Railroad Line Forums - Scenes from 4516's Gravesite
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 112 ]  [ Total: 118 ]  [ Newest Member: Mark DeSchane ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 The Roundhouse
 Scenes from 4516's Gravesite
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: EBT #15 Returns for the 2005 Spectacular Topic Next Topic: Rick Whites NA Construction Log  

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/20/2005 :  10:31:30 PM  Show Profile

**Photos taken from a distance of about 10 feet at twilight through a chain link fence.**

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  12:58:28 AM  Show Profile
Mike,

Great pictures.. "Smokie" is in remarkable shape compared to the locos I've seen in Texas. Here they seem to accumulate a lot of rust. Thanks for sharing.

Jim

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  12:58:28 AM  Show Profile
Mike,

Great pictures.. "Smokie" is in remarkable shape compared to the locos I've seen in Texas. Here they seem to accumulate a lot of rust. Thanks for sharing.

Jim

Dave D
Fireman

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  07:18:23 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address
Great pics Mike.
Man, I saw an old restored Mack truck yesterday at a local dealer. Don't know the year. The one where the nose looks like the front of a 70's era street sweeper. Really nice. I can't take a pic right now as the wife has the camera with her at a china painters convention. I hope it is still there later this week. I'll post some if it is.

Edited by - Dave D on 06/21/2005 07:19:19 AM

Dave D
Fireman

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  07:18:23 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address
Great pics Mike.
Man, I saw an old restored Mack truck yesterday at a local dealer. Don't know the year. The one where the nose looks like the front of a 70's era street sweeper. Really nice. I can't take a pic right now as the wife has the camera with her at a china painters convention. I hope it is still there later this week. I'll post some if it is.

Edited by - Dave D on 06/21/2005 07:19:19 AM

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  09:57:04 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ANo10

Mike,

Jim

Jim, I think one of the reasons it's in such great shape is that it's a display on the Missouri State Fairgrounds. So I suspect it gets annual "maintenance" in the form of touch-up painting. Also, it's fenced off, which keeps people from climbing all over it and breaking or scratching things.

If I had had better lighting (and didn't have to shoot through the chain link), I would have tried to get a shot of the whole loco and tender. Typical of the 4-8-4 Northerns, the drivers are huge and so is the tender.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  09:57:04 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ANo10

Mike,

Jim

Jim, I think one of the reasons it's in such great shape is that it's a display on the Missouri State Fairgrounds. So I suspect it gets annual "maintenance" in the form of touch-up painting. Also, it's fenced off, which keeps people from climbing all over it and breaking or scratching things.

If I had had better lighting (and didn't have to shoot through the chain link), I would have tried to get a shot of the whole loco and tender. Typical of the 4-8-4 Northerns, the drivers are huge and so is the tender.

MP Rich
Fireman

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  4:42:34 PM  Show Profile
That old engine is in good shape for it's age. One of the big things on how long the engines on display hold up is how they were treated before they were placed. Some were held in reserve for potential use and others were just left to rot for a long period before the railroad disposed of them. If the group that arranged for the display was knowledgable about the engine,and well financed, they took a lot of time and effort to clean all the corrosive junk from the engine before painting. If all that alkaline grit and grime was left, the engine went down hill quickly. Most engines on display were just considered freebies by a lot of groups and there was not much effort to preserve them. Too bad for the fans of the future. Richard

MP Rich
Fireman

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  4:42:34 PM  Show Profile
That old engine is in good shape for it's age. One of the big things on how long the engines on display hold up is how they were treated before they were placed. Some were held in reserve for potential use and others were just left to rot for a long period before the railroad disposed of them. If the group that arranged for the display was knowledgable about the engine,and well financed, they took a lot of time and effort to clean all the corrosive junk from the engine before painting. If all that alkaline grit and grime was left, the engine went down hill quickly. Most engines on display were just considered freebies by a lot of groups and there was not much effort to preserve them. Too bad for the fans of the future. Richard

Sodbuster
Fireman

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  6:07:11 PM  Show Profile
Ft scott ks! Really. At least it isnt like the northern we have here in Wichita. The museum removed all of the shrouding around the broiler and put it in storage and when they went back some one had "Missplaced it" or something . as we have all been told. It has never reappeared agian lost for good. Oh they removed the sheet metal to remove the asbestos insulation. as most loco's on park displays all of the gauges were removed/ borrowed.and now rest's at the museum.

Edited by - Sodbuster on 08/19/2005 6:14:14 PM

Sodbuster
Fireman

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  6:07:11 PM  Show Profile
Ft scott ks! Really. At least it isnt like the northern we have here in Wichita. The museum removed all of the shrouding around the broiler and put it in storage and when they went back some one had "Missplaced it" or something . as we have all been told. It has never reappeared agian lost for good. Oh they removed the sheet metal to remove the asbestos insulation. as most loco's on park displays all of the gauges were removed/ borrowed.and now rest's at the museum.

Edited by - Sodbuster on 08/19/2005 6:14:14 PM

anbhurst

Premium Member

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  7:01:17 PM  Show Profile
Mike,

Thanks,

Allen
Modellin' the East in the West!

quote:
Originally posted by MikeC

Allen
Modeling the East in the West on the Northeastern Pacific RIM, Oregon, that is!

anbhurst

Premium Member

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  7:01:17 PM  Show Profile
Mike,

Thanks,

Allen
Modellin' the East in the West!

quote:
Originally posted by MikeC

Allen
Modeling the East in the West on the Northeastern Pacific RIM, Oregon, that is!

LiveSteamer
New Hire

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  8:58:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit LiveSteamer's Homepage  Send LiveSteamer an AOL message
Great Pictures Mike.

Matthew Miller

LiveSteamer
New Hire

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  8:58:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit LiveSteamer's Homepage  Send LiveSteamer an AOL message
Great Pictures Mike.

Matthew Miller

Previous Topic: EBT #15 Returns for the 2005 Spectacular Topic Next Topic: Rick Whites NA Construction Log  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000