Railroad Line Forums - Scratch-building locomotives
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 113 ]  [ Total: 114 ]  [ Newest Member: colind ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Scratch-building locomotives
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Topic Next Topic: welding shed
Page: of 3

Wallace
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  01:27:04 AM  Show Profile
Is anyone on the Forum interested in exchanging ideas on scratch-building Steam locomotives?

PaulD
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  03:02:38 AM  Show Profile
Absolutely Wallace, in fact my father and I are working on an 1-3/4" gauge live steam K1 Beyer Garret, a 7-1/4" gauge Forney as well as numerous other live steam projects. Always interested in comparing notes.
PaulD

PaulD
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  03:02:38 AM  Show Profile
Absolutely Wallace, in fact my father and I are working on an 1-3/4" gauge live steam K1 Beyer Garret, a 7-1/4" gauge Forney as well as numerous other live steam projects. Always interested in comparing notes.
PaulD

Hauk
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  08:11:31 AM  Show Profile
I am not scratchbuilding steam engines, but if you take a closer look on the driving wheels of the engine I am going to tackle next, we might have something to talk about after all!

I scratchbuild boxcab electrics in 0m gauge (1/45, 22,22 mm gauge), and I think that a lot of my challenges are the same as a modeller building steam engines in any scale. We all have to find drivers, build mechanisms, cast parts, maybe do some etching, etc. etc.

Hope to see more postings on scratchbuilding engines, regardless of scale and prototype!

Hauk
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  08:11:31 AM  Show Profile
I am not scratchbuilding steam engines, but if you take a closer look on the driving wheels of the engine I am going to tackle next, we might have something to talk about after all!

I scratchbuild boxcab electrics in 0m gauge (1/45, 22,22 mm gauge), and I think that a lot of my challenges are the same as a modeller building steam engines in any scale. We all have to find drivers, build mechanisms, cast parts, maybe do some etching, etc. etc.

Hope to see more postings on scratchbuilding engines, regardless of scale and prototype!

nalmeida
Fireman

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  09:05:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit nalmeida's Homepage
I like scratchbuilding a lot Wallace but steam loco's are some of the most dificult examples to start on :) At the moment I'm on little diesel critters.

Hauk, judging from your previous work I'll be looking forward to your progress on future projects.

Edited by - nalmeida on 08/09/2005 09:06:49 AM

nalmeida
Fireman

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  09:05:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit nalmeida's Homepage
I like scratchbuilding a lot Wallace but steam loco's are some of the most dificult examples to start on :) At the moment I'm on little diesel critters.

Hauk, judging from your previous work I'll be looking forward to your progress on future projects.

Edited by - nalmeida on 08/09/2005 09:06:49 AM

Hauk
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  10:51:34 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by nalmeida

Thanks a lot!
My main reason for taking all the trouble to scratchbuild an engine in brass is to get an unique, true to the prototype model.

So I will start by visiting the dusty archives of the company that owned these engines. I have already found out that the archives containes several *large* manillla folders with the original blueprints for the engines. Its at least 50 large blueprints (around 45" X 30"). From these drawings and my own measurements I will prepare a set of CAD drawings. The CAD drawings will be the basis for the etchings artwork.

So there will be at least a couple of years before I can post any pictures of the actual model under construction!

Hauk
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  10:51:34 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by nalmeida

Thanks a lot!
My main reason for taking all the trouble to scratchbuild an engine in brass is to get an unique, true to the prototype model.

So I will start by visiting the dusty archives of the company that owned these engines. I have already found out that the archives containes several *large* manillla folders with the original blueprints for the engines. Its at least 50 large blueprints (around 45" X 30"). From these drawings and my own measurements I will prepare a set of CAD drawings. The CAD drawings will be the basis for the etchings artwork.

So there will be at least a couple of years before I can post any pictures of the actual model under construction!

Wallace
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  6:09:31 PM  Show Profile
Gentlemen: My experience is limited to HO gauge scratch-built steam locomotives. Los Angeles, California, has an excellent live-steam group that operates for the public in Griffith Park on weekends, but their work is outside my interests and time. I hope, however, that ideas can be posted by metal-worker "scratchers".

Wallace
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  6:09:31 PM  Show Profile
Gentlemen: My experience is limited to HO gauge scratch-built steam locomotives. Los Angeles, California, has an excellent live-steam group that operates for the public in Griffith Park on weekends, but their work is outside my interests and time. I hope, however, that ideas can be posted by metal-worker "scratchers".

woodman40
New Hire

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  6:01:55 PM  Show Profile
The very best primer to scratch building a steam locomotive is the very old MR article by Mel Thornburgh. It details, in multiple issues, the steps to build an O scale Wabash Mogul. The techinques are valid in most scales, depending upon the age of your unaided eyeballs. I used it to put wonderful open frames under a couple of Carey boilered locos. Article ends in June 1959, I know that 'cause I have that issue open right now.

woodman40
New Hire

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  6:01:55 PM  Show Profile
The very best primer to scratch building a steam locomotive is the very old MR article by Mel Thornburgh. It details, in multiple issues, the steps to build an O scale Wabash Mogul. The techinques are valid in most scales, depending upon the age of your unaided eyeballs. I used it to put wonderful open frames under a couple of Carey boilered locos. Article ends in June 1959, I know that 'cause I have that issue open right now.

PaulD
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/13/2005 :  07:17:09 AM  Show Profile
Wallace,
HO SCALE LIVE STEAMERS
Wow that sounds interesting, how do you fire them? Spirits? Ballast size coal? I've part built an 1-3/4" 0:6:0 single inside cylinder but HO scale
I'd like you to share a little more there, do you use outside valve gear? inside single cylinder? What valve motion are you interested in or use at that scale?
I saw the Hornby HO live steamer at an exhibition in June it looked great, lots of steam and oil drops everywhere, not sure I'd want that inside over my home layout.

Woodman
Speaking of reference material, have any of you guys & gals checked out the offerings of Camden Miniature Steam Services:
Barrow Farm, Rode, NR Frome Somerset BA11 6PS
Phone 01373 830151
orders@camdenmin.demon.co.uk
(I haven't checked that email link)
There catalogue is Dangerous
I could spend thousands on all the miniature workshop stuff they have, let alone the construction manuals like
Building the Climax [Hiraoka] or Building the Heisler [Hiraoka] I must get those 2 !!
PaulD

PaulD
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/13/2005 :  07:17:09 AM  Show Profile
Wallace,
HO SCALE LIVE STEAMERS
Wow that sounds interesting, how do you fire them? Spirits? Ballast size coal? I've part built an 1-3/4" 0:6:0 single inside cylinder but HO scale
I'd like you to share a little more there, do you use outside valve gear? inside single cylinder? What valve motion are you interested in or use at that scale?
I saw the Hornby HO live steamer at an exhibition in June it looked great, lots of steam and oil drops everywhere, not sure I'd want that inside over my home layout.

Woodman
Speaking of reference material, have any of you guys & gals checked out the offerings of Camden Miniature Steam Services:
Barrow Farm, Rode, NR Frome Somerset BA11 6PS
Phone 01373 830151
orders@camdenmin.demon.co.uk
(I haven't checked that email link)
There catalogue is Dangerous
I could spend thousands on all the miniature workshop stuff they have, let alone the construction manuals like
Building the Climax [Hiraoka] or Building the Heisler [Hiraoka] I must get those 2 !!
PaulD

Wallace
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/15/2005 :  01:34:15 AM  Show Profile
To Paul D: I apologize if I have left an erroneous impression. I have built HO gauge models of steam locomotives, operated by electric motors. I did know of a gentleman who built an HO live-steam locomotive, but that was over 45 years ago; I saw the model on display, but not operating. MR had an article once about a man who built a "cold-steam" locomotive; it ran on dry ice, contained in the tender. His name was Emil Vollenweider, and upon his passing, the locomotive was offered for sale in MR. There was no word about a buyer, however.
My reference to Live-Steam locos was meant to refer to the Live Steam Club in Griffith Park, Los Angeles, California.
There was another gentleman on this board who showed a picture of an HO brass loco he was building, but I have not seen any postings since. I realize that the availability of numerous models from the Far East may have discouraged scratch-building, but the satisfaction of placing something on the track that you have built from the ground up cannot be matched by a good paint job, decaling, and weathering on something you have bought.
This board is replete with evidence of the abilities of car and structure scratch-builders; where are the metal workers?

Page: of 3 Topic Next Topic: welding shed  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000