Railroad Line Forums - Copper Creek Mining Company
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 111 ]  [ Total: 112 ]  [ Newest Member: lewisoliver ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 Copper Creek Mining Company
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Micro Layouts from Japan Topic Next Topic: Nantahala Mining & Transportation Co.
Page: of 6

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  12:43:35 PM  Show Profile
Very nicely done, Cody!

NickO
Fireman

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  1:48:18 PM  Show Profile

Cody ,

Great looking layout , I will be watching progress with interest . It has been on my mind for some time to do something similar . Either in HOn3 or Gn15 . How did the track laying go ? Did you have any problems and if so how did you overcome them . Not really knowing the best way to lay the track has been the main reason I haven't got started .So any help would be very useful ,

NickO

NickO
Fireman

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  1:48:18 PM  Show Profile

Cody ,

Great looking layout , I will be watching progress with interest . It has been on my mind for some time to do something similar . Either in HOn3 or Gn15 . How did the track laying go ? Did you have any problems and if so how did you overcome them . Not really knowing the best way to lay the track has been the main reason I haven't got started .So any help would be very useful ,

NickO

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  11:04:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage
Thanks again everyone! I'm still working so there will be more to come...

Nick,
I didn't have that much trouble with the trackwork. It's Micro Engineering 'weathered' (blackened) flextrack with every other tie removed that was gradually bent untill the ends met. Lots of ties fell of during the bending. Enough stayed on to hold the gauge and they can be snapped back on if you need too. Then I just cut off the extra and soldered it together. I staggered the joint between the two rails for some reason-just seemed logical at the time. Also, before I glued down the track I soldered wires to the bottom of the rail for the power pack... I definitely didn't like the weathered rail, I had to file and clean areas to be soldered to get a good joint, so I'll probably be avoiding that in the future.

Good Luck,

Cody

Edited by - acousticco on 08/11/2005 11:05:18 PM

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  11:04:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage
Thanks again everyone! I'm still working so there will be more to come...

Nick,
I didn't have that much trouble with the trackwork. It's Micro Engineering 'weathered' (blackened) flextrack with every other tie removed that was gradually bent untill the ends met. Lots of ties fell of during the bending. Enough stayed on to hold the gauge and they can be snapped back on if you need too. Then I just cut off the extra and soldered it together. I staggered the joint between the two rails for some reason-just seemed logical at the time. Also, before I glued down the track I soldered wires to the bottom of the rail for the power pack... I definitely didn't like the weathered rail, I had to file and clean areas to be soldered to get a good joint, so I'll probably be avoiding that in the future.

Good Luck,

Cody

Edited by - acousticco on 08/11/2005 11:05:18 PM

NickO
Fireman

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  03:03:25 AM  Show Profile

Thanks Cody . You make it sound easy to do , when in fact I know that laying flextrack in a circle can be a real fiddle .Still , now that I see you have done it ,I don't have any excuse not to give it a try . Incidently , what glue did you use , and what did you attach the track to ?

NickO

NickO
Fireman

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  03:03:25 AM  Show Profile

Thanks Cody . You make it sound easy to do , when in fact I know that laying flextrack in a circle can be a real fiddle .Still , now that I see you have done it ,I don't have any excuse not to give it a try . Incidently , what glue did you use , and what did you attach the track to ?

NickO

pastor_t
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  03:30:38 AM  Show Profile
Nick,

You might try laying track by soldering the rail to gapped copperclad (PCB) sleepers. If you're going to bury the sleepers (ties) in ballast then it doesn't matter what they are made from. You can use any rail you like for this.

Lots of people say that hand-laying track is really difficult, but it can't be. I can do it

Tony

Edited by - pastor_t on 08/12/2005 03:31:48 AM

pastor_t
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  03:30:38 AM  Show Profile
Nick,

You might try laying track by soldering the rail to gapped copperclad (PCB) sleepers. If you're going to bury the sleepers (ties) in ballast then it doesn't matter what they are made from. You can use any rail you like for this.

Lots of people say that hand-laying track is really difficult, but it can't be. I can do it

Tony

Edited by - pastor_t on 08/12/2005 03:31:48 AM

NickO
Fireman

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  2:11:29 PM  Show Profile

Tony ,

I initially thought Cody had handlaid his track , until he put me straight . I would be tempted to try handlaying , especially now that you tell you can do it !
Time to start planning ...

NickO

NickO
Fireman

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  2:11:29 PM  Show Profile

Tony ,

I initially thought Cody had handlaid his track , until he put me straight . I would be tempted to try handlaying , especially now that you tell you can do it !
Time to start planning ...

NickO

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  4:36:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage
Hi Nick,
I used 'Pilobond' (I think) to glue the track down. The roadbed is HO scale cork that I just used half wide strips of. I added some track nails to hold the whole thing down while the glue dried. Lane Stewart wrote an article for the Gazette about mini layouts a while ago, where he talks about using flextrack to make the circle then solders PCB ties in place of the plastic ones. I'll see if I can dig up the issue. I have a loop of track I made with ME On30 flex that I did the same way, which I think was a bit easier to handle than the code 55 HOn3 stuff, and would probably look great for Gn15...

-Cody

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  4:36:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage
Hi Nick,
I used 'Pilobond' (I think) to glue the track down. The roadbed is HO scale cork that I just used half wide strips of. I added some track nails to hold the whole thing down while the glue dried. Lane Stewart wrote an article for the Gazette about mini layouts a while ago, where he talks about using flextrack to make the circle then solders PCB ties in place of the plastic ones. I'll see if I can dig up the issue. I have a loop of track I made with ME On30 flex that I did the same way, which I think was a bit easier to handle than the code 55 HOn3 stuff, and would probably look great for Gn15...

-Cody

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  5:08:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage
FYI
The mini layout article I mentioned is in the Nov/Dec 1996 NG&SLG.
-Cody

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  5:08:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage
FYI
The mini layout article I mentioned is in the Nov/Dec 1996 NG&SLG.
-Cody

Page: of 6 Previous Topic: Micro Layouts from Japan Topic Next Topic: Nantahala Mining & Transportation Co.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000