Railroad Line Forums - Cliffside
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 78 ]  [ Total: 80 ]  [ Newest Member: Dakkon ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 Cliffside
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Ring Around The Rosie Topic Next Topic: FOR THOSE WHO THRIVE ON STEAM  

jerryglow
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  10:21:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit jerryglow's Homepage
In the early 1980s, artist Jim Scancarelli, (cartoonist for comic strip "Gasoline Alley") inspired by several visits to a small Carolina town over the preceding 20 years, built a model of an imaginary town called “Cliffside.” Drawing a little on his memory of the real Cliffside, and a lot on his fertile imagination, Jim spent a good portion of four years on the model. As he would think of new features to add, he built them in separate pieces, so it is not one massive model, but a series of unattached “dioramas,” as he calls them.

You can view scans of his 35mm slides at: http://www.remembercliffside.com/galleries/model/modelhome.html
You can go back to other portions of the site for further historical information.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  10:31:07 AM  Show Profile
Jerry, this is one of my very favorite sites. I've had it bookmarked for several months because I love looking at his models and photos. I first became a Jim Scancarelli/Cliffside fan back in the early/mid 80's, when several of his photos were published in the "Magic" section of the Walthers Catalogs.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  10:31:07 AM  Show Profile
Jerry, this is one of my very favorite sites. I've had it bookmarked for several months because I love looking at his models and photos. I first became a Jim Scancarelli/Cliffside fan back in the early/mid 80's, when several of his photos were published in the "Magic" section of the Walthers Catalogs.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  1:40:02 PM  Show Profile
The real Cliffside, N.C. is located in Rutherford County and if I'm not mistaken it had it's own R.R. at one time (pre-1950's).

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  1:40:02 PM  Show Profile
The real Cliffside, N.C. is located in Rutherford County and if I'm not mistaken it had it's own R.R. at one time (pre-1950's).

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  11:00:16 AM  Show Profile
Jerry,

I had the pleasure of visiting Jim Scanciarelli back in the 80's while on a business trip to North Carolina. I used to cut out the Walthers Magic pages with his photos and put them in my reference folder. I can only say that the photos do not do justice to his modeling. To me he has always been sort of the "Sellios of the South," and his scenes have been an inspiration in my Southern modeling for a long time. Glad to see that he is getting the recognition he so richly deserves.

Regards,

Edited by - leeflan on 03/16/2005 11:01:33 AM

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  11:00:16 AM  Show Profile
Jerry,

I had the pleasure of visiting Jim Scanciarelli back in the 80's while on a business trip to North Carolina. I used to cut out the Walthers Magic pages with his photos and put them in my reference folder. I can only say that the photos do not do justice to his modeling. To me he has always been sort of the "Sellios of the South," and his scenes have been an inspiration in my Southern modeling for a long time. Glad to see that he is getting the recognition he so richly deserves.

Regards,

Edited by - leeflan on 03/16/2005 11:01:33 AM

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  10:33:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage
Jerry
Thanks for a great link and a wonderful trip back in time. Greatly enjoyed the photographs and modeling.

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  10:33:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage
Jerry
Thanks for a great link and a wonderful trip back in time. Greatly enjoyed the photographs and modeling.

Previous Topic: Ring Around The Rosie Topic Next Topic: FOR THOSE WHO THRIVE ON STEAM  
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000