Railroad Line Forums - From Intrigue to Action
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 111 ]  [ Total: 115 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 From Intrigue to Action
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Packing it up! Topic Next Topic: Pizza anyone?
Page: of 9

Tileguy
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/11/2005 :  08:30:26 AM  Show Profile
Tyson, its not as tight as i thought.I blew a RS3 through those switches using a tech 260 damn the torpedoes full speed ahead for 30-40 loops(which didnt take long mind you).
I think rather than running 2 loops,i'll block it for 2 trains.mainline and switching line.I need to get my caboose ind throws on there.i cant back through a couple of those switches without getting positive locks on them.Other than that,
Its Operational!!!! :)
I'll be out of town all week. see you next weekend!!

Tileguy
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  08:38:46 AM  Show Profile
The Motel is Online Yipeee!!!!
On the drive down yesterday i got to thinking of operations for this Mini.Considering i have an outside loop and an inside point to point,it only seemed natural to consider the outer loop as a connection to the outside world.Perhaps a regional or even a branch of a class1 railroad.This gives me the opportunity to have the illusion of sending goods off line and recieving goods for delivery to the quarry etc.With trackage rights the small private line can use the little used branch for switching purposes.

I also got to thinking of how to take the mini concept to the next level.
What if we were to build several and in the process play out the scenes of 1 or 2 freight cars as they make thier way across country to another destination.Each side of every mini represents two differing scenes.with 2-4 modules an entire rail move across the country could be represented.
Wouldnt this be something to have as a display at a show

What do you think??

Tileguy
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  08:38:46 AM  Show Profile
The Motel is Online Yipeee!!!!
On the drive down yesterday i got to thinking of operations for this Mini.Considering i have an outside loop and an inside point to point,it only seemed natural to consider the outer loop as a connection to the outside world.Perhaps a regional or even a branch of a class1 railroad.This gives me the opportunity to have the illusion of sending goods off line and recieving goods for delivery to the quarry etc.With trackage rights the small private line can use the little used branch for switching purposes.

I also got to thinking of how to take the mini concept to the next level.
What if we were to build several and in the process play out the scenes of 1 or 2 freight cars as they make thier way across country to another destination.Each side of every mini represents two differing scenes.with 2-4 modules an entire rail move across the country could be represented.
Wouldnt this be something to have as a display at a show

What do you think??

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  09:01:24 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like a great plan to me.
To quote from your signature

"Get out of that armchair and get to work!!
An entire world is counting on you.:)"

I would say Go For It.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  09:01:24 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like a great plan to me.
To quote from your signature

"Get out of that armchair and get to work!!
An entire world is counting on you.:)"

I would say Go For It.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Wabash Banks
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  11:10:23 AM  Show Profile
I think it is a great idea!
I am working on a layout that is a mini with multiple micro's attached. I don't have the room for multiple minis, but the same idea is at the heart of it, you are representing a larger span of space than you are actually modeling. To me, unless you are running a Z or N scale room size layout then you just can't get enough mainline in to span from town to town very well and preserve the feeling of distance. View blocks are used a lot to fix this and that is what I am going to do. Each micro will have a view block between it and everything else. The idea being that there is a reasonable amount of distance between the two places even though it is a shortline. A mile or so is the distance I am going for.
I added the requirement for myself that each micro has to be a true micro. It is powered on its own and is a fully functional layout by itself. In that way I can do switching on it without a hook up to the mini. This will also be nice since if I have only a short amount of time I can perform switching on a micro and keep track of the train makeup and the destinations of everything. The next operation where I have a larger block of time, I can set the trains back up and finish their runs.

I also figure I can have 1 other person operate at the same time. There will be just enough space that 2 people can operate on the micro's. I will probably set the mini into 2 blocks that would also allow operation to be shared, 1 person on each side. A 3rd person serving dispatch on such a small layout would get bored I imagine, so the dispatch would be done before hand and 1 operator would be responsible for decision calls during the operation, essentially doubling as a dispatch. Since it is a shortline this doubling of the dispatching job would be feasible.

Like you, I was inspired by what Tyson had done. It really proved that I could build a reasonable layout in a very small area and not really sacrifice in service the line would provide. I have decided to expand my mini to 18X43 which allows for a lot of track.

Wabash Banks
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  11:10:23 AM  Show Profile
I think it is a great idea!
I am working on a layout that is a mini with multiple micro's attached. I don't have the room for multiple minis, but the same idea is at the heart of it, you are representing a larger span of space than you are actually modeling. To me, unless you are running a Z or N scale room size layout then you just can't get enough mainline in to span from town to town very well and preserve the feeling of distance. View blocks are used a lot to fix this and that is what I am going to do. Each micro will have a view block between it and everything else. The idea being that there is a reasonable amount of distance between the two places even though it is a shortline. A mile or so is the distance I am going for.
I added the requirement for myself that each micro has to be a true micro. It is powered on its own and is a fully functional layout by itself. In that way I can do switching on it without a hook up to the mini. This will also be nice since if I have only a short amount of time I can perform switching on a micro and keep track of the train makeup and the destinations of everything. The next operation where I have a larger block of time, I can set the trains back up and finish their runs.

I also figure I can have 1 other person operate at the same time. There will be just enough space that 2 people can operate on the micro's. I will probably set the mini into 2 blocks that would also allow operation to be shared, 1 person on each side. A 3rd person serving dispatch on such a small layout would get bored I imagine, so the dispatch would be done before hand and 1 operator would be responsible for decision calls during the operation, essentially doubling as a dispatch. Since it is a shortline this doubling of the dispatching job would be feasible.

Like you, I was inspired by what Tyson had done. It really proved that I could build a reasonable layout in a very small area and not really sacrifice in service the line would provide. I have decided to expand my mini to 18X43 which allows for a lot of track.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  5:20:52 PM  Show Profile
Gee guys it's nice to know I was so inspiring . That said I like the idea of connecting the layouts together to make a bigger layout. The idea is somewhat similar to Tony Koester's LDE's (Layout Design Elements)idea, which is to construct a layout one scene at a time rather the trying to build the whole layout at once. Although Tony really didn't advocate building such tiny sections , nor did they have to be seperate freestanding layouts.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  5:20:52 PM  Show Profile
Gee guys it's nice to know I was so inspiring . That said I like the idea of connecting the layouts together to make a bigger layout. The idea is somewhat similar to Tony Koester's LDE's (Layout Design Elements)idea, which is to construct a layout one scene at a time rather the trying to build the whole layout at once. Although Tony really didn't advocate building such tiny sections , nor did they have to be seperate freestanding layouts.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  5:53:11 PM  Show Profile
Todd, I read through your comments about being unable to post photos or find the "Insert a File" button. As John suggested, you are most likely using the "old" URL for the forum. You should change your bookmark if it is still set for this:
http://www.railroad-line.com/discussion/default.asp

That's the "gateway" to the old forum structure. It's still active to accommodate those members who have older computers/OS's and cannot use the new features (smileys, photo posting, private messaging, etc.) because of insufficient memory or software conflicts.

As John suggested, use www.railroad-line.com instead. Once you've accessed the forum through that gateway, when you click on the "Reply to Topic" button or the "Reply with Quote" button, the Posting Form window that comes up should have the "Insert a File" button right where the tutuorial picture shows it to be. All you need from that point on is to have the photo(s) you want to post located on your computer's hard drive.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  5:53:11 PM  Show Profile
Todd, I read through your comments about being unable to post photos or find the "Insert a File" button. As John suggested, you are most likely using the "old" URL for the forum. You should change your bookmark if it is still set for this:
http://www.railroad-line.com/discussion/default.asp

That's the "gateway" to the old forum structure. It's still active to accommodate those members who have older computers/OS's and cannot use the new features (smileys, photo posting, private messaging, etc.) because of insufficient memory or software conflicts.

As John suggested, use www.railroad-line.com instead. Once you've accessed the forum through that gateway, when you click on the "Reply to Topic" button or the "Reply with Quote" button, the Posting Form window that comes up should have the "Insert a File" button right where the tutuorial picture shows it to be. All you need from that point on is to have the photo(s) you want to post located on your computer's hard drive.

Wabash Banks
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  6:14:55 PM  Show Profile
I really like the tiny sections idea
You could also set it up in tiny modular format so that each micro attached to another micro to form individual scenes that also for the mainline of a railroad. I have to admit though I like the thought of a few micros that are the end of the line type and all hub back to the mini. In the mini design I have that only allows for 2 micros. I am sure that I will eventually add another one or two. I think I will add a weedy "Abandoned" section in the mini for future micro expansion. Could be a re-opened line after a new industry moves into the neighborhood.

Your layout impressed me more than any other in the challenge. A VERY close second was Templar Street, and for the exact same reason. There is no skimping. No less track than there should be, no less scenery and no less interest in operating. Those things make a micro great. Something that is little more than a slightly functioning diorama, while really neat, isn't very inspiring to me.It was those two layouts that prompted me to try and fix a lumber mill, small oil facility, a short spur for lumber unloading, a grain elevator and a coal dump all within 1 square foot. Plenty of track, lots of action and all the required scenery. So far it has been a huge amount of fun!!

Wabash Banks
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  6:14:55 PM  Show Profile
I really like the tiny sections idea
You could also set it up in tiny modular format so that each micro attached to another micro to form individual scenes that also for the mainline of a railroad. I have to admit though I like the thought of a few micros that are the end of the line type and all hub back to the mini. In the mini design I have that only allows for 2 micros. I am sure that I will eventually add another one or two. I think I will add a weedy "Abandoned" section in the mini for future micro expansion. Could be a re-opened line after a new industry moves into the neighborhood.

Your layout impressed me more than any other in the challenge. A VERY close second was Templar Street, and for the exact same reason. There is no skimping. No less track than there should be, no less scenery and no less interest in operating. Those things make a micro great. Something that is little more than a slightly functioning diorama, while really neat, isn't very inspiring to me.It was those two layouts that prompted me to try and fix a lumber mill, small oil facility, a short spur for lumber unloading, a grain elevator and a coal dump all within 1 square foot. Plenty of track, lots of action and all the required scenery. So far it has been a huge amount of fun!!

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  10:53:53 PM  Show Profile
Templar Street is an excellent layout, it was nice to see Jim do the urban thing while I was doing the rural thing!

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  10:53:53 PM  Show Profile
Templar Street is an excellent layout, it was nice to see Jim do the urban thing while I was doing the rural thing!

Page: of 9 Previous Topic: Packing it up! Topic Next Topic: Pizza anyone?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.7 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000