Railroad Line Forums - Teejay's Mini
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 122 ]  [ Total: 122 ]  [ Newest Member: colind ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 Teejay's Mini
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Las Cajas Yard Topic Next Topic: Need ideas/inspiration!
Page: of 11

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  09:33:29 AM  Show Profile
Beadboard isn't too bad to work with - just keep a shop-vac handy. One of the first Model Railroader magazines I got in the late 80's featured a 2 level 2 X 4 foot n-scale layout that was a real inspiration for me. The guy used beadboard with white glue and toothpicks (I think) to hold everything together. I am pretty certain that it was a display model that he took to shows. If you want I still have that issue - I'll gladly scan it for you. It deals mostly with how he detailed one section of this layout more then overall construction. Let me know. It happens to be one of the few old magazines I didn't give away.

Joe <><

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  09:51:31 AM  Show Profile
Thanks anyhow , Joe , but the library at my Modular Club should have that issue , so I'll dig it up for a look-see .

Terry

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  09:51:31 AM  Show Profile
Thanks anyhow , Joe , but the library at my Modular Club should have that issue , so I'll dig it up for a look-see .

Terry

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  09:57:29 AM  Show Profile
Good deal Terry. If you want the specific date or anything let me know and I'll check it out when I get home tonight. In the mean time ... happy modeling.

Joe <><

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  09:57:29 AM  Show Profile
Good deal Terry. If you want the specific date or anything let me know and I'll check it out when I get home tonight. In the mean time ... happy modeling.

Joe <><

Wabash Banks
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  12:25:55 PM  Show Profile
I would be interested in a scan of the article! A two level 2X4 sounds quite interesting!

Wabash Banks
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  12:25:55 PM  Show Profile
I would be interested in a scan of the article! A two level 2X4 sounds quite interesting!

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  12:34:11 PM  Show Profile
Sure thing - I'll try to send it tonight if I get home at a resonable hour.

Joe <><

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  12:34:11 PM  Show Profile
Sure thing - I'll try to send it tonight if I get home at a resonable hour.

Joe <><

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/26/2005 :  10:23:55 AM  Show Profile
Just as a note - it was the March, 1989 issue of Model Railroader. Also, the author used contact cement to bond the beadboard not white glue. It must have been me that used the white and tooth picks. Very light weight.

Joe <><

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/26/2005 :  10:23:55 AM  Show Profile
Just as a note - it was the March, 1989 issue of Model Railroader. Also, the author used contact cement to bond the beadboard not white glue. It must have been me that used the white and tooth picks. Very light weight.

Joe <><

Wabash Banks
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/26/2005 :  1:12:23 PM  Show Profile
That is a nice article!
Since my father in law passed away a month ago I have been extremely busy cleaining stuff up. I am at the final weekend for that though and hope to get back to modeling my micro. I would have some pictures to post if I ever developed the film....
I am using 1 inch extruded foam stacked to 2 inches. Since I am using manual turnout controls (read as I am too cheap to buy torises) and I am handlying the track itself, the ability to carve out areas in the foam is essential. I don't want the connecting linkages and things to have to drop 2 inches down so most of the space will be hollowed out in the first layer of foam and partially in the top layer.

Wabash Banks
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/26/2005 :  1:12:23 PM  Show Profile
That is a nice article!
Since my father in law passed away a month ago I have been extremely busy cleaining stuff up. I am at the final weekend for that though and hope to get back to modeling my micro. I would have some pictures to post if I ever developed the film....
I am using 1 inch extruded foam stacked to 2 inches. Since I am using manual turnout controls (read as I am too cheap to buy torises) and I am handlying the track itself, the ability to carve out areas in the foam is essential. I don't want the connecting linkages and things to have to drop 2 inches down so most of the space will be hollowed out in the first layer of foam and partially in the top layer.

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 05/26/2005 :  1:42:56 PM  Show Profile
Joe , you mentioned ' contact cement and foam ' ? The last time I tried that , it did a 'China Syndrome' effect ....ate right through the foam . Maybe in '89 they didn't have the Liquid Nails types of glue .

Terry

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 05/26/2005 :  1:42:56 PM  Show Profile
Joe , you mentioned ' contact cement and foam ' ? The last time I tried that , it did a 'China Syndrome' effect ....ate right through the foam . Maybe in '89 they didn't have the Liquid Nails types of glue .

Terry

Page: of 11 Previous Topic: Las Cajas Yard Topic Next Topic: Need ideas/inspiration!  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000