Railroad Line Forums - Hello to All!
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 50 ]  [ Total: 53 ]  [ Newest Member: red dog ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Arrival Track
 Hello to All!
Next Page
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Welcome to the Forum, Murray, Paul, & Terry! Topic Next Topic: WELCOME NEW MEMBERS! PLEASE READ!
Page: of 2

Dixietwister
New Hire

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  05:07:15 AM  Show Profile
I am new to the forum and hope I will find alot of useful info on getting started with a hobby that has been in the back of my mind for 25+ years, just never seem to had the extra time to devote to it until now. I live in the rural south Georgia region in the Vidalia area(home of the infamous sweet onion..lol)and recently found a box of Bachmann train related material that was left behind in a rental unit that we own. Nothing fancy, just one HO engine(Santa Fe 307) with roughly 30 cars and some buildings, track, etc. I suppose who had it collected the cars along and along. I have lots and lots of questions for sure, mainly getting a good complete track, any recommendations? And where would be the best(cheapest) place to expand and update what I have now? Thanks in advance for any info, and I'm really glad to be here! Alan

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  06:13:42 AM  Show Profile
Alan, once again, welcome to the forum. There are a number of ways to go with track. Atlas makes thee foot lengths of flextrack than can be bent to an shape you want. They also have a product that they call sectional track, with lenghts of about 9" each, and curves of set radii. Finally, Bachman has a sectional track that comes on a plastic base that simulates the ballast. It is called EZ-Track. Prices vary, as do the menthods of holding the track down on your layout and connecting the track together. If you have a local hobby shop, you might want to take a trip there to look at these options and check prices.

I am sure that other members will check in on this topic. Again, glad to have you aboard.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  06:13:42 AM  Show Profile
Alan, once again, welcome to the forum. There are a number of ways to go with track. Atlas makes thee foot lengths of flextrack than can be bent to an shape you want. They also have a product that they call sectional track, with lenghts of about 9" each, and curves of set radii. Finally, Bachman has a sectional track that comes on a plastic base that simulates the ballast. It is called EZ-Track. Prices vary, as do the menthods of holding the track down on your layout and connecting the track together. If you have a local hobby shop, you might want to take a trip there to look at these options and check prices.

I am sure that other members will check in on this topic. Again, glad to have you aboard.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  07:19:32 AM  Show Profile
Hi and welcome! Like Bruce said, be sure to check out the local hobby shop to see what is available. While there pick up a copy of a Walthers catalog and ask them if they know of any clubs in the area. The Bachmann stuff you found might not be worth fooling with, some of their stuff (Spectrum series) is excellent but some is not.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  07:19:32 AM  Show Profile
Hi and welcome! Like Bruce said, be sure to check out the local hobby shop to see what is available. While there pick up a copy of a Walthers catalog and ask them if they know of any clubs in the area. The Bachmann stuff you found might not be worth fooling with, some of their stuff (Spectrum series) is excellent but some is not.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  07:28:48 AM  Show Profile
Alan, welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place if you have questions.

Bruce gave you some good options for track. Just make sure that when you lay your track down you avoid kinks and make sure the joints are level. This will eliminate a lot of derailments and frustration. Youíll also want to clean the wheels of that loco and track if itís been sitting around. Youíll get lots of different answers of what to use to do this. A lot of people use a product called Goo Gone. To clean the track, put some on a cloth and wipe the tops of the rails with it. To clean the engineís wheel, put some Goo on a folded paper towel and lay it across the tracks. Put the wheels from one of the trucks on the paper towel and the other set of wheels on the track (You need to have a power pack connected to the track so the engine wheels will turn). Hold the engine with your hand and keep the front wheels on the paper towel. As the wheels spin all the tarnish and dirt will be wiped on the paper towel. Repeat the process for the back wheels.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  07:28:48 AM  Show Profile
Alan, welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place if you have questions.

Bruce gave you some good options for track. Just make sure that when you lay your track down you avoid kinks and make sure the joints are level. This will eliminate a lot of derailments and frustration. Youíll also want to clean the wheels of that loco and track if itís been sitting around. Youíll get lots of different answers of what to use to do this. A lot of people use a product called Goo Gone. To clean the track, put some on a cloth and wipe the tops of the rails with it. To clean the engineís wheel, put some Goo on a folded paper towel and lay it across the tracks. Put the wheels from one of the trucks on the paper towel and the other set of wheels on the track (You need to have a power pack connected to the track so the engine wheels will turn). Hold the engine with your hand and keep the front wheels on the paper towel. As the wheels spin all the tarnish and dirt will be wiped on the paper towel. Repeat the process for the back wheels.

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  08:54:23 AM  Show Profile
Welcome to the forum Alan, my mother's family is from S. GA, too, although they are all gone now. They lived near Irwinville in Irwin, CO. (Big Creek area) Having visited the area many times growing up and once again last fall I realize just how rural that area really is. The internet, this and other forums and a few magazines will be very helpful for you.

Take care, y'all and welcome!

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  08:54:23 AM  Show Profile
Welcome to the forum Alan, my mother's family is from S. GA, too, although they are all gone now. They lived near Irwinville in Irwin, CO. (Big Creek area) Having visited the area many times growing up and once again last fall I realize just how rural that area really is. The internet, this and other forums and a few magazines will be very helpful for you.

Take care, y'all and welcome!

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  09:04:59 AM  Show Profile
Welcome aboard Allen. This is a good place to hang out and learn about model railroading. If you have a hobby shop nearby, look for a basic book on model railroading that will explain in detail track laying, wiring, scenery etc. Kalmbach publishes a book called "HO Scale Model Railroading" that you might want to look at.

George

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  09:04:59 AM  Show Profile
Welcome aboard Allen. This is a good place to hang out and learn about model railroading. If you have a hobby shop nearby, look for a basic book on model railroading that will explain in detail track laying, wiring, scenery etc. Kalmbach publishes a book called "HO Scale Model Railroading" that you might want to look at.

George

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  10:15:56 AM  Show Profile
Hi Allen, and welcome. In addition to the book George mentioned, which is a perfect starter reference, Kalmbach also publishes a number of books covering different areas of the hobby that are suitable references for both beginners and more advanced modelers. And, of course, there are a number of monthly magazines devoted to model railroading.

Regards,

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  10:15:56 AM  Show Profile
Hi Allen, and welcome. In addition to the book George mentioned, which is a perfect starter reference, Kalmbach also publishes a number of books covering different areas of the hobby that are suitable references for both beginners and more advanced modelers. And, of course, there are a number of monthly magazines devoted to model railroading.

Regards,

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  10:26:19 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Alan to the forum.
I see we have another new member from Georgia.
I am living in Wildwood GA. which is rural but in the most northwest part of the state.
I started in this hobby 4 years ago with Tyco trains that I bought cheaply on eBay to see if I had an interest.
So I would set up our trains and see if they work and if this is a hobby that will interest you.
Many people here have given you excellent resources to investigate this hobby.
So have fun and hope to see you posting your progress in the future.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  10:26:19 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Alan to the forum.
I see we have another new member from Georgia.
I am living in Wildwood GA. which is rural but in the most northwest part of the state.
I started in this hobby 4 years ago with Tyco trains that I bought cheaply on eBay to see if I had an interest.
So I would set up our trains and see if they work and if this is a hobby that will interest you.
Many people here have given you excellent resources to investigate this hobby.
So have fun and hope to see you posting your progress in the future.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

MP Rich
Fireman

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  10:48:21 AM  Show Profile
Glad to see you on board. Don't feel intimidated by some of the things you see here. It is not required to be an expert to join in. That's the way I get by being here. There are as many ways to enjoy this as there are people and we all started out as beginners. My first word of advice would be to get just a bit of knowledge before buying too much equipment. You will get lots of info on using one particular method or product of whatever sort but you will find that there are dozens of ways to do most all of it. Look around a bit before investing the hard earned dough. For starters, I will give you my ideas of some things to avoid. Of course, I run the risk of offending some who don't agree. We all have our likes and dislikes. I think it is worthwhile to get resonably good equipment from the start to help cut down on the frustration and expense that comes with cheap equipment. That may be why the last guy left the equipment. Look at the wheels on the engine. If they have real sharp edges on the part that hold them on the track, it is probably not a good quality engine. Nothing wrong with using it and getting into the game but just realize that there is better. Athearn is one of the best known makers of reasonable quality that I would recommend. Look for nickle silver track if buying new. There is a lot of brass at a cheaper price but it has a lot more cleaning troubles involved. Good luck and good tracking. Richard

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Welcome to the Forum, Murray, Paul, & Terry! Topic Next Topic: WELCOME NEW MEMBERS! PLEASE READ!  
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000