Railroad Line Forums - Finally! A Good Deal at the LHS!
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 111 ]  [ Total: 117 ]  [ Newest Member: Mark DeSchane ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 The Roundhouse
 Finally! A Good Deal at the LHS!
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: BGM NA Kit General Discussion Area Topic Next Topic: Membership forms for TWVRPS
Page: of 2

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  5:31:31 PM  Show Profile
The train shop I've been going to for about a year has had an MDC/Roundhouse 2-6-0 Mogul "Old Timer" kit on the shelf for the entire time. It was priced at $80. I looked at it a couple of times but didn't want to spend the money either time. But today I decided I'd go ahead and take the plunge, especially since MDC has been sold and there's some speculation that the loco kits will no longer be produced. So I snatched the kit off the shelf and took it up to the counter. The owner said he'd discount it a few dollars because he was glad to finally get rid of it. He rang it up at $55! I thought that was a heck of a good deal! Now I'm wondering what else he'd like to get rid of... maybe a Genesis Light Mikado or a B-Mann Shay.... .. but I'm probably dreaming.

Oh well... I don't know when I'll get to start on the Mogul but at least I'll know it's available when I am ready.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  5:37:20 PM  Show Profile
Mike,
That was a great deal indeed! Have you bought any of there other kits? How do they run? Do they require a lot of "tweaking"? I ask, because I have seen an MDC kit on the shelf on one of the shops I frequent, and was contemplating a purchase.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  5:37:20 PM  Show Profile
Mike,
That was a great deal indeed! Have you bought any of there other kits? How do they run? Do they require a lot of "tweaking"? I ask, because I have seen an MDC kit on the shelf on one of the shops I frequent, and was contemplating a purchase.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  6:08:48 PM  Show Profile
Bruce, I've built a couple of their kits over the years and really like them. They do require some tweaking, but it's nothing major, and they run well. Also, NWSL makes regear kits that fit most of the motors used by MDC, and they make a difference in both smoothness and quietness. I think they cost around $20 per kit now.

The 2-truck Shay kit is a bit tricky, but the lokie's a great runner once properly assembled. Mine will literally crawl along at a few inches per hour. If you ever build that one, I highly recommend getting the NWSL "Bull Gear" replacement and "Partial Re-Gear" kit for it. The new metal gears make a huge difference in how smoothly it runs.

The Mogul will join the 3-truck Shay kit on the "to do" shelf. Now if I could just find an undecorated 10-wheeler kit to join them....

Oh, and one other thing: the Roundhouse kits are very easy to "superdetail" with piping, brass castings, etc., from Cal Scale, PSC, and others.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  6:08:48 PM  Show Profile
Bruce, I've built a couple of their kits over the years and really like them. They do require some tweaking, but it's nothing major, and they run well. Also, NWSL makes regear kits that fit most of the motors used by MDC, and they make a difference in both smoothness and quietness. I think they cost around $20 per kit now.

The 2-truck Shay kit is a bit tricky, but the lokie's a great runner once properly assembled. Mine will literally crawl along at a few inches per hour. If you ever build that one, I highly recommend getting the NWSL "Bull Gear" replacement and "Partial Re-Gear" kit for it. The new metal gears make a huge difference in how smoothly it runs.

The Mogul will join the 3-truck Shay kit on the "to do" shelf. Now if I could just find an undecorated 10-wheeler kit to join them....

Oh, and one other thing: the Roundhouse kits are very easy to "superdetail" with piping, brass castings, etc., from Cal Scale, PSC, and others.

MP Rich
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  8:49:07 PM  Show Profile
Now I need to know just how interested you are in that Mikado. Did you ever here the story about the guy that built his turntable too short for the engine he had?
I'm living breathing proof of that story.
Seemed the right size when I measured them but it is just real tight when I try to operate and get on the table. It can be done but with real fussy running. Not really the type thing I want to deal with so I have been thinking of getting out of the 2-8-2 I have. Maybe we need to talk about an exchange at the lake or something. With me running to St. Louis and Columbia, it would seem to be doable. Richard

MP Rich
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  8:49:07 PM  Show Profile
Now I need to know just how interested you are in that Mikado. Did you ever here the story about the guy that built his turntable too short for the engine he had?
I'm living breathing proof of that story.
Seemed the right size when I measured them but it is just real tight when I try to operate and get on the table. It can be done but with real fussy running. Not really the type thing I want to deal with so I have been thinking of getting out of the 2-8-2 I have. Maybe we need to talk about an exchange at the lake or something. With me running to St. Louis and Columbia, it would seem to be doable. Richard

mnguy
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  9:20:52 PM  Show Profile
Mike,
Please forgive a dumb question, how close is the model you bought to the DM&IR Baldwin 2-6-0 known as "3-Spot" pictured at this url: http://www.missabe.com/dir3.html
Other than the smoke stack (and lettering)? Do you think it would be hard to modify the MDC model? (since I've not mastered painting, and glue my fingers together more often than what I'm actually trying to glue, I realize this is a loaded question).

The Lake Superior Railroad Museum will be having a train show in Sept or Oct, so I'm hoping to see a model of this available up there, but if not, I may have to think about finding something close that I could mess up myself.

BTW- congrats on the deal. Always nice to find a little pearl.
Thanks,
Bill

mnguy
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  9:20:52 PM  Show Profile
Mike,
Please forgive a dumb question, how close is the model you bought to the DM&IR Baldwin 2-6-0 known as "3-Spot" pictured at this url: http://www.missabe.com/dir3.html
Other than the smoke stack (and lettering)? Do you think it would be hard to modify the MDC model? (since I've not mastered painting, and glue my fingers together more often than what I'm actually trying to glue, I realize this is a loaded question).

The Lake Superior Railroad Museum will be having a train show in Sept or Oct, so I'm hoping to see a model of this available up there, but if not, I may have to think about finding something close that I could mess up myself.

BTW- congrats on the deal. Always nice to find a little pearl.
Thanks,
Bill

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  9:46:57 PM  Show Profile
Bill, I don't have the kit in front of me at the moment. (It's already on the shelf in the basement.) Based on the photos with the kit and the photo in your link, I don't think modification should be too difficult. The kit comes with 3(?) different stacks, including a balloon stack, as well as several other detail parts. I noticed the headlamp in your photo; the kit has one in that style also. Plus, Cal Scale and others have plenty of detail and replacement parts. I think it's doable.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  9:46:57 PM  Show Profile
Bill, I don't have the kit in front of me at the moment. (It's already on the shelf in the basement.) Based on the photos with the kit and the photo in your link, I don't think modification should be too difficult. The kit comes with 3(?) different stacks, including a balloon stack, as well as several other detail parts. I noticed the headlamp in your photo; the kit has one in that style also. Plus, Cal Scale and others have plenty of detail and replacement parts. I think it's doable.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  9:55:22 PM  Show Profile
Richard, I could be interested.... The problem is all of my equipment falls basically into two categories. One consists of the things I would not consider trading (my work train cars, for example), and the other consists of old junk that's not worth trading. So we'd probably be talking about a cash deal.

I can usually be found at the Lake from Thursday to Monday. I'm back in the city late Monday afternoon to Thursday morning.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  9:55:22 PM  Show Profile
Richard, I could be interested.... The problem is all of my equipment falls basically into two categories. One consists of the things I would not consider trading (my work train cars, for example), and the other consists of old junk that's not worth trading. So we'd probably be talking about a cash deal.

I can usually be found at the Lake from Thursday to Monday. I'm back in the city late Monday afternoon to Thursday morning.

MP Rich
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  10:45:15 PM  Show Profile
Mike- Look for PM comming your way. Richard

MP Rich
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  10:45:15 PM  Show Profile
Mike- Look for PM comming your way. Richard

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/05/2004 :  07:28:04 AM  Show Profile
Nice deal Mike!

I think I paid $70 or $75 for mine about a year ago. And like yours it is sitting on a shelf to be built at a future date.

BTW I recently picked up some Rivarossi undecorated 2 Truck Heislers from TrainWorld for $79.95 each.

Harry

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: BGM NA Kit General Discussion Area Topic Next Topic: Membership forms for TWVRPS  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000