Railroad Line Forums - Bachmann Spectrum On30 Shay
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 110 ]  [ Total: 113 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Bachmann Spectrum On30 Shay
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Jerky Shay Topic Next Topic: 2 level layout with helix
Page: of 8

lab-dad
Fireman

Posted - 06/28/2004 :  10:25:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit lab-dad's Homepage  Send lab-dad a Yahoo! Message
Has anyone looked at making a "better" set of contacts for the Shays trucks?
I have had to "adjust" both of mine.
Seems to me a flat piece of sprung brass would work much better.
The little wires look so hoakey to me.
Anyone?........

hminky
Fireman

Posted - 06/28/2004 :  11:38:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit hminky's Homepage
My brother's and my shay both go around an 18" radius both ways. The sound is really neat, needs clean track though. Whoda thunk an O scale shay, a really neat funky one at that, without having to sell your first born.
Harold

hminky
Fireman

Posted - 06/28/2004 :  11:38:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit hminky's Homepage
My brother's and my shay both go around an 18" radius both ways. The sound is really neat, needs clean track though. Whoda thunk an O scale shay, a really neat funky one at that, without having to sell your first born.
Harold

On30fan
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/28/2004 :  11:54:08 AM  Show Profile
I'm looking for a better set of contacts too. One of the ones on the front truck wasn't making contact at all. I tweaked it as best I could but it's still not right.

Cheers,
Steve
San Juan Lumber Company
Niagara Frontier Traction Company

On30fan
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/28/2004 :  11:54:08 AM  Show Profile
I'm looking for a better set of contacts too. One of the ones on the front truck wasn't making contact at all. I tweaked it as best I could but it's still not right.

Cheers,
Steve
San Juan Lumber Company
Niagara Frontier Traction Company

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 07/11/2004 :  03:02:41 AM  Show Profile
I got my Shay & 0-4-2 Porter today. WOW!! They look great & run beautifully. I highly recommend them.

Paul

Edited by - paulbrockatsf on 07/11/2004 03:04:49 AM

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 07/11/2004 :  03:02:41 AM  Show Profile
I got my Shay & 0-4-2 Porter today. WOW!! They look great & run beautifully. I highly recommend them.

Paul

Edited by - paulbrockatsf on 07/11/2004 03:04:49 AM

Shamus
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/11/2004 :  05:19:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shamus's Homepage
I have found the 0n30 shay to be an excellent runner indeed. I didn't instal any sound units as I have a different sound system on my layout with speakers all around the room which I just switch in and out as the loco arrives at each speaker. I have however converted my shay to the open cab type, here's a photo of her.
Shamus

Shamus
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/11/2004 :  05:19:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shamus's Homepage
I have found the 0n30 shay to be an excellent runner indeed. I didn't instal any sound units as I have a different sound system on my layout with speakers all around the room which I just switch in and out as the loco arrives at each speaker. I have however converted my shay to the open cab type, here's a photo of her.
Shamus

hminky
Fireman

Posted - 07/11/2004 :  07:49:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit hminky's Homepage
Shamus,
Love your work, very backwoodsy.
Harold

hminky
Fireman

Posted - 07/11/2004 :  07:49:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit hminky's Homepage
Shamus,
Love your work, very backwoodsy.
Harold

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 07/11/2004 :  8:10:36 PM  Show Profile
Shamus,

Great looking converted shay. I am probably going to buy another one to convert & kitbash.

Paul B

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 07/11/2004 :  8:10:36 PM  Show Profile
Shamus,

Great looking converted shay. I am probably going to buy another one to convert & kitbash.

Paul B

bpate
Fireman

Posted - 08/14/2004 :  02:49:13 AM  Show Profile
I have finally got around to fitting the sound decoder to my On30 Shay. All went well apart from step 1 during which I damaged a detail item of the framing when undoing the first of the screws holding the tender shell. The screws are very close to these detail parts. It should be easy enough to fix. It simply flew off somewhere! If I can find it I will glue it back on or if not fashion a replacement.

The sound decoder is very similar, naturally, to that on the HO shay. I didn't attempt the optional sound cam installation at this stage. Not sure it will need it.

Sounds great.

bpate
Fireman

Posted - 08/14/2004 :  02:49:13 AM  Show Profile
I have finally got around to fitting the sound decoder to my On30 Shay. All went well apart from step 1 during which I damaged a detail item of the framing when undoing the first of the screws holding the tender shell. The screws are very close to these detail parts. It should be easy enough to fix. It simply flew off somewhere! If I can find it I will glue it back on or if not fashion a replacement.

The sound decoder is very similar, naturally, to that on the HO shay. I didn't attempt the optional sound cam installation at this stage. Not sure it will need it.

Sounds great.

Page: of 8 Previous Topic: Jerky Shay Topic Next Topic: 2 level layout with helix  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000