Railroad Line Forums - Minimum radius for an On30 mini layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 110 ]  [ Total: 114 ]  [ Newest Member: colind ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 Minimum radius for an On30 mini layout
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Old tricks for us old dogs? Topic Next Topic: Blast from the past!
Page: of 6

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

Posted - 01/19/2005 :  11:30:57 PM  Show Profile
I'm in the planning stages for an On30 mini layout which will be about 28" x 48". Using such as narrow depth as 28", I'm wondering what the minimum radius I can get by with. I'm thinking of trying something like 12" to 13". Anyone ever tried going that small? I'll be using a Bachmann 0-4-0 Porter, so am thinking I might be able to get by with it. What do you guys think?

Another question that follows this same vein, what would be the minimum radius turnout I could use for an 0-4-0? I'l like to have a couple of turnouts that basically just go to a stub end siding of some sort.

Thanks!

n/a
deleted

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  04:49:55 AM  Show Profile
Eddie,

I have an 8" radius in my micro layout design which should work for the Davenport....so the porter should work on that or smaller. Below is a post from Bobber Gibbs, moderator of the Yahoo On30 group that tells his experiment with the Porter and some other locos.

"In my tests, the Bachmann Mogul, with a slight modification, can operate in both directions around a 12" (48') radius curve but it looks better on a wider curve. The Bachmann Shay will negotiate a 12" curve in a counter-clockwise direction, but has problems with tight curves in the clockwise direction due to a restricted right-turning ability of the front truck. Minimum turning radius is supposed to be 15" for the Shay and tight curves would be negotiated only at dead slow speed by any locomotive. Where possible, incorporate a slight easement into and out of any sharp curve.

Marc

n/a
deleted

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  04:51:04 AM  Show Profile
OOOPS.... didn't get the porter part pasted!!!

"Our tiny eight ton Porters will wrap around a six inch radius curve easily, but may have problems with the couplers on some tiny cars."

Marc

n/a
deleted

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  04:51:04 AM  Show Profile
OOOPS.... didn't get the porter part pasted!!!

"Our tiny eight ton Porters will wrap around a six inch radius curve easily, but may have problems with the couplers on some tiny cars."

Marc

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  07:48:58 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, I was going to add the part about the couplers . I had some On30 stuff here and the Porter (0-4-2) took a 9 inch curve and #4 turnout with no problems but NONE of Bachmann's freight cars or it's caboose wanted to take anything smaller than about 14 inches. However with some modifications I'm sure they could take some tighter curves. There is an ad in the NG&SG for 14 ft. rolling stock that would be better suited for the tight curves I would think. Look on page 4 of the latest issue for the International Hobbies ad.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  07:48:58 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, I was going to add the part about the couplers . I had some On30 stuff here and the Porter (0-4-2) took a 9 inch curve and #4 turnout with no problems but NONE of Bachmann's freight cars or it's caboose wanted to take anything smaller than about 14 inches. However with some modifications I'm sure they could take some tighter curves. There is an ad in the NG&SG for 14 ft. rolling stock that would be better suited for the tight curves I would think. Look on page 4 of the latest issue for the International Hobbies ad.

On30fan
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  12:18:17 PM  Show Profile
I built a test oval on a 14x18 board with 6" radius curves. The 0-4-0 went around at full speed pulling a couple of grandt line ore cars with no problems. The 0-4-2 also went around by itself with no problems but pulled the ore cars off the track because of the rear overhang.

Cheers,
Steve
San Juan Lumber Company
Niagara Frontier Traction Company

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  1:02:58 PM  Show Profile
I was wondering the same about my 0-4--0 Climax and turn radii . I figured it could handle a small radius turn on it's own but the rolling stock ( so far ) is a conventional flat car and probably couldn't handle too small a radius without the coupler binding .With my setup and longer cars , I'm probably going to use 20" radius as the tightest .I think visually it will look better that way without exaggerated overhang .

TERRY

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  1:02:58 PM  Show Profile
I was wondering the same about my 0-4--0 Climax and turn radii . I figured it could handle a small radius turn on it's own but the rolling stock ( so far ) is a conventional flat car and probably couldn't handle too small a radius without the coupler binding .With my setup and longer cars , I'm probably going to use 20" radius as the tightest .I think visually it will look better that way without exaggerated overhang .

TERRY

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  4:07:36 PM  Show Profile
Terry you mentioned in another post your mini was going to be 72" by 36" but you might narrow that down to 72" by 30" and if possible you wanted a continous run. How are you going to get your 20" radius on benchwork 30" to 36" wide , what do you know that the rest of us don't ??? Fess up Terry, we want to know your secret!

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  4:07:36 PM  Show Profile
Terry you mentioned in another post your mini was going to be 72" by 36" but you might narrow that down to 72" by 30" and if possible you wanted a continous run. How are you going to get your 20" radius on benchwork 30" to 36" wide , what do you know that the rest of us don't ??? Fess up Terry, we want to know your secret!

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  4:19:46 PM  Show Profile
Wow, that's pretty incredible, a 6" radius! I think I'll get some flex track out and tack it down and play with it at some of these small radii and see how well it works. Thanks for all the input.

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  4:19:46 PM  Show Profile
Wow, that's pretty incredible, a 6" radius! I think I'll get some flex track out and tack it down and play with it at some of these small radii and see how well it works. Thanks for all the input.

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  4:51:29 PM  Show Profile
Um...it'll be on a 45degree angle ?! It will have an , er , outrigger ! It'll be an optical illusion . Take yer pick . ( can't post a smilie )

T

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  7:28:42 PM  Show Profile
Thank God! I kept trying to figure out what I was missing

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  05:44:55 AM  Show Profile
Yeah 6 is pretty small. I'm not sure I can curve my flextrack that sharp.

Marc,
Thanks for the info.

Paul

Page: of 6 Previous Topic: Old tricks for us old dogs? Topic Next Topic: Blast from the past!  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000