Railroad Line Forums - Teejay's Mini
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 132 ]  [ Total: 138 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 Teejay's Mini
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Las Cajas Yard Topic Next Topic: Need ideas/inspiration!
Page: of 11

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  06:46:49 AM  Show Profile
The stuff sure IS messy , which is why I've shied away from it for a few days ....I'll give it a shot this weekend , with a vaccuum nearby .I'm hoping it will do the trick in building up the base to where I can top it off with pink foam . I've got a couple of tubes of LePage PL300 Foam Board adhesive that I hope will work with the bead board .

Terry

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  08:25:46 AM  Show Profile
I really do enjoy N-scale Tyson. I want to believe that even if I had the space I'd stick with N - with the exception of rails out in a garden but I can do both. I am really drawn to the O scale models that are presented here but it seems sooooo big.

Terry, it sounds like you have a plan. I am looking forward to seeing how it comes out so keep us posted.

Joe <><

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  08:25:46 AM  Show Profile
I really do enjoy N-scale Tyson. I want to believe that even if I had the space I'd stick with N - with the exception of rails out in a garden but I can do both. I am really drawn to the O scale models that are presented here but it seems sooooo big.

Terry, it sounds like you have a plan. I am looking forward to seeing how it comes out so keep us posted.

Joe <><

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  3:50:54 PM  Show Profile
Joe I am only kidding, there is no wrong scale!

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  3:50:54 PM  Show Profile
Joe I am only kidding, there is no wrong scale!

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  4:31:25 PM  Show Profile
I don't know , Tyson , Z scale is pretty close .

T

Edited by - teejay on 06/09/2005 4:32:25 PM

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  4:31:25 PM  Show Profile
I don't know , Tyson , Z scale is pretty close .

T

Edited by - teejay on 06/09/2005 4:32:25 PM

Jack P
New Hire

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  7:48:44 PM  Show Profile
Terry,
Instead of casters, consider using refrigerator rollers. Your layout won't be as heavy as a refrigerator, but the smaller diameter wheels require less height, and they are constructed on expandable metal bases. You get a little more support on the underside of the table.
A caster requires about 2 inches clearance from the floor to the bottom of the wooden deck. The rollers need less than 1 inch. I seem to remember 3/4 or 15/16 inche height.
I use two sets under my entertainment center, and I can roll that thing easily with one hand. It also allows me to turn the unit one side at a time. The units can be held in place with wood screws or adhesive.
Jack

Jack P
New Hire

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  7:48:44 PM  Show Profile
Terry,
Instead of casters, consider using refrigerator rollers. Your layout won't be as heavy as a refrigerator, but the smaller diameter wheels require less height, and they are constructed on expandable metal bases. You get a little more support on the underside of the table.
A caster requires about 2 inches clearance from the floor to the bottom of the wooden deck. The rollers need less than 1 inch. I seem to remember 3/4 or 15/16 inche height.
I use two sets under my entertainment center, and I can roll that thing easily with one hand. It also allows me to turn the unit one side at a time. The units can be held in place with wood screws or adhesive.
Jack

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  8:15:05 PM  Show Profile
Jack , I tried using smaller casters on a support for my tool box and found that they got snagged somewhat in the carpet as I tried to roll them . I deliberately went to the larger casters to give more circumference / rolling area to the wheel . So far , it works fine .

Thanks for the suggestion ...I hadn't mentioned the carpeting in the past .

Terry

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  8:15:05 PM  Show Profile
Jack , I tried using smaller casters on a support for my tool box and found that they got snagged somewhat in the carpet as I tried to roll them . I deliberately went to the larger casters to give more circumference / rolling area to the wheel . So far , it works fine .

Thanks for the suggestion ...I hadn't mentioned the carpeting in the past .

Terry

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 06/27/2005 :  10:05:43 AM  Show Profile
In stacking up the ( free ) beadboard foam slabs , I've been gluing them with yellow glue . I'll be using the much more expensive foam glue when I get to the pink foam that will go on top of the beadboard .
Has anyone used yellow glue successfully with foam ? It seems to hold OK at this point but I'm wondering if there will be any surprises down the road ?

Terry

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 06/27/2005 :  10:05:43 AM  Show Profile
In stacking up the ( free ) beadboard foam slabs , I've been gluing them with yellow glue . I'll be using the much more expensive foam glue when I get to the pink foam that will go on top of the beadboard .
Has anyone used yellow glue successfully with foam ? It seems to hold OK at this point but I'm wondering if there will be any surprises down the road ?

Terry

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 06/27/2005 :  10:58:21 AM  Show Profile
Terry I have never tried it, please let us know what does or doesn't happen!

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 06/27/2005 10:59:19 AM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 06/27/2005 :  10:58:21 AM  Show Profile
Terry I have never tried it, please let us know what does or doesn't happen!

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 06/27/2005 10:59:19 AM

Page: of 11 Previous Topic: Las Cajas Yard Topic Next Topic: Need ideas/inspiration!  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000