Railroad Line Forums - Alaska pictures 2005
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 111 ]  [ Total: 111 ]  [ Newest Member: colind ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 Alaska pictures 2005
Next Page
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Clinchfield photos Topic Next Topic: Interesting barn
Page: of 6

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/09/2005 :  10:01:14 PM  Show Profile
As some of you know I model the Alaska Railroad and also have a daughter and her family that live in Alaska.
I have just returned from spending 10 days in Alaska with my daughter from Alaska and also with my other daughter who is from Massachusetts.
I will be adding pictures from Alaska to this thread in the days that follow.

While this may seem like a travelogue for the state there will also be railroad related photos.
For those who saw the pictures of my 2003 vacation many of the sites are the same but the pictures are all new.

First the cast of characters.

From left to right.
My grandson Cody and my daughter Amy who are from Massachusetts and my daughter Kathy and my grandson Connor who are from Alaska.
Both husbands are home working.
Jeff, Amy's husband in Massachusetts and Paul, Kathy's husband in Alaska.

My daughter Kathy since graduating from college has worked for the US Forest Service in Chugach National Forest.

She spends her summer months educating thousands of tourists on the wonders of the state of Alaska.
In the winter she instructs most of the school children of the Anchorage area about their state.
Anchorage is the largest city in Alaska with a population of about 350,000 residents out of a statewide population of about 600,000 residents.

While Alaska is known for its wonderful mountain scenery and it wildlife it also is the home of over 10,000 glaciers in Chugach National Forest alone.

Here is a picture of her workplace.

Here is a glacier that is found in Chugach National Forest.

I took almost 500 pictures but do not worry I will only be posting a small fraction of these.
So since this forum has "Railroad" in the title I will offer a picture of a train.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/09/2005 :  10:08:18 PM  Show Profile
John,
First, you have a great looking family there! Personally, I will be happy to we whatever pictures you post, railroad, scenery, or structures.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/09/2005 :  10:08:18 PM  Show Profile
John,
First, you have a great looking family there! Personally, I will be happy to we whatever pictures you post, railroad, scenery, or structures.

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

Posted - 09/09/2005 :  10:15:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rusty Stumps's Homepage
John,

Really pretty young ladies you have and strapping grand kids.

Your pictures are great. Did you get any more of that building that the train is pulling out of or through? Looks real interesting.

Walt

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

Posted - 09/09/2005 :  10:15:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rusty Stumps's Homepage
John,

Really pretty young ladies you have and strapping grand kids.

Your pictures are great. Did you get any more of that building that the train is pulling out of or through? Looks real interesting.

Walt

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/09/2005 :  10:20:46 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Bruce and Walt,
Yes I have more pictures Walt, stay tuned for tomorrow's show.

John Bagley

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/09/2005 :  10:20:46 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Bruce and Walt,
Yes I have more pictures Walt, stay tuned for tomorrow's show.

John Bagley

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/09/2005 :  11:03:42 PM  Show Profile
Good looking family John. Looking forward to more pictures. Lots of talk now a days about global warming, the polar ice caps and glaciers melting. Did you notice that the size of the glaciers have reduced since your last visit?

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/09/2005 :  11:03:42 PM  Show Profile
Good looking family John. Looking forward to more pictures. Lots of talk now a days about global warming, the polar ice caps and glaciers melting. Did you notice that the size of the glaciers have reduced since your last visit?

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 09/10/2005 :  07:19:06 AM  Show Profile
With a little luck gobal warming will finish off those nasty glaciers in no time, then your family will be able to enjoy their meal outside in August without having to get all bundled up. Great looking (if somewhat frozen looking ) family John, looking forward to more pics!

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 09/10/2005 07:22:07 AM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 09/10/2005 :  07:19:06 AM  Show Profile
With a little luck gobal warming will finish off those nasty glaciers in no time, then your family will be able to enjoy their meal outside in August without having to get all bundled up. Great looking (if somewhat frozen looking ) family John, looking forward to more pics!

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 09/10/2005 07:22:07 AM

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/10/2005 :  1:25:16 PM  Show Profile
Rick,
Yes most of the glaciers in Alaska are receding but whether it is due to global warming you will get different opinions from different people.
There are still advancing glaciers which seems to contradict this theory.
Also during the ice age these glaciers could be found as far south as Pennsylvania in the US.

Pictures Part II "Whittier Alaska"

Whittier is a city found on an ice free body of water and the city itself is a historical landmark that was established by the US Army during WWII as a "secret port".
The city is surrounded by water and mountains and the only access by land is through a 2.5 mile railroad tunnel constructed in 1943.
Then Whittier became the primary port for troops and cargo bound for Alaska.
The Army left Whittier in the 1960's and the population dropped from 1200 down to the present day population of 300 permanent residents.

All rolling stock with products for Alaska are delivered to this port and then moved by train to the interior.
The weather has a maximum temperature of 84 degrees and a minimum of minus 29.
The average snowfall is 260 inches per year and winter winds reach 60 mph.
The port however does not freeze allowing barge traffic year round.

In 2000 the railroad tunnel was transformed into the longest vehicle tunnel in North America.
The picture abouve is of a train emerging from the tunnel.

Here is a sequence of pictures showing the train.

Here is a picture of the tunnel entrance as we approached it by car.

After the train cleared the tunnel we were allowed to proceed into the tunnel to Whittier.
More later.

John Bagley

Edited by - Bbags on 09/10/2005 1:28:52 PM

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/10/2005 :  1:25:16 PM  Show Profile
Rick,
Yes most of the glaciers in Alaska are receding but whether it is due to global warming you will get different opinions from different people.
There are still advancing glaciers which seems to contradict this theory.
Also during the ice age these glaciers could be found as far south as Pennsylvania in the US.

Pictures Part II "Whittier Alaska"

Whittier is a city found on an ice free body of water and the city itself is a historical landmark that was established by the US Army during WWII as a "secret port".
The city is surrounded by water and mountains and the only access by land is through a 2.5 mile railroad tunnel constructed in 1943.
Then Whittier became the primary port for troops and cargo bound for Alaska.
The Army left Whittier in the 1960's and the population dropped from 1200 down to the present day population of 300 permanent residents.

All rolling stock with products for Alaska are delivered to this port and then moved by train to the interior.
The weather has a maximum temperature of 84 degrees and a minimum of minus 29.
The average snowfall is 260 inches per year and winter winds reach 60 mph.
The port however does not freeze allowing barge traffic year round.

In 2000 the railroad tunnel was transformed into the longest vehicle tunnel in North America.
The picture abouve is of a train emerging from the tunnel.

Here is a sequence of pictures showing the train.

Here is a picture of the tunnel entrance as we approached it by car.

After the train cleared the tunnel we were allowed to proceed into the tunnel to Whittier.
More later.

John Bagley

Edited by - Bbags on 09/10/2005 1:28:52 PM

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/10/2005 :  4:34:41 PM  Show Profile
Now that the train has passed through the tunnel it is time for the cars to proceed along the same route.

I took these pictures from a moving car thus they are a bit blurry.
However there is no place to stop as you travel the 2.5 miles through the mountain.

The light at the end of the tunnel.

The following picture I took off of the net as it gives a look at Whittier from the air.
The tunnel is to the far right in the picture and the barges come in on the far left.
The water is across the bottom of the picture in front of the tracks.
Whittier is a fan shaped town approximately one square mile in area.

John Bagley

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/10/2005 :  4:34:41 PM  Show Profile
Now that the train has passed through the tunnel it is time for the cars to proceed along the same route.

I took these pictures from a moving car thus they are a bit blurry.
However there is no place to stop as you travel the 2.5 miles through the mountain.

The light at the end of the tunnel.

The following picture I took off of the net as it gives a look at Whittier from the air.
The tunnel is to the far right in the picture and the barges come in on the far left.
The water is across the bottom of the picture in front of the tracks.
Whittier is a fan shaped town approximately one square mile in area.

John Bagley

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/12/2005 :  12:43:42 PM  Show Profile
As we emerged from the tunnel the first thing we saw was this hotel built on the water that was only under construction when I last visited.
I have been told that it is already on the market to be sold.

The other large structure that we saw is Begich Towers which housed military families before the Army left Whittier.
This has been converted into condominiums and houses most of the permanent residents of Whittier.

Whittier's economy depends upon the fishing industry, charter boat operations, cruise ships in port, and the commercial deep water port.

There is a very large small boat dock and here are a few of the boats that are docked there.

Unfortunately it was near the end of the cruise ship season and we did not see one while there.

There is also car ferry service to other ports in Alaska.

The most interesting part is the railroad car barges since all products from the lower 48 are brought to Alaska on these barges.
They come once a week, usually on Tuesday and it is normally Thursday before they are completely unloaded and then reloaded for the return to Seattle Washington.

Security was more in evidence this time and I was unable to get very close but here are a couple of pictures of rolling stock being unloaded.

The following picture was taken from a good distance away but you can see the barge with rolling stock on the left.

We were able to return on Thursday to see the barge leave and I did get some better pictures.

More later.

John Bagley

Page: of 6 Previous Topic: Clinchfield photos Topic Next Topic: Interesting barn  
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000