Railroad Line Forums - Remembering Jack Work
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 110 ]  [ Total: 117 ]  [ Newest Member: pctrain19 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Remembering Jack Work
Previous Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Just a shack..... Topic Next Topic: Resin casting problem
Page: of 3

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  8:42:53 PM  Show Profile
Are you 14 yet , Tyson ??

T

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  8:42:53 PM  Show Profile
Are you 14 yet , Tyson ??

T

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  12:51:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage
I wonder what it was about Jack Work's scratchbuilding articles that inspired us young modelers to give it a try. He certainly didn't dumb-down his models, far from it, but he somehow made things seem DOABLE.

I built a couple of bridges from Jack's articles. This was the first one:

It was built in the late 70's or early 80's and was my first major attempt at using styrene. The under-bracing was quite complicated and I believe Unca' Jack gave you the option of fudging the model. I built mine down to the last rivet and found the experience very satisfying. It made me want to do more.

You can see that this was also an early experiment for me in scenery construction and using natural materials. Unfortunately, this model no longer exists; it was knocked to the floor by a cat.

I did manage to photograph the model in front of a real river before that accident:

I think I'd like to rebuild this model. If anyone can tell me what issue of MR the article appeared in, or if it was ever reprinted, I would really appreciate it.
-Dave

-Dave

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  12:51:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage
I wonder what it was about Jack Work's scratchbuilding articles that inspired us young modelers to give it a try. He certainly didn't dumb-down his models, far from it, but he somehow made things seem DOABLE.

I built a couple of bridges from Jack's articles. This was the first one:

It was built in the late 70's or early 80's and was my first major attempt at using styrene. The under-bracing was quite complicated and I believe Unca' Jack gave you the option of fudging the model. I built mine down to the last rivet and found the experience very satisfying. It made me want to do more.

You can see that this was also an early experiment for me in scenery construction and using natural materials. Unfortunately, this model no longer exists; it was knocked to the floor by a cat.

I did manage to photograph the model in front of a real river before that accident:

I think I'd like to rebuild this model. If anyone can tell me what issue of MR the article appeared in, or if it was ever reprinted, I would really appreciate it.
-Dave

-Dave

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  1:12:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage
A friend of mine had some of Jack Work's articles on rolling stock, and had sort of a problem. It seems that Jack often listed the lumber in odd, non standard sizes such as 5-3/4" by 7-1/2", etc. My friend never did figure out why Jack didn't stick to standard sizes, guessing that he probably cut his own stripwood.

Bob Boudreau
My model railroad photography website:
http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  1:12:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage
A friend of mine had some of Jack Work's articles on rolling stock, and had sort of a problem. It seems that Jack often listed the lumber in odd, non standard sizes such as 5-3/4" by 7-1/2", etc. My friend never did figure out why Jack didn't stick to standard sizes, guessing that he probably cut his own stripwood.

Bob Boudreau
My model railroad photography website:
http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 09/10/2005 :  09:58:49 AM  Show Profile
Dave , if I run into the article at the Club library , I'll pass it along to you ....probably 50's - 60's which we have all of .

Terry

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 09/10/2005 :  09:58:49 AM  Show Profile
Dave , if I run into the article at the Club library , I'll pass it along to you ....probably 50's - 60's which we have all of .

Terry

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

Posted - 09/11/2005 :  10:01:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by railphotog

I've read most of Jack's articles and I can tell you that he always measured his prototypes very carefully. If he wrote that such and such board was 7-1/2" wide, you could take that to the bank.

I believe the reason that Jack didn't specify "standard" stripwood sizes is that he realized that by doing so he would only be compounding errors in subsequent models.

I'm also certain that he never cut his own stripwood; in fact, he always aimed his articles at we modelers on a limited budget.

I have been building another bridge from a Jack Work atricle:

Jack's list of wood beam sizes for this structure was enormous. Again, Unca' Jack gave us permission to fudge if we couldn't find the exact stripwood sizes commercially available.

In these modern times I was able to find all wood sizes from several manufacturers except one. That I was easily able to fabricate by gluing two standard pieces together.

-Dave

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

Posted - 09/11/2005 :  10:01:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by railphotog

I've read most of Jack's articles and I can tell you that he always measured his prototypes very carefully. If he wrote that such and such board was 7-1/2" wide, you could take that to the bank.

I believe the reason that Jack didn't specify "standard" stripwood sizes is that he realized that by doing so he would only be compounding errors in subsequent models.

I'm also certain that he never cut his own stripwood; in fact, he always aimed his articles at we modelers on a limited budget.

I have been building another bridge from a Jack Work atricle:

Jack's list of wood beam sizes for this structure was enormous. Again, Unca' Jack gave us permission to fudge if we couldn't find the exact stripwood sizes commercially available.

In these modern times I was able to find all wood sizes from several manufacturers except one. That I was easily able to fabricate by gluing two standard pieces together.

-Dave

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  4:46:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by teejay

Terry

Thanks, Teejay--
However I recently remembered that there is quite a good magazine index at Trains.com.
http://index.mrmag.com/ should bring you right to the index.

A very quick search located all of Jack's articles including the one about the girder bridge that I was looking for. The article first appeared in MR, May,1966, p.24. It was reprinted in Model Railroad BRIDGES & TRESTLES,1992, p.54. I highly recommend the latter book to any model railroader.

I also found in the index Jack's obituary, "Remembering Jack Work." It was in the September, 1996 MR, p.14. I wonder if that's why you titled this thread as such. (?)
-Dave

-Dave

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  4:46:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by teejay

Terry

Thanks, Teejay--
However I recently remembered that there is quite a good magazine index at Trains.com.
http://index.mrmag.com/ should bring you right to the index.

A very quick search located all of Jack's articles including the one about the girder bridge that I was looking for. The article first appeared in MR, May,1966, p.24. It was reprinted in Model Railroad BRIDGES & TRESTLES,1992, p.54. I highly recommend the latter book to any model railroader.

I also found in the index Jack's obituary, "Remembering Jack Work." It was in the September, 1996 MR, p.14. I wonder if that's why you titled this thread as such. (?)
-Dave

-Dave

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  5:00:08 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for looking that up Dave ...I'll check out those issues at the Tuesday meeting .

My title was a coincidence . I like to remember many of the old modelers ( many deceased unfortunately ) who inspired me and many others . Given the limited resources , but unlimited ingenuity , they were and continue to be my heroes .

Terry

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  5:00:08 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for looking that up Dave ...I'll check out those issues at the Tuesday meeting .

My title was a coincidence . I like to remember many of the old modelers ( many deceased unfortunately ) who inspired me and many others . Given the limited resources , but unlimited ingenuity , they were and continue to be my heroes .

Terry

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Just a shack..... Topic Next Topic: Resin casting problem  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.98 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000