Railroad Line Forums - Climaxes, Heislers, & Shays, Oh My!
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 128 ]  [ Total: 134 ]  [ Newest Member: colind ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 Climaxes, Heislers, & Shays, Oh My!
Next Page
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: THE GALLERY:  Oct.  2005, Little People at Work Topic Next Topic: horses and such
Page: of 6

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  8:00:51 PM  Show Profile
I thought that I would open a thread to post pictures of our favorite geared locomotives (either model or prototype).

I have the MDC Shay kit on the shelf, and hopefully I will attack it some time in the future. I also just bought the Rivarossi two-truck Heisler when the price got down to $89 at Trainworld. I have now had the chance to try it out on the layout. It creeps along at as slow a speed as you might want. It does have a distictive "gear noise", but then again, it is a geared lokie. Here are a few pictures. The detailing is quite nice, so all it needs, as far as I'm concerned, is some weathering.

Download Attachment: Heisler1a.JPG
62.88 KB

So please, if you have some photos of your own, please post them and give a little info about them.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  10:15:48 PM  Show Profile
That's a great looking Heisler, Bruce, and this is an excellent idea for a photo thread! I'll have some photos of my Shay to post after I get back home.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  10:15:48 PM  Show Profile
That's a great looking Heisler, Bruce, and this is an excellent idea for a photo thread! I'll have some photos of my Shay to post after I get back home.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 05/21/2005 :  08:17:33 AM  Show Profile
Bruce,
I like your latest acquisition. I'm glad to hear it runs as good as it looks. Is there room for a sound system in that tender?
George

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 05/21/2005 :  08:17:33 AM  Show Profile
Bruce,
I like your latest acquisition. I'm glad to hear it runs as good as it looks. Is there room for a sound system in that tender?
George

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 05/21/2005 :  10:14:52 AM  Show Profile

Hello all,

Boy, what a great topic. I have loved geared locomotives since I saw a Shay running out in California in 1964.

I used to paint and install PFM sound in brass engines for a local shop. I never got paid, but I would gather credits towards merchandise so I was able to get whatever I wanted. Well, I chose engines. It didn't really take long since paint and sound installed was at least $150 and I would get $100 bucks on a $150 job. Here are a few of my favorite geared locomotives in a setting that they like - low rail and tall timber.

Karl O.

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 05/21/2005 :  10:14:52 AM  Show Profile

Hello all,

Boy, what a great topic. I have loved geared locomotives since I saw a Shay running out in California in 1964.

I used to paint and install PFM sound in brass engines for a local shop. I never got paid, but I would gather credits towards merchandise so I was able to get whatever I wanted. Well, I chose engines. It didn't really take long since paint and sound installed was at least $150 and I would get $100 bucks on a $150 job. Here are a few of my favorite geared locomotives in a setting that they like - low rail and tall timber.

Karl O.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 05/21/2005 :  4:19:12 PM  Show Profile
Karl. That's a great collection you have. Excuse me while I wipe the drool off the keyboard.

George

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 05/21/2005 :  4:19:12 PM  Show Profile
Karl. That's a great collection you have. Excuse me while I wipe the drool off the keyboard.

George

fsmmodeler
Section Hand

Posted - 05/21/2005 :  4:46:46 PM  Show Profile
Karl,

I couldn't agree more. What a beautiful collection.
Scott

fsmmodeler
Section Hand

Posted - 05/21/2005 :  4:46:46 PM  Show Profile
Karl,

I couldn't agree more. What a beautiful collection.
Scott

neilmunck
New Hire

Premium Member

Posted - 05/21/2005 :  7:16:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit neilmunck's Homepage
I also like your collection Karl. I generally favour older, smaller locos but i think the class D shay is rather cool.

I have an example of the MDC 2-truck shay, the Bachmann 3-truck shay and climax and a Heisler just like dutchmans. I agree that they are a bit noisy and i think the pistons go too fast compared to the drivers but it just has the smoothest running or all of my locos.

Neil

neilmunck
New Hire

Premium Member

Posted - 05/21/2005 :  7:16:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit neilmunck's Homepage
I also like your collection Karl. I generally favour older, smaller locos but i think the class D shay is rather cool.

I have an example of the MDC 2-truck shay, the Bachmann 3-truck shay and climax and a Heisler just like dutchmans. I agree that they are a bit noisy and i think the pistons go too fast compared to the drivers but it just has the smoothest running or all of my locos.

Neil

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/21/2005 :  7:24:15 PM  Show Profile
Karl,
Those are some terrific locomotives! Any chance that you remember the manufacturers?

George, there is room for a DCC chip. Maybe these photos will help you.

Download Attachment: Heisler2a.JPG
43.21 KB

Download Attachment: Heisler3a.JPG
52.59 KB

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/21/2005 :  7:24:15 PM  Show Profile
Karl,
Those are some terrific locomotives! Any chance that you remember the manufacturers?

George, there is room for a DCC chip. Maybe these photos will help you.

Download Attachment: Heisler2a.JPG
43.21 KB

Download Attachment: Heisler3a.JPG
52.59 KB

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 05/21/2005 :  8:29:54 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Bruce. It's tempting....

George

Page: of 6 Previous Topic: THE GALLERY:  Oct.  2005, Little People at Work Topic Next Topic: horses and such  
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000