Railroad Line Forums - Teejay's OTHER Mini
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 103 ]  [ Total: 110 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 Teejay's OTHER Mini
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Nantahala Mining & Transportation Co. Topic Next Topic: Another page added to the scrapbook!
Page: of 5

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  4:09:20 PM  Show Profile
Just to show that I am , indeed ,working on a Mini , I'll show what I've got so far at the Modular Club , with my two 2x4 modules . The wiring is not done yet as the modules are in the construction area of the club . They will be free-mo in concept which is a different direction than the standard club modules . Some of the other guys are giving mine a look-see and may build their own free-mo style modules . The Club is developing a branch line from the 35 main modules to accommodate the free-mo .
Mine will be a dock scene on one side of the single main line and a false front Sintering Plant on the other side with lots of switching possibilities .

This is pretty simple , basic construction using good quality wood and adjustable legs . The two identical modules are clamped together underneath with quick release clamps and the whole structure is quite strong when properly braced .Right now I'm fiddling with the final design of the actual layout .

Terry

Edited by - teejay on 03/19/2005 7:41:51 PM

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  4:53:39 PM  Show Profile
They look good, Terry, and very much along the lines of what I have in mind for when I begin expanding the CM&S. The difference is I'll probably use a 30" depth instead of 24."

I've seen the term "free-mo" before, but I'm not really sure what it actually means. I'm guessing it means "free module," which in turn means not following a standard mainline track arrangement. Is that correct? Or am I off base?

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  4:53:39 PM  Show Profile
They look good, Terry, and very much along the lines of what I have in mind for when I begin expanding the CM&S. The difference is I'll probably use a 30" depth instead of 24."

I've seen the term "free-mo" before, but I'm not really sure what it actually means. I'm guessing it means "free module," which in turn means not following a standard mainline track arrangement. Is that correct? Or am I off base?

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  6:03:08 PM  Show Profile
Looks good Terry! Like Mike I'm curious as well as to the meaning of free-mo.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  6:03:08 PM  Show Profile
Looks good Terry! Like Mike I'm curious as well as to the meaning of free-mo.

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  7:41:28 PM  Show Profile
Mike's version of ' free-mo' is probably the right one ...and Mike , I agree on the 30" width that you are considering . I've been to two CARM functions in the last month and one Club displayed their 30" modules . They were most impressive ...double main line ( not the triple main that our club uses in 24" ) and most modules had a similar theme . The extra 6" of width allows for a lot of additional modelling .
I have to go with the rules within our club , of course , but have casually mentioned the above findings to the membership just to get a reaction . Stir , stir .

If you look at my pictures , you'll see that my mainline begins and ends in the middle of the module ...beginning of the first , and end of the second . This is within our rules and allows for a lot more modelling IMO ...( we have a two module maximum per member ) ...and allows for easy hookup to any adjoining modules . The straight , triple main on the club current club modules is much more restrictive ( and boring IMO ) so I'm happy to have another choice . I'll post more pics as I develope this over the next few weeks .

Terry

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  7:41:28 PM  Show Profile
Mike's version of ' free-mo' is probably the right one ...and Mike , I agree on the 30" width that you are considering . I've been to two CARM functions in the last month and one Club displayed their 30" modules . They were most impressive ...double main line ( not the triple main that our club uses in 24" ) and most modules had a similar theme . The extra 6" of width allows for a lot of additional modelling .
I have to go with the rules within our club , of course , but have casually mentioned the above findings to the membership just to get a reaction . Stir , stir .

If you look at my pictures , you'll see that my mainline begins and ends in the middle of the module ...beginning of the first , and end of the second . This is within our rules and allows for a lot more modelling IMO ...( we have a two module maximum per member ) ...and allows for easy hookup to any adjoining modules . The straight , triple main on the club current club modules is much more restrictive ( and boring IMO ) so I'm happy to have another choice . I'll post more pics as I develope this over the next few weeks .

Terry

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  09:10:03 AM  Show Profile
Terry,

It looks like you've got a great project on your hands. You've got a good start - nice bench work. I see you have a Digitrax throttle in the picture. Does your group use DCC?

I've read about Free-Mo, but no one around here is doing it, so I'm involved with a module group that uses the NMRA HO standards. I'd rather be doing Free-Mo, since it's operations oriented where the NMRA seems to be for running trains.

George

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  09:10:03 AM  Show Profile
Terry,

It looks like you've got a great project on your hands. You've got a good start - nice bench work. I see you have a Digitrax throttle in the picture. Does your group use DCC?

I've read about Free-Mo, but no one around here is doing it, so I'm involved with a module group that uses the NMRA HO standards. I'd rather be doing Free-Mo, since it's operations oriented where the NMRA seems to be for running trains.

George

Marken
Fireman

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  4:26:28 PM  Show Profile
Hey Terry,

Glad to see you posting again...your presence has been missed.

Interesting project. One I'll be very interested in. There is a module group from town that I've been sort of interested in. I've seen them at the mall for the last three years during a small train show it puts on. I've been leery though because every time I see them their always arguing about who's going to run trains, which cars, which this and that...

It's rather amusing but not very good for membership. The only problem is it's the only group in the area.

Keep us posted...maybe I'll get up the nerve to join the club one of these years

In memory of Mike Chambers

Marken
Fireman

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  4:26:28 PM  Show Profile
Hey Terry,

Glad to see you posting again...your presence has been missed.

Interesting project. One I'll be very interested in. There is a module group from town that I've been sort of interested in. I've seen them at the mall for the last three years during a small train show it puts on. I've been leery though because every time I see them their always arguing about who's going to run trains, which cars, which this and that...

It's rather amusing but not very good for membership. The only problem is it's the only group in the area.

Keep us posted...maybe I'll get up the nerve to join the club one of these years

In memory of Mike Chambers

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  1:12:54 PM  Show Profile
George , our club uses Digitrax with radio throttles . I'm having my 400 converted from infra-red to radio . It was OK for my home layout but doesn't work well with the large layout so radio is a must . It costs about $50 to convert .
Your right in your view about free-mo/operations vs. standard / running trains and it's one of the reasons I'm happy to be doing free-mo . A standard modular layout , like ours , can be converted simply by running a spur line from the mainline and using all free-mo modules ( if you have the room ). We have room for 22 free-mo modules with our current configuration ( over and above the 35 standard modules ).

Ken , you might want to sit in as a guest for a session or two if they are the only game in town .What can you lose ? I'm wondering , though , if they are arguing at the mall , it doesn't bode well for what goes on back at the club . You might want to ask around your area to see if there is any interest . The club that I belong to was started 5 years ago by word of mouth . The first meeting brought out 19 interested people ...the organizers were astounded . There are about 35 now , although not all are active .About 20 show up regularly .We have a population of about 200k in our area , yet only one organized club .

Terry

Edited by - teejay on 03/24/2005 1:14:38 PM

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  1:12:54 PM  Show Profile
George , our club uses Digitrax with radio throttles . I'm having my 400 converted from infra-red to radio . It was OK for my home layout but doesn't work well with the large layout so radio is a must . It costs about $50 to convert .
Your right in your view about free-mo/operations vs. standard / running trains and it's one of the reasons I'm happy to be doing free-mo . A standard modular layout , like ours , can be converted simply by running a spur line from the mainline and using all free-mo modules ( if you have the room ). We have room for 22 free-mo modules with our current configuration ( over and above the 35 standard modules ).

Ken , you might want to sit in as a guest for a session or two if they are the only game in town .What can you lose ? I'm wondering , though , if they are arguing at the mall , it doesn't bode well for what goes on back at the club . You might want to ask around your area to see if there is any interest . The club that I belong to was started 5 years ago by word of mouth . The first meeting brought out 19 interested people ...the organizers were astounded . There are about 35 now , although not all are active .About 20 show up regularly .We have a population of about 200k in our area , yet only one organized club .

Terry

Edited by - teejay on 03/24/2005 1:14:38 PM

shortliner
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  3:49:26 PM  Show Profile
With reference to FREE-MO try here for some info and pics of set-ups
<http://www.westportterminal.de/>. look right in the middle of that page and go from there. Wolfgang's own N-scale layout "Westport Terminal is well worth a look too.
Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the Highlands

shortliner
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  3:49:26 PM  Show Profile
With reference to FREE-MO try here for some info and pics of set-ups
<http://www.westportterminal.de/>. look right in the middle of that page and go from there. Wolfgang's own N-scale layout "Westport Terminal is well worth a look too.
Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the Highlands

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  6:02:29 PM  Show Profile
Very interesting site Jack, thanks for the link!

Page: of 5 Previous Topic: Nantahala Mining & Transportation Co. Topic Next Topic: Another page added to the scrapbook!  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000