Railroad Line Forums - Teejay's Mini
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 54 ]  [ Total: 60 ]  [ Newest Member: BKey ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 Teejay's Mini
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Las Cajas Yard Topic Next Topic: Need ideas/inspiration!
Page: of 11

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 02/04/2005 :  10:13:34 AM  Show Profile
Ok , I'm set to get started on this but want to ask a couple of questions first as to the construction and configuration of the base .
My base will be 6 feet x 3 feet but will be built as a box with 1 foot sides . So then 6x3x1 are the dimensions and I will use 1/2 inch plywood . I want to support this with large casters to roll it under the HO benchwork when necessary , for storage .
Do I simply use 4 casters , one on each corner ( or thereabouts ) or should I have casters in the middle too. The upper scenery /mountains will be foam construction .Some casters rotate and some are in fixed position . Does it matter if I use some of each ( one pair stationary , one pair rotating etc. etc .)

Second question as to the construction of the box .Does it matter , for strength , how I secure the sides of the 'box ' to the top and bottom pieces ? I can't draw this right now , but do I attach the sides to the top and bottom , or the top and bottom to the sides .

I'm asking this now so as not to need changes part way in .The reason for the box shaped base is storage of various layout pieces while it is under construction, so as to keep things separate from all my HO stuff .

TERRY

Jim T
Fireman

Posted - 02/04/2005 :  10:54:37 AM  Show Profile
Hi Terry, I'll give this a go. DISCLAIMER: Please keep in mind that I tend to over build projects like this. If I understand correctly you are building a box with a bottom that the top (with the layout) will sit on like a lid.

1.) The first thing that comes to mind is that the lid will need some sort of cross pieces to stiffen it up and keep it from sagging.

2.)As far as castors go, one pair stationary will make it a little harder to position it exactly where you want to store which may or may not be a problem.

3.) As far as construction goes this is how I would do it. The bottom sits on the castors, the sides sit on the bottom, and the lid sits on the sides. That way everything is supported by wood and not just the fasteners.

Hope this makes sense and helps.

Jim

Jim T
Fireman

Posted - 02/04/2005 :  10:54:37 AM  Show Profile
Hi Terry, I'll give this a go. DISCLAIMER: Please keep in mind that I tend to over build projects like this. If I understand correctly you are building a box with a bottom that the top (with the layout) will sit on like a lid.

1.) The first thing that comes to mind is that the lid will need some sort of cross pieces to stiffen it up and keep it from sagging.

2.)As far as castors go, one pair stationary will make it a little harder to position it exactly where you want to store which may or may not be a problem.

3.) As far as construction goes this is how I would do it. The bottom sits on the castors, the sides sit on the bottom, and the lid sits on the sides. That way everything is supported by wood and not just the fasteners.

Hope this makes sense and helps.

Jim

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 02/04/2005 :  11:18:59 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Jim . Your #3 makes a lot of sense . As for #1 , I didn't elaborate as I will have two internal cross pieces of 1/2 ply , each a 3ft x 1ft piece .
As for #2 , what does anyone think about 6 casters . If they were all swivel type , could I roll it where I wanted easily ?

TERRY

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 02/04/2005 :  11:18:59 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Jim . Your #3 makes a lot of sense . As for #1 , I didn't elaborate as I will have two internal cross pieces of 1/2 ply , each a 3ft x 1ft piece .
As for #2 , what does anyone think about 6 casters . If they were all swivel type , could I roll it where I wanted easily ?

TERRY

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2005 :  2:27:42 PM  Show Profile
Hi Terry, glad to see you are joining in! Years ago I had a 30" by 8' with 6 swivel casters and it rolled around very easily in whatever direction I wanted. The problem I had was there was no way to level it if the floor wasn't even.

Mike

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2005 :  2:27:42 PM  Show Profile
Hi Terry, glad to see you are joining in! Years ago I had a 30" by 8' with 6 swivel casters and it rolled around very easily in whatever direction I wanted. The problem I had was there was no way to level it if the floor wasn't even.

Mike

Java
New Hire

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  10:26:32 AM  Show Profile
Terry; I know this thread's a little old, but.....I think it would depend on two things. What kind of casters (my rollaway toolbox stack is on 4, and it weighs about half a ton!), and what kind of flooring you're on. The "box" you're describing sounds stiff enough to be fine on 4, if you're on tile or concrete. On carpet, it might move more easily on 6.

Tom
Moose Creek RR
Rockridge Mining Co.

Java
New Hire

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  10:26:32 AM  Show Profile
Terry; I know this thread's a little old, but.....I think it would depend on two things. What kind of casters (my rollaway toolbox stack is on 4, and it weighs about half a ton!), and what kind of flooring you're on. The "box" you're describing sounds stiff enough to be fine on 4, if you're on tile or concrete. On carpet, it might move more easily on 6.

Tom
Moose Creek RR
Rockridge Mining Co.

Section Hand

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  12:18:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit 6100's Homepage
Terry
one thought that comes to mind is to use not 4 but three castors that way the box will sit on any sort of floor the three castors acting as a tripod, and inherently stable. with regard to the issue of it being tippy at the single castor end you could use one of the small toggle type clamps made by people like destaco they make clamps that either pull or push. so you could have 2 clamps set on the corners of the end with the single castor in the middle and when you have moved the rollaway to the desired location you pop the clamps down and it becomes solid. The beauty of the clamps is that they have a large range of motion and a great fine adjustment to suit any floor condition.

Just a few thought for you to contemplate.

regards Michael

If you can dream it you can make it
http://members.shaw.ca/emm48

Section Hand

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  12:18:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit 6100's Homepage
Terry
one thought that comes to mind is to use not 4 but three castors that way the box will sit on any sort of floor the three castors acting as a tripod, and inherently stable. with regard to the issue of it being tippy at the single castor end you could use one of the small toggle type clamps made by people like destaco they make clamps that either pull or push. so you could have 2 clamps set on the corners of the end with the single castor in the middle and when you have moved the rollaway to the desired location you pop the clamps down and it becomes solid. The beauty of the clamps is that they have a large range of motion and a great fine adjustment to suit any floor condition.

Just a few thought for you to contemplate.

regards Michael

If you can dream it you can make it
http://members.shaw.ca/emm48

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  3:56:10 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the ideas Tom and Michael ...I'm thinking 4 swivel casters at this point ...heavy duty types . The 3 caster method is intriguing , but I can just picture myself leaning on one end of the layout , Legs NOT locked down , and everything goes flying , brass loco and all .Not a pretty sight .

Terry

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  3:56:10 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the ideas Tom and Michael ...I'm thinking 4 swivel casters at this point ...heavy duty types . The 3 caster method is intriguing , but I can just picture myself leaning on one end of the layout , Legs NOT locked down , and everything goes flying , brass loco and all .Not a pretty sight .

Terry

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 05/07/2005 :  4:06:33 PM  Show Profile
Since my On30 Climax is coming along well , I thought I'd better get my butt moving and build the base for the Mini .
Dimensions are 6' x 3' , 6" high so as to fit under the train benchwork . Construction is 1/2 plywood and 1x6 pine with 4 heavy duty swivel casters . Now to put together some ideas for the trackwork .

I was going to try for continuous run but maybe point to point makes more sense .

Terry

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 05/07/2005 :  4:06:33 PM  Show Profile
Since my On30 Climax is coming along well , I thought I'd better get my butt moving and build the base for the Mini .
Dimensions are 6' x 3' , 6" high so as to fit under the train benchwork . Construction is 1/2 plywood and 1x6 pine with 4 heavy duty swivel casters . Now to put together some ideas for the trackwork .

I was going to try for continuous run but maybe point to point makes more sense .

Terry

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 05/07/2005 :  9:50:23 PM  Show Profile
Hi Terry, good to see you back on the mini even though I'm enjoying your loco build as well. A continuous run is certainly doable in On30 but point to point will leave more room for scenery of course. Either way I'm looking forward to your progress!

Mike

Page: of 11 Previous Topic: Las Cajas Yard Topic Next Topic: Need ideas/inspiration!  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000