Railroad Line Forums - BGM NA Locomotive Kit Construction Logs
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 116 ]  [ Total: 121 ]  [ Newest Member: Mark DeSchane ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 The Roundhouse
 BGM NA Locomotive Kit Construction Logs
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: John Humphreys NA Construction Log Topic Next Topic: Keith McCarrons NA Construction Log
Page: of 4

speedlimit20
Section Hand

Posted - 10/14/2004 :  10:42:34 AM  Show Profile

Hi guys from Oz.
This forum is intended to be the place to discuss the construction of the Broad Gauge Models' On30 Victorian Narrow Gauge class NA locomotive kits.

The idea is to create your own log and to discuss your progress with explanations and photos as you go.

Hopefully, we can share our experiences, give advice, take criticism and teach each other what to do with the kit and what not to do.

So, let's go!

Edited by - speedlimit20 on 10/22/2004 12:18:23 AM

mccarronau
New Hire

Posted - 10/16/2004 :  08:24:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit mccarronau's Homepage
Rick - Your construction of the NA looks very neat. There is no evidence of solder, even on the inside of the sadle tank in the photo. Are you soldering or gluing the pieces together? - Keith

mccarronau
New Hire

Posted - 10/16/2004 :  08:24:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit mccarronau's Homepage
Rick - Your construction of the NA looks very neat. There is no evidence of solder, even on the inside of the sadle tank in the photo. Are you soldering or gluing the pieces together? - Keith

speedlimit20
Section Hand

Posted - 10/16/2004 :  6:59:43 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by mccarronau

Hi Keith :
I am soldering it all together. But i haven't soldered the side tanks onto the footboards yet. It is just sitting there in the photo. And i decided to solder the handrails and water filler tanks onto the tank castings before attempting to solder the tanks on. Not sure if i trust the glue approach for longevity of the heavy metal engine. And i am determined to learn how to solder properly; or at least to a level that will work and that is neat enough not to have to spend hours cleaning off solder overflow.

I've posted a photo from the cab end that shows what i'm aiming for in soldering neatness. It seems to me that it's just a matter of practicing techniques until we find one that works for us.

Good to see that you have come on board.
Can you create a McCarron building log topic and post some photos of how your engine is coming along?

Edited by - speedlimit20 on 10/16/2004 7:02:31 PM

speedlimit20
Section Hand

Posted - 10/16/2004 :  6:59:43 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by mccarronau

Hi Keith :
I am soldering it all together. But i haven't soldered the side tanks onto the footboards yet. It is just sitting there in the photo. And i decided to solder the handrails and water filler tanks onto the tank castings before attempting to solder the tanks on. Not sure if i trust the glue approach for longevity of the heavy metal engine. And i am determined to learn how to solder properly; or at least to a level that will work and that is neat enough not to have to spend hours cleaning off solder overflow.

I've posted a photo from the cab end that shows what i'm aiming for in soldering neatness. It seems to me that it's just a matter of practicing techniques until we find one that works for us.

Good to see that you have come on board.
Can you create a McCarron building log topic and post some photos of how your engine is coming along?

Edited by - speedlimit20 on 10/16/2004 7:02:31 PM

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 10/18/2004 :  01:26:48 AM  Show Profile
Fancy bumping into you two guys.....I can see why the RRL forum is popular..... discussion for specific topics

Rick... will you be saving feedback from the Aus group and placing it here....

Keith, please let me know what Sunbury pics you may need or is just general stuff.

Mario

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 10/18/2004 :  01:26:48 AM  Show Profile
Fancy bumping into you two guys.....I can see why the RRL forum is popular..... discussion for specific topics

Rick... will you be saving feedback from the Aus group and placing it here....

Keith, please let me know what Sunbury pics you may need or is just general stuff.

Mario

speedlimit20
Section Hand

Posted - 10/18/2004 :  02:48:03 AM  Show Profile
Hi Mario ...
We might say the same ... fancy bumping into you :-) I must say, though, that i can see that this forum is a favourite haunting spot for you.

One of the outcomes of creating these building logs is to hopefully have as much shared information about the building of this kit here on this forum. Seems to make sense to do that so everyone who is building the loco can see what the advices, recommendations, pitfalls, improvements, dcc, etc that anyone else, building the kit or not, may have to offer.

So yes, any feedback that we can get will go here as we go along.

Thanks, mate ... and thanks for the encouragement.

speedlimit20
Section Hand

Posted - 10/18/2004 :  02:48:03 AM  Show Profile
Hi Mario ...
We might say the same ... fancy bumping into you :-) I must say, though, that i can see that this forum is a favourite haunting spot for you.

One of the outcomes of creating these building logs is to hopefully have as much shared information about the building of this kit here on this forum. Seems to make sense to do that so everyone who is building the loco can see what the advices, recommendations, pitfalls, improvements, dcc, etc that anyone else, building the kit or not, may have to offer.

So yes, any feedback that we can get will go here as we go along.

Thanks, mate ... and thanks for the encouragement.

bpate
Fireman

Posted - 10/18/2004 :  03:16:13 AM  Show Profile
Welcome to the RRL forum Rick, nice to see another Aussie on board. While I don't plan to get the NG kit I will be pleased to watch the progress. You mention DCC, so while I am no expert if I can assist on that subject I would be happy to.

Cheers

bpate
Fireman

Posted - 10/18/2004 :  03:16:13 AM  Show Profile
Welcome to the RRL forum Rick, nice to see another Aussie on board. While I don't plan to get the NG kit I will be pleased to watch the progress. You mention DCC, so while I am no expert if I can assist on that subject I would be happy to.

Cheers

johnhu
New Hire

Posted - 10/19/2004 :  06:16:04 AM  Show Profile
Hey all,

Anybody got any suggestions on how to correct wobbly wheelsets. (ie: Wheelsets not square on the axles).

I've also got some loose outside cranks, but those I can fix OK.

Ta.

John Humphrey.

johnhu
New Hire

Posted - 10/19/2004 :  06:16:04 AM  Show Profile
Hey all,

Anybody got any suggestions on how to correct wobbly wheelsets. (ie: Wheelsets not square on the axles).

I've also got some loose outside cranks, but those I can fix OK.

Ta.

John Humphrey.

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 10/19/2004 :  09:58:05 AM  Show Profile
Wobbly wheels.... i think Bernard Snookdyk, Keith McCarron and others from the Ausgroup should be able help John with this problem.
The question has been raised a few times.

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 10/19/2004 :  09:58:05 AM  Show Profile
Wobbly wheels.... i think Bernard Snookdyk, Keith McCarron and others from the Ausgroup should be able help John with this problem.
The question has been raised a few times.

speedlimit20
Section Hand

Posted - 10/19/2004 :  6:37:56 PM  Show Profile
Hi John :

Wobbly Wheelsets

Mario is correct about advice coming from the experts. I received e-mail yesterday that said :

The shoddy wheel mounting refers to the problem related to the wheels being:

• Either not square on the axle so that they wobble. This creates a range of problems including being out of gauge
  • Wheels not central to the axle. This means that the locomotive gets a rather interesting gait since the relative position of the axle to rail height constantly changes.
  • You MUST check that the main axle drive gear is absolutely square and concentric on the axle. If it is not the model CANNOT operate satisfactorily and the drive will bind badly. This is a problem on many of the second run of the Na.

The easiest way to check these problems is to roll the wheelsets towards you on a smooth surface. The problems will be visible. If the wheels run true all is well if not they must be fixed by BGM since it NOT possible to remove the nylon centred wheel sets from the axle and remount them. Once incorrectly set the wheel centre and the nylon gear will ALWAYS go back to their original faulty setting.

I have one badly wobbling wheelset on the first NA kit and can attest that the wheels will not straighten out with any amount of coaxing to go straight. All tugs and pulls with pliers have resulted in no improvement ... they just go back to being crooked.

I haven't checked my 2nd NA kit's wheelsets yet but at least the 1st kit's wheels will be going back to BGM for replacement/repair.

Checking an e-mail that i received from Brian back in January this year, he says in part :

We at BGM have always been open to any of our customers that have a problem with any of our products by repairing or replacing any defective part that is in one of our kits, this was and still is our policy from the very beginning. We are always open to talk to about our plans, kits etc either by email, phone or at exhibitions yet we do still here mutterings from time to time of people that have a problem and instead of getting in contact with us just grumble. Got a problem then give us a call.

Seems to me that BGM will be happy to fix / replace the wobbly wheels. I'll give Brian a ring today or tonight and talk to him about it.

Let's see.

Edited by - speedlimit20 on 10/19/2004 7:04:53 PM

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: John Humphreys NA Construction Log Topic Next Topic: Keith McCarrons NA Construction Log  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000