Railroad Line Forums - Minimum radius for an On30 mini layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 108 ]  [ Total: 111 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 Minimum radius for an On30 mini layout
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Old tricks for us old dogs? Topic Next Topic: Blast from the past!
Page: of 6

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  05:44:55 AM  Show Profile
Yeah 6 is pretty small. I'm not sure I can curve my flextrack that sharp.

Marc,
Thanks for the info.

Paul

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  08:35:14 AM  Show Profile
Paul, Fred over at AMR did it with HO flextrack for our last challenge project. To help keep it uniform and in gauge he soldered scrap pieces of straight rail across the curves.

http://www.all-model-railroading.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=414&st=0

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 01/21/2005 08:43:55 AM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  08:35:14 AM  Show Profile
Paul, Fred over at AMR did it with HO flextrack for our last challenge project. To help keep it uniform and in gauge he soldered scrap pieces of straight rail across the curves.

http://www.all-model-railroading.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=414&st=0

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 01/21/2005 08:43:55 AM

On30fan
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  12:37:04 PM  Show Profile
For my 6" radius curves I bent Atlas code 100 flex around the edge of a large tub of detergent. I put spikes into every other tie to hold it there.

Cheers,
Steve
San Juan Lumber Company
Niagara Frontier Traction Company

On30fan
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  12:37:04 PM  Show Profile
For my 6" radius curves I bent Atlas code 100 flex around the edge of a large tub of detergent. I put spikes into every other tie to hold it there.

Cheers,
Steve
San Juan Lumber Company
Niagara Frontier Traction Company

n/a
deleted

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  2:33:39 PM  Show Profile
Flextrack!!!!???Code 83-100!!???
....no, no , no....Handlaid, Code 70.

.....c'mon, heres a chance for all of you that haven't done so before to hand lay track...its not much.......then on to building your own switches

Marc

n/a
deleted

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  2:33:39 PM  Show Profile
Flextrack!!!!???Code 83-100!!???
....no, no , no....Handlaid, Code 70.

.....c'mon, heres a chance for all of you that haven't done so before to hand lay track...its not much.......then on to building your own switches

Marc

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  2:59:00 PM  Show Profile
Marc not all of us like the looks of handlaid track. That 1 grossly oversized spike every 6 or 7th tie or so doesn't cut it. I understand someone handlaying for the enjoyment or satisfaction or whatever but today's modern flextrack has handlaid beat in the looks dept. IMHO. Years past this wasn't true and handlaid was better looking, plus it was the only way to get certain curve radius'. Even when flex first came out the molded details weren't to scale and the rail was way oversized, but not anymore. What alot of people consider to be one of the best looking model railroads of all time, the Franklin and South Manchester, has not one piece of handlaid track because it didn't measure up to the rest of the layout in the looks dept. Having said that I still think handlaid turnouts look better then the current prefab, and of course have greater flexibility as you can do 5.5 or 7.25 or whatever you need to fit. When I look at a photo to determine if it's proto or model the first two things I look for are the K-D (or other brands) trip pin for the magnets (sorry they don't look anything like airhoses and are in the wrong place to boot ) and handlaid track. One or the other will usually destroy an otherwise great photo. Of course this is only my own misguided view and doesn't reflect those of other members, staff or management! I do understand that building your railroad one tie at a time can have it's own appeal, but because of the looks it isn't for me. However if I could get past the looks it would save me a ton of $$$$$$$$$$$$ over flex.

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 01/21/2005 3:48:19 PM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  2:59:00 PM  Show Profile
Marc not all of us like the looks of handlaid track. That 1 grossly oversized spike every 6 or 7th tie or so doesn't cut it. I understand someone handlaying for the enjoyment or satisfaction or whatever but today's modern flextrack has handlaid beat in the looks dept. IMHO. Years past this wasn't true and handlaid was better looking, plus it was the only way to get certain curve radius'. Even when flex first came out the molded details weren't to scale and the rail was way oversized, but not anymore. What alot of people consider to be one of the best looking model railroads of all time, the Franklin and South Manchester, has not one piece of handlaid track because it didn't measure up to the rest of the layout in the looks dept. Having said that I still think handlaid turnouts look better then the current prefab, and of course have greater flexibility as you can do 5.5 or 7.25 or whatever you need to fit. When I look at a photo to determine if it's proto or model the first two things I look for are the K-D (or other brands) trip pin for the magnets (sorry they don't look anything like airhoses and are in the wrong place to boot ) and handlaid track. One or the other will usually destroy an otherwise great photo. Of course this is only my own misguided view and doesn't reflect those of other members, staff or management! I do understand that building your railroad one tie at a time can have it's own appeal, but because of the looks it isn't for me. However if I could get past the looks it would save me a ton of $$$$$$$$$$$$ over flex.

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 01/21/2005 3:48:19 PM

n/a
deleted

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  3:42:35 PM  Show Profile
Tyson....I was just being sarcastic[:-grin]......I like handlaid because of the tie staining/weatrhering options, as well as the rail painting ease...but I do agree with the spike head issue.

Marc

n/a
deleted

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  3:42:35 PM  Show Profile
Tyson....I was just being sarcastic[:-grin]......I like handlaid because of the tie staining/weatrhering options, as well as the rail painting ease...but I do agree with the spike head issue.

Marc

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  3:56:49 PM  Show Profile
Marc I'm not knocking hand laying for other people, if that is how somebody enjoys the hobby that's great, it's just that it will never be for me. I am not implying it's the wrong way as any thing you do in this hobby that gives you enjoyment is the right way. I hope I didn't offend as that wasn't my intention.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  3:56:49 PM  Show Profile
Marc I'm not knocking hand laying for other people, if that is how somebody enjoys the hobby that's great, it's just that it will never be for me. I am not implying it's the wrong way as any thing you do in this hobby that gives you enjoyment is the right way. I hope I didn't offend as that wasn't my intention.

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  8:30:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage
Eddie
My new On30 layout is underway and it is 30" x 126" ( 2.5' x 10.5'). Operational radius 13.5 inches. My Bachmann Shay, 0-4-0 and 0-4-2 Porters handle the track with no problems!

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  8:30:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage
Eddie
My new On30 layout is underway and it is 30" x 126" ( 2.5' x 10.5'). Operational radius 13.5 inches. My Bachmann Shay, 0-4-0 and 0-4-2 Porters handle the track with no problems!

Page: of 6 Previous Topic: Old tricks for us old dogs? Topic Next Topic: Blast from the past!  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000