Railroad Line Forums - THE GALLERY: April 2005 - Lineside Industires
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 91 ]  [ Total: 92 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 THE GALLERY: April 2005 - Lineside Industires
Next Page
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: snow removal car Topic Next Topic: Nikon Coolpix 8700
Page: of 13

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  07:44:20 AM  Show Profile
Welcome to April, fellow model builders and rail enthusiasts, it is April 1st, and time for a new theme for the Gallery.

The theme for this month is the lifeblood of the freight railroad -- those industries who ship raw materials and finished products via the rails. From mines and sawmills to creameries and canneries, from factories and mills to grain towers and ice houses, from the local coal dealer to the lumber yard, let's showcase the structures and scenes that represent those loyal railroad customers. Both model and prototype photos are welcome.

As always, please adhere to the following posting requirements: photo files should be no more than 80kb @ 72ppi in size - even if downloading from a remote server or website - and can be no more than 7 inches in width (to prevent viewers from having to scroll back and forth to see the entire photo or read text on the same page).

Photo submissions not meeting the above requirements will be resized by the Moderator.

You regular Gallery visitors and contributors, let's jump right in. I would like to extend a special invitation to our newer members to post some pictures from their collection or to go out and take some new pictures to post.

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  11:57:40 AM  Show Profile
OK Bruce, I'll go ahead and jump right in. Here are a couple of pictures in, postcard form, of the Cudahy Meat Packing plant in Albany, GA.

This shot is very interesting as it not only shows the various tracks leading to the packing plant, but a couple of other industries off the same spur; an oil dealer and a mystery industry. It also shows an old gas station and another building of undetermined use.

This scene is also interesting. The plant is now closed as they have taken up the railroad tracks. Unfortunately, they forgot to remove the string of reefers.

Of course, textile mills are also prevalent in the Deep South and offered a lot of traffic for the railroads.

This is the rather massive Echota Cotton Mill in Calhoun, GA. Even with extreme selective compression, it's probably too big for most layouts.

So here is the much more compact Pacolet Mill in Gainsville, GA. But it still would have generated a goodly amount of traffic for the railroad.

Finaly, patterned after the Pacolet Mill, here is the Carter's Little River Mills plant on the previous layout. ( Yes, I really did call it that. Even got a Bar Mills Carter's sign I was going to kitbash. ) It's kitbashed from the two long walls of the Walthers Front Street Warehouse, with a cupola and powerhouse from an old Heljan Courthouse and the stack from something or other. This is actually a "semi building flat" as it butts directly against the wall; so the backside is just a piece of foam core.

Unfortunately, the mill is too big for my Orphan Shelf, so it's orphaned on the entertainment cabinet in the family room.

Hope you enjoy.

Regards,

Edited by - leeflan on 04/01/2005 12:00:49 PM

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  11:57:40 AM  Show Profile
OK Bruce, I'll go ahead and jump right in. Here are a couple of pictures in, postcard form, of the Cudahy Meat Packing plant in Albany, GA.

This shot is very interesting as it not only shows the various tracks leading to the packing plant, but a couple of other industries off the same spur; an oil dealer and a mystery industry. It also shows an old gas station and another building of undetermined use.

This scene is also interesting. The plant is now closed as they have taken up the railroad tracks. Unfortunately, they forgot to remove the string of reefers.

Of course, textile mills are also prevalent in the Deep South and offered a lot of traffic for the railroads.

This is the rather massive Echota Cotton Mill in Calhoun, GA. Even with extreme selective compression, it's probably too big for most layouts.

So here is the much more compact Pacolet Mill in Gainsville, GA. But it still would have generated a goodly amount of traffic for the railroad.

Finaly, patterned after the Pacolet Mill, here is the Carter's Little River Mills plant on the previous layout. ( Yes, I really did call it that. Even got a Bar Mills Carter's sign I was going to kitbash. ) It's kitbashed from the two long walls of the Walthers Front Street Warehouse, with a cupola and powerhouse from an old Heljan Courthouse and the stack from something or other. This is actually a "semi building flat" as it butts directly against the wall; so the backside is just a piece of foam core.

Unfortunately, the mill is too big for my Orphan Shelf, so it's orphaned on the entertainment cabinet in the family room.

Hope you enjoy.

Regards,

Edited by - leeflan on 04/01/2005 12:00:49 PM

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  12:41:32 PM  Show Profile
Hi All,

It's me again. Here are couple pics of more modern lineside industries.

This natty little structure is/was a Sinclair oil products dealer that served the Louisville & Wadley RR until service was discontinued in the early 70's. In fact, in all of its whopping 10.22 miles , the L&W served three oil companies: Gulf, Standard, and later, Sinclair. When I visited in the 700's and 80's, it was still being served by truck. It served as the inspiration for . . .

Mid Georgia Fuel, a Gulf distributor. The tanks are Walthers Interstate Oil, the building is a kitbashed Grandt Line Warehouse. (I used the Interstate Oil building for a different project. A slightly modified Mid-Georgia will be on the new layout. (Sorry about the fuzziness of the pic; I took it about 5 years ago with a really basic digicam.)

Regards,

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  12:41:32 PM  Show Profile
Hi All,

It's me again. Here are couple pics of more modern lineside industries.

This natty little structure is/was a Sinclair oil products dealer that served the Louisville & Wadley RR until service was discontinued in the early 70's. In fact, in all of its whopping 10.22 miles , the L&W served three oil companies: Gulf, Standard, and later, Sinclair. When I visited in the 700's and 80's, it was still being served by truck. It served as the inspiration for . . .

Mid Georgia Fuel, a Gulf distributor. The tanks are Walthers Interstate Oil, the building is a kitbashed Grandt Line Warehouse. (I used the Interstate Oil building for a different project. A slightly modified Mid-Georgia will be on the new layout. (Sorry about the fuzziness of the pic; I took it about 5 years ago with a really basic digicam.)

Regards,

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  1:48:16 PM  Show Profile
Steve,
Thanks for kicking this month's Gallery off! Yes, railroad customers come in all sizes. I like the way you have used prototype pictures as the basis of your modeling.

I like Walther's Front Street Warehouse kit, and have used it to make two structures on my layout. (I used the rear wall to make a second background structure.) I will get around to posting some pictures of both of them later in this thread.

You did a great job on the tire tracks in that Oil Co. parking lot, too.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  1:48:16 PM  Show Profile
Steve,
Thanks for kicking this month's Gallery off! Yes, railroad customers come in all sizes. I like the way you have used prototype pictures as the basis of your modeling.

I like Walther's Front Street Warehouse kit, and have used it to make two structures on my layout. (I used the rear wall to make a second background structure.) I will get around to posting some pictures of both of them later in this thread.

You did a great job on the tire tracks in that Oil Co. parking lot, too.

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  2:19:12 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Bruce. Since the current L&WS and former Georgia Southern are both freelanced, I rarely try to model structures exactly. I mean, how many people have even heard of the Louisville & Wadley Railroad, let alone know what the structures looked like? So I just look for structures that "look right," and create reasonable facsimiles, either scratch or from kits.

For the tire tracks, I have an old not-quite-to-scale die cast car that dates well into the last century and which probably has more than 50,000 not-quite-to-scale miles on it. After I sprinkle dirt onto the paint, I just run the car around where the tracks should be. Where the tracks came from the oil tanks, with all their spillage, I just brushed on a little black chalk and hit it with a shot of Dullcote.

Regards,

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  2:19:12 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Bruce. Since the current L&WS and former Georgia Southern are both freelanced, I rarely try to model structures exactly. I mean, how many people have even heard of the Louisville & Wadley Railroad, let alone know what the structures looked like? So I just look for structures that "look right," and create reasonable facsimiles, either scratch or from kits.

For the tire tracks, I have an old not-quite-to-scale die cast car that dates well into the last century and which probably has more than 50,000 not-quite-to-scale miles on it. After I sprinkle dirt onto the paint, I just run the car around where the tracks should be. Where the tracks came from the oil tanks, with all their spillage, I just brushed on a little black chalk and hit it with a shot of Dullcote.

Regards,

dash10
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  2:27:57 PM  Show Profile
A small freight dock. Was on my old HO layout.

And a soap factory.

A feed Mill and factory.

Edited by - dash10 on 04/01/2005 2:38:44 PM

dash10
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  2:27:57 PM  Show Profile
A small freight dock. Was on my old HO layout.

And a soap factory.

A feed Mill and factory.

Edited by - dash10 on 04/01/2005 2:38:44 PM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  3:41:41 PM  Show Profile
Fred,
Do you happen to remember who made the power house just to the left of the soap factory?

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  3:41:41 PM  Show Profile
Fred,
Do you happen to remember who made the power house just to the left of the soap factory?

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  4:03:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage
Bruce,

I have the same kit...It is by Kibri:
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/405-9809

Chuck

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  4:03:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage
Bruce,

Chuck

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  4:05:42 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wvrr

Bruce,

Chuck

Thanks, Chuck. And it is even on sale!

Page: of 13 Previous Topic: snow removal car Topic Next Topic: Nikon Coolpix 8700  
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000