Railroad Line Forums - Teejay's Mini
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 91 ]  [ Total: 94 ]  [ Newest Member: Movidium ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 Teejay's Mini
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Las Cajas Yard Topic Next Topic: Need ideas/inspiration!
Page: of 11

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 05/07/2005 :  9:50:23 PM  Show Profile
Hi Terry, good to see you back on the mini even though I'm enjoying your loco build as well. A continuous run is certainly doable in On30 but point to point will leave more room for scenery of course. Either way I'm looking forward to your progress!

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/07/2005 :  10:02:31 PM  Show Profile
Welcome back Terry.
I also have been following your Climax construction thread with great interest.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/07/2005 :  10:02:31 PM  Show Profile
Welcome back Terry.
I also have been following your Climax construction thread with great interest.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/08/2005 :  11:02:14 PM  Show Profile
You need to quit your job. It's obvious with the amount of work you've done while on vacation that your job is holding you back.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/08/2005 :  11:02:14 PM  Show Profile
You need to quit your job. It's obvious with the amount of work you've done while on vacation that your job is holding you back.

Tileguy
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  2:23:30 PM  Show Profile
quote:
You need to quit your job. It's obvious with the amount of work you've done while on vacation that your job is holding you back

What a great idea.Do you spose Visa,Mastercard and American express would understand our need to charge materials to fulfill our creative needs without the ability to pay?
Would be a grand gesture on thier part to let all Model railroaders have an unlimited budget with no need to be concerned about making a payment.
Somebody want to get to work on this?A creative presentation would be very helpful

Tileguy
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  2:23:30 PM  Show Profile
quote:
You need to quit your job. It's obvious with the amount of work you've done while on vacation that your job is holding you back

What a great idea.Do you spose Visa,Mastercard and American express would understand our need to charge materials to fulfill our creative needs without the ability to pay?
Would be a grand gesture on thier part to let all Model railroaders have an unlimited budget with no need to be concerned about making a payment.
Somebody want to get to work on this?A creative presentation would be very helpful

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 05/22/2005 :  12:43:54 PM  Show Profile
I'm looking for a couple of suggestions here .

I want the track level about a foot higher than the base , with mountains ( most of the module ) extending another foot higher than the tracks . Cut out of all this will be a curved trestle at one end and the Sierra West Boiler house at the other .

I was thinking of using a big chunk of pink foam to create and shape most of this as it MIGHT be carried someday to put on display although that is not a priority . If I couldn't get a large chunk of pink ( or NON bead board ) foam , I was going to layer/glue it up with narrower pieces . Then I took a trip to home depot and choked when I saw what that would cost in foam .

Any other ideas that would be relatively light weight and not ' break the bank ' ?

Thanks , Terry

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 05/22/2005 :  12:43:54 PM  Show Profile
I'm looking for a couple of suggestions here .

I want the track level about a foot higher than the base , with mountains ( most of the module ) extending another foot higher than the tracks . Cut out of all this will be a curved trestle at one end and the Sierra West Boiler house at the other .

I was thinking of using a big chunk of pink foam to create and shape most of this as it MIGHT be carried someday to put on display although that is not a priority . If I couldn't get a large chunk of pink ( or NON bead board ) foam , I was going to layer/glue it up with narrower pieces . Then I took a trip to home depot and choked when I saw what that would cost in foam .

Any other ideas that would be relatively light weight and not ' break the bank ' ?

Thanks , Terry

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 05/22/2005 :  6:19:54 PM  Show Profile
Have you ever used that spray foam for insulation? The kind they sell in hardware stores for spraying into wall cavities, cracks and crevices. One can can produce a pile about 2 feet across and 2 feet high. It won't harm the foam and can be used in conjuction with it.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 05/22/2005 :  6:19:54 PM  Show Profile
Have you ever used that spray foam for insulation? The kind they sell in hardware stores for spraying into wall cavities, cracks and crevices. One can can produce a pile about 2 feet across and 2 feet high. It won't harm the foam and can be used in conjuction with it.

sparkman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/22/2005 :  6:38:46 PM  Show Profile
Terry,
Check this link out:
http://www.bragdonent.com/foam.htm
I've seen this stuff demonstrated at various shows & it looks like it might do the trick. I think there was even a post about someone using it on their layout.
-david j

sparkman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/22/2005 :  6:38:46 PM  Show Profile
Terry,
Check this link out:
http://www.bragdonent.com/foam.htm
I've seen this stuff demonstrated at various shows & it looks like it might do the trick. I think there was even a post about someone using it on their layout.
-david j

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 05/23/2005 :  12:04:41 AM  Show Profile
Terry,

I've also seen several of Joel Bragdon's demonstrations of his Geodesic Foam Scenery process. Pretty convincing results. He has a huge assortment of rock molds, some of which are quite large. I have a several of his molds, but at this point am still using the familiar hydrocal (lightweight) method. But a friend of mine out here has used Bragdon's foam process and really likes it.

Another idea...I acquired several large chunks of white foam (the beadboard type) that someone had picked up for free out at the airport. I guess it is used for packaging. I'm talking pieces up to 12" thick by whatever. While we don't like to use this type of foam in our hobby because of the mess it makes, it can serve a purpose as a base for more scenery, and is free!

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 05/23/2005 :  12:04:41 AM  Show Profile
Terry,

I've also seen several of Joel Bragdon's demonstrations of his Geodesic Foam Scenery process. Pretty convincing results. He has a huge assortment of rock molds, some of which are quite large. I have a several of his molds, but at this point am still using the familiar hydrocal (lightweight) method. But a friend of mine out here has used Bragdon's foam process and really likes it.

Another idea...I acquired several large chunks of white foam (the beadboard type) that someone had picked up for free out at the airport. I guess it is used for packaging. I'm talking pieces up to 12" thick by whatever. While we don't like to use this type of foam in our hobby because of the mess it makes, it can serve a purpose as a base for more scenery, and is free!

Page: of 11 Previous Topic: Las Cajas Yard Topic Next Topic: Need ideas/inspiration!  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.64 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000