Railroad Line Forums - Teejay's Mini
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 22 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 84 ]  [ Total: 106 ]  [ Newest Member: nevadablue ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 Teejay's Mini
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Las Cajas Yard Topic Next Topic: Need ideas/inspiration!
Page: of 11

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 05/23/2005 :  12:07:48 AM  Show Profile
Thanks , Tyson , I'll surely consider that .

David , that looks rather involved . I'll bookmark that site and have a closer look .

I would like ( in a perfect world ) to be able to turn the whole layout on it's side to carry it through the doorway ....if possible . The Modular Club does one big show per year and it may be something I want to show off ....if feasible .

Terry

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 05/23/2005 :  12:07:48 AM  Show Profile
Thanks , Tyson , I'll surely consider that .

David , that looks rather involved . I'll bookmark that site and have a closer look .

I would like ( in a perfect world ) to be able to turn the whole layout on it's side to carry it through the doorway ....if possible . The Modular Club does one big show per year and it may be something I want to show off ....if feasible .

Terry

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 05/23/2005 :  12:11:20 AM  Show Profile
Oops , didn't see your post , Al .Thanks for the feedback . Bragdons is not available in Canada ( that I know of ) so I will check it out in Detroit .

Terry

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 05/23/2005 :  12:11:20 AM  Show Profile
Oops , didn't see your post , Al .Thanks for the feedback . Bragdons is not available in Canada ( that I know of ) so I will check it out in Detroit .

Terry

sparkman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/23/2005 :  09:31:31 AM  Show Profile
Terry,
Found the RR-line topic, scroll down to the inside out header to get an idea of how the stuff works. Looks very similar to the old hardshell technique only you are using a different product.
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6210&SearchTerms=geodesic,foam
Hope this helps.
-david j

sparkman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/23/2005 :  09:31:31 AM  Show Profile
Terry,
Found the RR-line topic, scroll down to the inside out header to get an idea of how the stuff works. Looks very similar to the old hardshell technique only you are using a different product.
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6210&SearchTerms=geodesic,foam
Hope this helps.
-david j

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  10:51:34 PM  Show Profile
I'll bounce an idea around . I can get bead-board foam in 3'x3'x2" pieces , for free . I was wondering if I could build up a base of this free material to a foot or more by gluing pieces together . For the upper portion I could top off with pink foam and/or plaster cloth covered with lightweight Hydrocal or some such product that could be shaped .
I'm just wondering if the above Mini could be turned on it's side and carried through a doorway if need be ? Would everything hold or am I dreaming ?

Terry

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  10:51:34 PM  Show Profile
I'll bounce an idea around . I can get bead-board foam in 3'x3'x2" pieces , for free . I was wondering if I could build up a base of this free material to a foot or more by gluing pieces together . For the upper portion I could top off with pink foam and/or plaster cloth covered with lightweight Hydrocal or some such product that could be shaped .
I'm just wondering if the above Mini could be turned on it's side and carried through a doorway if need be ? Would everything hold or am I dreaming ?

Terry

belg
Fireman

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  06:05:39 AM  Show Profile
Terry, I guess that would depend if you glued everything down completely, and how wide the doorway is.If i were building a transportable module I think I would add an extra heavy coat or several thinner coats of 50/50 glue to make sure.Pat

belg
Fireman

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  06:05:39 AM  Show Profile
Terry, I guess that would depend if you glued everything down completely, and how wide the doorway is.If i were building a transportable module I think I would add an extra heavy coat or several thinner coats of 50/50 glue to make sure.Pat

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  07:19:05 AM  Show Profile
Terry, if you glue the foam down with Liquid Nails nothing will move - the stuff is strong. Make sure you get the tube that works with foam.

George

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  07:19:05 AM  Show Profile
Terry, if you glue the foam down with Liquid Nails nothing will move - the stuff is strong. Make sure you get the tube that works with foam.

George

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  09:18:52 AM  Show Profile
Thanks guys . maybe I'll start with this 'freebie ' since I can always discard it if I'm disatisfied with only the cost of the glue to worry about . Even random shaping of the beadboard will result in a heck of a mess with beads flying around , but I'll give it a try .

Terry

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  09:18:52 AM  Show Profile
Thanks guys . maybe I'll start with this 'freebie ' since I can always discard it if I'm disatisfied with only the cost of the glue to worry about . Even random shaping of the beadboard will result in a heck of a mess with beads flying around , but I'll give it a try .

Terry

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  09:33:29 AM  Show Profile
Beadboard isn't too bad to work with - just keep a shop-vac handy. One of the first Model Railroader magazines I got in the late 80's featured a 2 level 2 X 4 foot n-scale layout that was a real inspiration for me. The guy used beadboard with white glue and toothpicks (I think) to hold everything together. I am pretty certain that it was a display model that he took to shows. If you want I still have that issue - I'll gladly scan it for you. It deals mostly with how he detailed one section of this layout more then overall construction. Let me know. It happens to be one of the few old magazines I didn't give away.

Joe <><

Page: of 11 Previous Topic: Las Cajas Yard Topic Next Topic: Need ideas/inspiration!  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000