Railroad Line Forums - Teejay's Mini
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 77 ]  [ Total: 85 ]  [ Newest Member: johnnycee6 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 Teejay's Mini
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Las Cajas Yard Topic Next Topic: Need ideas/inspiration!
Page: of 11

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 06/01/2005 :  08:15:48 AM  Show Profile
There is a pretty good article on plywood and foam construction in January 02 MR , starting on page 62. It appears that there are future ' parts' to this article .
While the layout is 4x8 , larger than a Mini , it could be a good guidline for my 3x6 .He uses Liquid Nails to secure everything .

I picked up about 20 pieces of beadboard 1 1/2 " foam in various sized sheets . It was there for the asking at my club ...seems there were piles of the stuff in the area they rented 3 years ago . I'll post some pics as I get going . I have a design in mind and have to put it to paper .

Terry

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 06/01/2005 :  08:15:48 AM  Show Profile
There is a pretty good article on plywood and foam construction in January 02 MR , starting on page 62. It appears that there are future ' parts' to this article .
While the layout is 4x8 , larger than a Mini , it could be a good guidline for my 3x6 .He uses Liquid Nails to secure everything .

I picked up about 20 pieces of beadboard 1 1/2 " foam in various sized sheets . It was there for the asking at my club ...seems there were piles of the stuff in the area they rented 3 years ago . I'll post some pics as I get going . I have a design in mind and have to put it to paper .

Terry

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/01/2005 :  08:47:36 AM  Show Profile
Terry,

do you recall the title of artical? I probably read it. I just saw you comment about contact cement and went back and checked the artical - he did say contact cement but it doesn't say what kind. I am not sure if liquid nails existed or not in '89. White glue, yellow wood glue might be better now that I am thinking about it, worked ok for me but it took a while to dry. With liquid nails in existance now though it is a moot point.

Free material is always a good thing. I look forward to seeing more on this.

Joe <><

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/01/2005 :  08:47:36 AM  Show Profile
Terry,

do you recall the title of artical? I probably read it. I just saw you comment about contact cement and went back and checked the artical - he did say contact cement but it doesn't say what kind. I am not sure if liquid nails existed or not in '89. White glue, yellow wood glue might be better now that I am thinking about it, worked ok for me but it took a while to dry. With liquid nails in existance now though it is a moot point.

Free material is always a good thing. I look forward to seeing more on this.

Joe <><

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 06/01/2005 :  09:09:32 AM  Show Profile
Joe , I'll dig up the name of the article tonight when I get home . I may look through some old MR's for more on the same topic .
One of the guys at the club has been working on a corner module ( the club owns all the corners and some members volunteer to add scenery to them ) and is going with a mountain scene made of 2" pink foam . He is using white glue and clamps each layer as he builds it . It APPEARS to be strong , and didn't budge when I poked it , but I have my doubts if ( and when ) it has to be turned sideways and carried/transported to the annual show . We'll find out next Febuary .

Terry

Edited by - teejay on 06/01/2005 09:10:29 AM

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 06/01/2005 :  09:09:32 AM  Show Profile
Joe , I'll dig up the name of the article tonight when I get home . I may look through some old MR's for more on the same topic .
One of the guys at the club has been working on a corner module ( the club owns all the corners and some members volunteer to add scenery to them ) and is going with a mountain scene made of 2" pink foam . He is using white glue and clamps each layer as he builds it . It APPEARS to be strong , and didn't budge when I poked it , but I have my doubts if ( and when ) it has to be turned sideways and carried/transported to the annual show . We'll find out next Febuary .

Terry

Edited by - teejay on 06/01/2005 09:10:29 AM

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/01/2005 :  10:26:37 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jatravia

I am not sure if liquid nails existed or not in '89.

Joe, I first used Liquid Nails around 1980 or so for a variety of home projects, including putting up cedar strips in a closet and permanently mounting an 10' long vanity mirror in a bathroom. I'm not sure when the product actually hit the market, though, but it probably was in the late 70's.

I think Liquid Nails for Projects, which contains no foam-melting solvents, has been out for only a few years.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/01/2005 :  10:26:37 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jatravia

I am not sure if liquid nails existed or not in '89.

Joe, I first used Liquid Nails around 1980 or so for a variety of home projects, including putting up cedar strips in a closet and permanently mounting an 10' long vanity mirror in a bathroom. I'm not sure when the product actually hit the market, though, but it probably was in the late 70's.

I think Liquid Nails for Projects, which contains no foam-melting solvents, has been out for only a few years.

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/01/2005 :  11:02:25 AM  Show Profile
Okay, so now I want to know ...

I found the Liquid Nails web site ( www.liquidnails.com ) and hit the About Us button and got this:

As part of ICI Paints, Liquid Nails has become one of the most recognized brands in the hardware industry. Since 1962, our product line has evolved into a broad range of adhesives, caulks, sealants, and home repair products for professionals and do-it-yourselfers alike.

Every Liquid Nails product is formulated to offer the best possible performance for a given project. This project-specific focus, along with dependable quality and cutting-edge innovation, has made Liquid Nails America's #1 brand. You can find Liquid Nails at major hardware stores, building centers and lumber yards worldwide.

Now: when the stuff showed up in a squeeze tube. Maybe I'll email them later.

Joe <><

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/01/2005 :  11:02:25 AM  Show Profile
Okay, so now I want to know ...

I found the Liquid Nails web site ( www.liquidnails.com ) and hit the About Us button and got this:

As part of ICI Paints, Liquid Nails has become one of the most recognized brands in the hardware industry. Since 1962, our product line has evolved into a broad range of adhesives, caulks, sealants, and home repair products for professionals and do-it-yourselfers alike.

Every Liquid Nails product is formulated to offer the best possible performance for a given project. This project-specific focus, along with dependable quality and cutting-edge innovation, has made Liquid Nails America's #1 brand. You can find Liquid Nails at major hardware stores, building centers and lumber yards worldwide.

Now: when the stuff showed up in a squeeze tube. Maybe I'll email them later.

Joe <><

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  1:31:33 PM  Show Profile
Just because there might be someone here who is interested - I was able to get in touch with Roger Baker who wrote the 1989 Model Railroader artical that I posted about previously. Here is the update ...

Roger told me that while he finished the section of the layout which was written about in MR he never finished the rest of the layout because of moving and other factors. He apologised for not finishing it but which of us hasn't not finished a RR project. He has since forgotten about n-scale and switched to G-scale. Apparently he has a number of articals that have appeared in Garden Railways magazine.

I had asked Roger about how felt regarding the bead foam, which is where I began my comments on this thread, and he said that while it was plenty strong for what he did with it it is messy. The messy part we knew .

Like I said - just thought someone would like to know -

Joe <><

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  1:31:33 PM  Show Profile
Just because there might be someone here who is interested - I was able to get in touch with Roger Baker who wrote the 1989 Model Railroader artical that I posted about previously. Here is the update ...

Roger told me that while he finished the section of the layout which was written about in MR he never finished the rest of the layout because of moving and other factors. He apologised for not finishing it but which of us hasn't not finished a RR project. He has since forgotten about n-scale and switched to G-scale. Apparently he has a number of articals that have appeared in Garden Railways magazine.

I had asked Roger about how felt regarding the bead foam, which is where I began my comments on this thread, and he said that while it was plenty strong for what he did with it it is messy. The messy part we knew .

Like I said - just thought someone would like to know -

Joe <><

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  4:11:24 PM  Show Profile
Sorry to hear he took complete leave of his senses and switched to the wrong scale! . Kidding aside he did some fantastic work in N-scale.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  4:11:24 PM  Show Profile
Sorry to hear he took complete leave of his senses and switched to the wrong scale! . Kidding aside he did some fantastic work in N-scale.

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  06:46:49 AM  Show Profile
The stuff sure IS messy , which is why I've shied away from it for a few days ....I'll give it a shot this weekend , with a vaccuum nearby .I'm hoping it will do the trick in building up the base to where I can top it off with pink foam . I've got a couple of tubes of LePage PL300 Foam Board adhesive that I hope will work with the bead board .

Terry

Page: of 11 Previous Topic: Las Cajas Yard Topic Next Topic: Need ideas/inspiration!  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.64 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000