Railroad Line Forums - THE GALLERY: September 2005, "Models and Layouts"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 131 ]  [ Total: 135 ]  [ Newest Member: colind ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 THE GALLERY: September 2005, "Models and Layouts"
Next Page
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Interesting barn Topic Next Topic: Overall views of your layout
Page: of 13

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  06:29:08 AM  Show Profile
With the Dog Days of Summer behind us, it is time to turn our attention back to the two of the essential areas that bring us together here on the Forum—our models and our layouts.

Here is an opportunity to share photos of those modeling projects that you have been working on, or simply photos from around your layout. This is a pretty broad theme, and should allow members who have not posted to the Gallery before to jump right in.

As always, please adhere to the following posting requirements: photo files should be no more than 80kb @ 72ppi in size - even if downloading from a remote server or website - and can be no more than 7 inches in width (to prevent viewers from having to scroll back and forth to see the entire photo or read text on the same page).

Photo submissions not meeting the above requirements will be resized by the Moderator.

Now don't be shy. I am sure that we all have some photos in our collection that would be of interest to our fellow Forum members.

If any of you have suggestions for future Gallery themes, send me an e-mail or use the Forum's PM system.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  08:26:59 AM  Show Profile
Here's a behind the scenes look at our club layout. Normally we use one dispatcher, but for open houses, we use two. We split the layout in half to make the job easier.

George

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  08:26:59 AM  Show Profile
Here's a behind the scenes look at our club layout. Normally we use one dispatcher, but for open houses, we use two. We split the layout in half to make the job easier.

George

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  11:31:22 AM  Show Profile
Hey, Bruce, sounds like another fun Gallery. Here's my initial contribution. As many of you know, my in-progress Louisville & Wadley Southern is based on the 10 mile Louisville & Wadley RR in Georgia. One of my layout "givens" is modeling the elements of a small Southern town. And while my town is called Wadley, I haven't tried to model the town exactly; rather, I've tried to capture the flavor and spirit of a typical Southern town.

Here's a long overview of the town of Wadley, Ga. on my current layout, showing a C of G freight meeting an L&WS mixed coming int town from the L&WS main. As you'll see from the next photo, this one has been heavily edited.

Most of the structures I've used in this scene have been accumulated over a period of many years. And, while I'm not averse to scratchbuilding or building craftsman kits, I'm also not averse to taking a cheap plastic kit and kitbashing it into something it's not.
This photo shows the different structure kits that went into the scene. (See what I mean about the previous photo?)

Hope you enjoy.

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  11:31:22 AM  Show Profile
Hey, Bruce, sounds like another fun Gallery. Here's my initial contribution. As many of you know, my in-progress Louisville & Wadley Southern is based on the 10 mile Louisville & Wadley RR in Georgia. One of my layout "givens" is modeling the elements of a small Southern town. And while my town is called Wadley, I haven't tried to model the town exactly; rather, I've tried to capture the flavor and spirit of a typical Southern town.

Here's a long overview of the town of Wadley, Ga. on my current layout, showing a C of G freight meeting an L&WS mixed coming int town from the L&WS main. As you'll see from the next photo, this one has been heavily edited.

Most of the structures I've used in this scene have been accumulated over a period of many years. And, while I'm not averse to scratchbuilding or building craftsman kits, I'm also not averse to taking a cheap plastic kit and kitbashing it into something it's not.
This photo shows the different structure kits that went into the scene. (See what I mean about the previous photo?)

Hope you enjoy.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  12:18:49 PM  Show Profile
Nice scene Steve. There's nothing wrong with making a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

George

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  12:18:49 PM  Show Profile
Nice scene Steve. There's nothing wrong with making a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

George

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  1:06:50 PM  Show Profile
Steve, that's an excellent scene, no matter which photo I look at. I really like your use of a wide variety of structures.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  1:06:50 PM  Show Profile
Steve, that's an excellent scene, no matter which photo I look at. I really like your use of a wide variety of structures.

anbhurst

Premium Member

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  2:00:03 PM  Show Profile
George,

Your picture has sparked an interest in seeing some more shots of you club layout. Does your club have a website? If not, would you take and post some more pictures of it?

Thanks!

Steve,

That is GREAT perspective! Could you, . .would you show us the corner from the far end (to the right)? Do the rails penetrate through the wall, or just end? In the second picture, I see a corner underneath the table which you have very effectively covered with your background above it.

Thanks,

Allen
Modellin' the East in the West!

quote:
Originally posted by George D

Here's a behind the scenes look at our club layout. . .

Allen
Modeling the East in the West on the Northeastern Pacific RIM, Oregon, that is!

anbhurst

Premium Member

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  2:00:03 PM  Show Profile
George,

Your picture has sparked an interest in seeing some more shots of you club layout. Does your club have a website? If not, would you take and post some more pictures of it?

Thanks!

Steve,

That is GREAT perspective! Could you, . .would you show us the corner from the far end (to the right)? Do the rails penetrate through the wall, or just end? In the second picture, I see a corner underneath the table which you have very effectively covered with your background above it.

Thanks,

Allen
Modellin' the East in the West!

quote:
Originally posted by George D

Here's a behind the scenes look at our club layout. . .

Allen
Modeling the East in the West on the Northeastern Pacific RIM, Oregon, that is!

jknapp
Fireman

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  2:05:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit jknapp's Homepage
Steve,

I remember seeing your layout featured in MR a while back. I think it was your old layout...? Anyway, I was impressed back then and I'm still impressed. I think you've definitely achieved the look and feel of a small southern town. Really nice work.

jknapp
Fireman

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  2:05:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit jknapp's Homepage
Steve,

I remember seeing your layout featured in MR a while back. I think it was your old layout...? Anyway, I was impressed back then and I'm still impressed. I think you've definitely achieved the look and feel of a small southern town. Really nice work.

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  2:08:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage
Hi, Steve-
I enjoyed seeing your overview of beautiful downtown Wadley. I've loved the Marlinton station since I first saw it in West Virginia many years ago. It was, as you know, the standard C&O design in its time.

It is interesting how an Eastern structure fits so well into a GA town. In fact, I've noticed previously how familiar your GA small-town photos look to my eye, and I've never been anywhere near Georgia. Except for the mountains, WV small towns seem to be identical to GA ones for some reason.

Anyway, I bought the Quality Craft kit years ago for my (then unnamed) WV railroad. It is still unbuilt, but it won't stay that way much longer. I have also been buying them on Ebay and presently have three more.

Did you run into any bugs or glitches while building the kit? And may we have some close-up shots?
-Dave

-Dave

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  2:08:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage
Hi, Steve-
I enjoyed seeing your overview of beautiful downtown Wadley. I've loved the Marlinton station since I first saw it in West Virginia many years ago. It was, as you know, the standard C&O design in its time.

It is interesting how an Eastern structure fits so well into a GA town. In fact, I've noticed previously how familiar your GA small-town photos look to my eye, and I've never been anywhere near Georgia. Except for the mountains, WV small towns seem to be identical to GA ones for some reason.

Anyway, I bought the Quality Craft kit years ago for my (then unnamed) WV railroad. It is still unbuilt, but it won't stay that way much longer. I have also been buying them on Ebay and presently have three more.

Did you run into any bugs or glitches while building the kit? And may we have some close-up shots?
-Dave

-Dave

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  2:27:57 PM  Show Profile
Well, it looks like we are off to a good start with this month's Gallery.

George, I would also love to see some more pictures of your club's layout. BTW, who is that distinguished gent standing up in your picture, and what is he reaching for with his left hand?

Steve, you can see from the responses, that you picked a great picture to start with.

Page: of 13 Previous Topic: Interesting barn Topic Next Topic: Overall views of your layout  
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000