Railroad Line Forums - THE GALLERY: September 2005, "Models and Layouts"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 106 ]  [ Total: 110 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 THE GALLERY: September 2005, "Models and Layouts"
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Interesting barn Topic Next Topic: Overall views of your layout
Page: of 13

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  2:27:57 PM  Show Profile
Well, it looks like we are off to a good start with this month's Gallery.

George, I would also love to see some more pictures of your club's layout. BTW, who is that distinguished gent standing up in your picture, and what is he reaching for with his left hand?

Steve, you can see from the responses, that you picked a great picture to start with.

TomPM
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  2:38:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit TomPM's Homepage  Send TomPM a Yahoo! Message
Awesome start to the gallery!

Steve love your "doctored" image. How did you do it?

Tom
Jack of All Trades Master of None
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
NARA Member #100

TomPM
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  2:38:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit TomPM's Homepage  Send TomPM a Yahoo! Message
Awesome start to the gallery!

Tom
My Rail Images Gallery
NARA Member #100

TomPM
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  2:47:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit TomPM's Homepage  Send TomPM a Yahoo! Message
Here are a couple off the Grain Elevator Diorama.

Tom
My Rail Images Gallery
NARA Member #100

TomPM
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  2:47:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit TomPM's Homepage  Send TomPM a Yahoo! Message
Here are a couple off the Grain Elevator Diorama.

Tom
My Rail Images Gallery
NARA Member #100

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  2:59:49 PM  Show Profile
Steve: looks good and I like your use of kits. I'd like to see more as well.
Tom: the diorama looks good.

I'm hoping that this month proves to be productive for me so that I have some photos to post here.

Joe <><

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  2:59:49 PM  Show Profile
Steve: looks good and I like your use of kits. I'd like to see more as well.
Tom: the diorama looks good.

I'm hoping that this month proves to be productive for me so that I have some photos to post here.

Joe <><

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  3:10:54 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the kind words, Guys.

Allen, I'm glad you like the perspective. Part of the perspective is the way I attached the photo-backdrops to the wall. Starting from the corner, I made each one just a smoosh 9about 1/8") higher than the previous one. That way it gives some subtle perspective to the backdrop as shown in this early construction pic.

Regarding disguising the corner, other than using the water tower dead in the corner, I really didn't do anything. I think the lights and the white wall make it look that way in photos.

As far as the tracks go, why gosh, they go all the way to Macon! Seriously, he says sheepishly, I used the old mirror trick for both the highway and the track. I just used a plain old mirror tile from the DIY store and cut it with my glass cutter.

Dave, The Marlinton kit was a nice one to build with no particular glitches. However, like many structure kits, I had to "Southernize" it some to get it to look right. First, I reversed the passenger and baggage sections to make it resemble the Wadley depot in later years. Then I gave it a currugated roof, left off the typical C&O trim, made a wood platform and added the details. Here's a closer shot. (Allen, you can kind of make out the corner in this one.)

Glad you enjoy.

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  3:10:54 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the kind words, Guys.

Allen, I'm glad you like the perspective. Part of the perspective is the way I attached the photo-backdrops to the wall. Starting from the corner, I made each one just a smoosh 9about 1/8") higher than the previous one. That way it gives some subtle perspective to the backdrop as shown in this early construction pic.

Regarding disguising the corner, other than using the water tower dead in the corner, I really didn't do anything. I think the lights and the white wall make it look that way in photos.

As far as the tracks go, why gosh, they go all the way to Macon! Seriously, he says sheepishly, I used the old mirror trick for both the highway and the track. I just used a plain old mirror tile from the DIY store and cut it with my glass cutter.

Dave, The Marlinton kit was a nice one to build with no particular glitches. However, like many structure kits, I had to "Southernize" it some to get it to look right. First, I reversed the passenger and baggage sections to make it resemble the Wadley depot in later years. Then I gave it a currugated roof, left off the typical C&O trim, made a wood platform and added the details. Here's a closer shot. (Allen, you can kind of make out the corner in this one.)

Glad you enjoy.

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  3:21:35 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by TomPM

Tom, being somewhat technologically challenged, I've never learned Photoshop. So, I use a very simple photo editing program called Photo Plus 4. But, like it's more advanced counterparts, it does ha ve a "clone" feature that enables you to duplicate/copy a section of the image somewhere else. So I just merrily cloned along until the benchwork disappeared, then cloned a few of the trees to use as bushes, and voila!

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  3:21:35 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by TomPM

Tom, being somewhat technologically challenged, I've never learned Photoshop. So, I use a very simple photo editing program called Photo Plus 4. But, like it's more advanced counterparts, it does ha ve a "clone" feature that enables you to duplicate/copy a section of the image somewhere else. So I just merrily cloned along until the benchwork disappeared, then cloned a few of the trees to use as bushes, and voila!

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  4:31:09 PM  Show Profile
At the risk of getting boring, here are another couple of pics.

This is the entire passenger fleet of the Louisville & Wadley Southern, a center door combine built sometime in the last century. The basis is a La Belle Woodworking combine, severely kitbashed to get the baggage compartment in the center. The interior is detailed, and I'll ge3t a few people in their.

Here is the inspiration for both the car itself, and for the particular photo setup.

The photo was taken by the late W. F. Beckum, Jr. who photographed many Georgia Railroads in the 1940's & 1950's. He loaned me his entire collection of GA short line negatives which have served as the basis for a lot of my modeling.

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  4:31:09 PM  Show Profile
At the risk of getting boring, here are another couple of pics.

This is the entire passenger fleet of the Louisville & Wadley Southern, a center door combine built sometime in the last century. The basis is a La Belle Woodworking combine, severely kitbashed to get the baggage compartment in the center. The interior is detailed, and I'll ge3t a few people in their.

Here is the inspiration for both the car itself, and for the particular photo setup.

The photo was taken by the late W. F. Beckum, Jr. who photographed many Georgia Railroads in the 1940's & 1950's. He loaned me his entire collection of GA short line negatives which have served as the basis for a lot of my modeling.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  6:57:21 PM  Show Profile
Allen. Our club's web site is: http://www.trainweb.org/cbw/ It's been neglected, so the information isn't up to date.

Bruce. We use FRS radios for communications so my left hand is pushing the mike button on my radio. I was probably engaged in a friendly conversation with one of our engineers.

Steve. I like that curved turnout coming off your new trestle. It makes the track work flow very nicely. I love that La Belle combine. Very nice work.

George

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  6:57:21 PM  Show Profile
Allen. Our club's web site is: http://www.trainweb.org/cbw/ It's been neglected, so the information isn't up to date.

Bruce. We use FRS radios for communications so my left hand is pushing the mike button on my radio. I was probably engaged in a friendly conversation with one of our engineers.

Steve. I like that curved turnout coming off your new trestle. It makes the track work flow very nicely. I love that La Belle combine. Very nice work.

George

Page: of 13 Previous Topic: Interesting barn Topic Next Topic: Overall views of your layout  
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000