Railroad Line Forums - Out on the West End
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 95 ]  [ Total: 99 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Fallen Flag Railroad Forums
 Erie / Lackawanna Railroad Forum
 Out on the West End
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: E-L Tugs Topic Next Topic: Official Erie & Lackawanna Portraits  

Rick F.
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/27/2005 :  9:50:15 PM  Show Profile
My grandmother lived across from the Erie RR depot in Warren, Oh. Her front porch was a great place to watch trains from. I don't remember any steam powered trains, but saw a lot of early diesels.

This was on the First District of the Mahoning Division. There were many freight and passenger trains that ran on the line at that time.

The passenger trains on the line were The Lake Cities, The Steel Kings (in conjunction with the P&LE), and the Washingtonian (in conjunction with the B&O and the P&LE). I'm sure there were others, also.

Some of the early diesels were FT''s, F-3's, F-7's, PA's, FA's, Baldwin switchers, RS-2's and 3's, Baldwin DRS 6-6-15's. I remember seeing the experimental GE covered wagons that eventually ended up on the UP.

This line was also home to the Youngstown-Marion mail train usually powered by the 1140, which was a Baldwin road switcher, and the ONLY one equipped for passenger service. Many time it paired up with an ALCO RS.

The Baldwins were usually used in heavy drag service like the Cleveland to Youngstown ore trains that ran on weekends. In the early E-L years you could see former Lackawanna Trainmasters in this srvice.

If you went to Youngstown there was a coach yard near the passenger terminal. You'd usually find a LIMA switcher working the coach yard.

Let me know if your intersted in hearing more.

Rick

Rick F.
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/27/2005 :  10:06:16 PM  Show Profile
Forgot to mention in my last post that EMD E-8's were regulars on the long distance trains.

Rick

Rick F.
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/27/2005 :  10:06:16 PM  Show Profile
Forgot to mention in my last post that EMD E-8's were regulars on the long distance trains.

Rick

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/27/2005 :  10:07:06 PM  Show Profile
Rick,
I certainly would like to hear more.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/27/2005 :  10:07:06 PM  Show Profile
Rick,
I certainly would like to hear more.

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  06:57:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
Hear, Hear!!

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  06:57:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
Hear, Hear!!

Rick F.
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  07:01:20 AM  Show Profile
Used to ride train # 28 + 29 to and from Cleveland on occaision. Before we had two cars, my moer and I would ride # 29 into Cleveland Union Terminal and take the bus to my granmother's house on the west side. Sometimes we'd ride # 28 back to Warren or my dad would drive up to Cleveland to pick us up.

Also, we used to ride the train to Cleveland with Cub Scouts, etc. to see Cleveland Indians baseball games.

Power for all these trains was usally an ALCO RS. In later E-L years power was an E-8. I also saw on one occaision, a GP-35 subbing for the E-8.

The children from Warren City Schools would ride the train from Warren to Youngstown (about 20 miles)as a field trip.

Every year The Cleveland Press ran a special from Cleveland to New York City over the Erie.

Rick

Rick F.
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  07:01:20 AM  Show Profile
Used to ride train # 28 + 29 to and from Cleveland on occaision. Before we had two cars, my moer and I would ride # 29 into Cleveland Union Terminal and take the bus to my granmother's house on the west side. Sometimes we'd ride # 28 back to Warren or my dad would drive up to Cleveland to pick us up.

Also, we used to ride the train to Cleveland with Cub Scouts, etc. to see Cleveland Indians baseball games.

Power for all these trains was usally an ALCO RS. In later E-L years power was an E-8. I also saw on one occaision, a GP-35 subbing for the E-8.

The children from Warren City Schools would ride the train from Warren to Youngstown (about 20 miles)as a field trip.

Every year The Cleveland Press ran a special from Cleveland to New York City over the Erie.

Rick

Mr. Snoozer
New Hire

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  7:32:46 PM  Show Profile
Thanx for sharing the memories. I'm way too young to have ever seen the west end of EL (or Erie) so your recollections help me understand what it was like.

Mr. Snoozer

Mr. Snoozer
New Hire

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  7:32:46 PM  Show Profile
Thanx for sharing the memories. I'm way too young to have ever seen the west end of EL (or Erie) so your recollections help me understand what it was like.

Mr. Snoozer

Previous Topic: E-L Tugs Topic Next Topic: Official Erie & Lackawanna Portraits  
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000