

One of my days in Alaska was spent at the Alaska State Fair.
This fair is like any other state fair you may have attended and the only pictures I will show are of some models I found on display and some vegetables on display.
First in a section of models I found this model of a HO scale Motor Baggage Car by Pat Durand who is one of the best modelers of the Alaska Railroad found in the state.

There was also a garden railroad display set up on the fairgrounds.

Next is a picture of a pumpkin grown in Alaska.
This one weighed in at 942 lbs and is a state record.

I also added a second pumpkin along with my grandsons who are 38" and 42" tall to give you an idea of the size of these.
This pumpkin only weighed 700+ pounds.

As we were heading home we passed this gravel train being loaded on tracks which paralleled the highway.
2 SD70 Mac's which are slowly backing up.

The gravel train runs 35 miles from the pit loaded with pit run gravel to Anchorage Sand and Gravel where is is then sold to customers.
The gravel trains run 24 hours a day and the train has between 80 and 125 cars.
Most of the profit for the Alaska RR is derived from these trains.

Here you can see a car being loaded.

A couple more of the operation.

John Bagley

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  12:13:11 PM  Show Profile
Thanks guys and I hope to be able to somehow capture the look of Alaska in my scenery.

Russ,
The Alaska RR bought 5 RDC's and I know that 2 are still in use daily as I have pictures of them.

One of my days in Alaska was spent at the Alaska State Fair.
This fair is like any other state fair you may have attended and the only pictures I will show are of some models I found on display and some vegetables on display.
First in a section of models I found this model of a HO scale Motor Baggage Car by Pat Durand who is one of the best modelers of the Alaska Railroad found in the state.

There was also a garden railroad display set up on the fairgrounds.

I also added a second pumpkin along with my grandsons who are 38" and 42" tall to give you an idea of the size of these.
This pumpkin only weighed 700+ pounds.

As we were heading home we passed this gravel train being loaded on tracks which paralleled the highway.
2 SD70 Mac's which are slowly backing up.

The gravel train runs 35 miles from the pit loaded with pit run gravel to Anchorage Sand and Gravel where is is then sold to customers.
The gravel trains run 24 hours a day and the train has between 80 and 125 cars.
Most of the profit for the Alaska RR is derived from these trains.

Here you can see a car being loaded.

A couple more of the operation.

John Bagley

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  12:27:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
More great shots....thanks John! I see that even the ARR freight cars get 'tagged' by the spray paint people, too. Holy ! Punkins the size of people! BTW, that motor car model is an absolute gem. A large sand 'n gravel operation like that is a good industry for modelers whose regional setting doesn't allow for coal...good way to get home road hopper cars into the picture. Gives me some ideas...thanks again, Mr. Bbags!

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  12:27:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
More great shots....thanks John! I see that even the ARR freight cars get 'tagged' by the spray paint people, too. Holy ! Punkins the size of people! BTW, that motor car model is an absolute gem. A large sand 'n gravel operation like that is a good industry for modelers whose regional setting doesn't allow for coal...good way to get home road hopper cars into the picture. Gives me some ideas...thanks again, Mr. Bbags!

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  1:57:06 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bbags

Now that's a lot of pie -- or pumpkin ale!

I wonder how they are unloading those hoppers at the delivery site?

Edited by - Dutchman on 09/13/2005 1:59:26 PM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  1:57:06 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bbags

Now that's a lot of pie -- or pumpkin ale!

I wonder how they are unloading those hoppers at the delivery site?

Edited by - Dutchman on 09/13/2005 1:59:26 PM

Page: of 6 Previous Topic: Clinchfield photos Topic Next Topic: Interesting barn  
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000