Railroad Line Forums - Nantahala Mining & Transportation Co.
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 108 ]  [ Total: 112 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 Nantahala Mining & Transportation Co.
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Copper Creek Mining Company Topic Next Topic: Teejays OTHER Mini
Page: of 17

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/25/2004 :  12:06:45 PM  Show Profile
This little railroad ( and I mean little )was created to connect a gold mining operation with my Nantahala Midland R.R. The mine is in a remote area of the southern Appalacians so everthing including the workers must come and go by rail only, no roads of any kind have (or ever ) will be built. This is a 12" x 24" endevour. This first shot is what the track laid out end to end would look like

This is more what it will look although the tunnel has already been relocated from the upper right to the lower right.

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 08/25/2004 12:08:20

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 08/25/2004 12:08:20 PM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/25/2004 :  12:19:14 PM  Show Profile
Track laid and wired!

Building up the mountain range and carving out the crick

After adding the spackling compound and painting everthing a flat green it's starting to take shape. First side is where the town will go, the buildings and trees you see now are just for chuckles.

This end is the "gorge" or wilderness area

This side is where the mine complex will be, the buildings there now are just to give me an idea of space

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 08/25/2004 12:21:22 PM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/25/2004 :  12:19:14 PM  Show Profile
Track laid and wired!

Building up the mountain range and carving out the crick

After adding the spackling compound and painting everthing a flat green it's starting to take shape. First side is where the town will go, the buildings and trees you see now are just for chuckles.

This end is the "gorge" or wilderness area

This side is where the mine complex will be, the buildings there now are just to give me an idea of space

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 08/25/2004 12:21:22 PM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/25/2004 :  12:32:48 PM  Show Profile
I decided to start the scenery in the gorge area first. Here I've painted the crick bottom brown on the edges and dark blue in the center, glued a few rocks in place draped poly fiberfill (white) along the bottom and around the rocks as I'm going for the whitewater look that is so common here. I already have applied a few coats of gloss medium, many more to go. I painted any areas I think I might leave as exposed rock a light gray and started the coloring process using chalks. I already started the ballasting using a 50/50 mix of native dirt and clay with WS fine med. gray ballast.

Started adding the trees and bushes. I have always wanted to do a fall layout but was afraid I'd screw it up, but with a micro you can try new things because it won't be that big a deal to redo if it doesn't work out.

Added a bridge

And the gorge is done! 5" x 12" done, 19" x 12" to go!

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 08/25/2004 12:36:46 PM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/25/2004 :  12:32:48 PM  Show Profile
I decided to start the scenery in the gorge area first. Here I've painted the crick bottom brown on the edges and dark blue in the center, glued a few rocks in place draped poly fiberfill (white) along the bottom and around the rocks as I'm going for the whitewater look that is so common here. I already have applied a few coats of gloss medium, many more to go. I painted any areas I think I might leave as exposed rock a light gray and started the coloring process using chalks. I already started the ballasting using a 50/50 mix of native dirt and clay with WS fine med. gray ballast.

Started adding the trees and bushes. I have always wanted to do a fall layout but was afraid I'd screw it up, but with a micro you can try new things because it won't be that big a deal to redo if it doesn't work out.

Added a bridge

And the gorge is done! 5" x 12" done, 19" x 12" to go!

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 08/25/2004 12:36:46 PM

TomPM
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/25/2004 :  1:15:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit TomPM's Homepage  Send TomPM a Yahoo! Message
WOW! Great job.

I am very impressed with what you have done in a small space.

Got me thinking. Hmm... Must resist.. too many other things to do......

Tom
Jack of All Trades Master of None
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
NARA Member #100

TomPM
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/25/2004 :  1:15:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit TomPM's Homepage  Send TomPM a Yahoo! Message
WOW! Great job.

I am very impressed with what you have done in a small space.

Got me thinking. Hmm... Must resist.. too many other things to do......

Tom
My Rail Images Gallery
NARA Member #100

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/25/2004 :  1:47:08 PM  Show Profile
I tried resisting but it didn't work Tom! Right now I'm considering tearing down the main layout and rebuilding with a series of mini/micros instead.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/25/2004 :  1:47:08 PM  Show Profile
I tried resisting but it didn't work Tom! Right now I'm considering tearing down the main layout and rebuilding with a series of mini/micros instead.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/25/2004 :  2:29:21 PM  Show Profile
Tyson, this is very impressive! As we've discussed in the past, this concept opens up many possibilites. One of the things that excites me the most about this is the opportunity it offers to experiment with new or different materials and explore new or different techniques, all while making visible and marked progress.

Nicely done!

Tom, I would think the micro/mini concept would be right up your alley. It's not greatly different, ultimately, than what you did last spring with your water tower diorama. And the photo possibilites are just as great! You should consider it.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/25/2004 :  2:29:21 PM  Show Profile
Tyson, this is very impressive! As we've discussed in the past, this concept opens up many possibilites. One of the things that excites me the most about this is the opportunity it offers to experiment with new or different materials and explore new or different techniques, all while making visible and marked progress.

Nicely done!

Tom, I would think the micro/mini concept would be right up your alley. It's not greatly different, ultimately, than what you did last spring with your water tower diorama. And the photo possibilites are just as great! You should consider it.

TomPM
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/25/2004 :  2:41:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit TomPM's Homepage  Send TomPM a Yahoo! Message
Mike

I think I have been following this course all along. The dioramas and Challenge 2 were a step in that direction. I guess I just needed a name for it.

I just read over the other post on Mini/micros and will post a more thought out response there later this evening. This concept has got the brain going in too many directions right now and no time to organize them.

As I said I will post something to http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5198 later tonight. I donít want to clutter up this post and take anything away from Tysonís achievement here.

Tom
My Rail Images Gallery
NARA Member #100

TomPM
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/25/2004 :  2:41:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit TomPM's Homepage  Send TomPM a Yahoo! Message
Mike

I think I have been following this course all along. The dioramas and Challenge 2 were a step in that direction. I guess I just needed a name for it.

I just read over the other post on Mini/micros and will post a more thought out response there later this evening. This concept has got the brain going in too many directions right now and no time to organize them.

As I said I will post something to http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5198 later tonight. I donít want to clutter up this post and take anything away from Tysonís achievement here.

Tom
My Rail Images Gallery
NARA Member #100

lab-dad
Fireman

Posted - 08/25/2004 :  4:07:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit lab-dad's Homepage  Send lab-dad a Yahoo! Message
NICE JOB Tyson!
I'm glad to see someone else using the Nanthahala name.
My N scale short line is the Nanthahala Katy & Pilsner.

Great work, would look good on my desk at work....hmm......

lab-dad
Fireman

Posted - 08/25/2004 :  4:07:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit lab-dad's Homepage  Send lab-dad a Yahoo! Message
NICE JOB Tyson!
I'm glad to see someone else using the Nanthahala name.
My N scale short line is the Nanthahala Katy & Pilsner.

Great work, would look good on my desk at work....hmm......

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/25/2004 :  4:56:00 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the kind words guys! Lab-dad I live in the Nantahala Nat. Forest and next to the Nantahala gorge here in S.W. North Carolina. Do you live in this area also or is there a Nantahala something or another where you live? BTW Nanthala is Cherokee for what? And why do they call it that?

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 08/25/2004 4:57:19 PM

Page: of 17 Previous Topic: Copper Creek Mining Company Topic Next Topic: Teejays OTHER Mini  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000