Railroad Line Forums - Bachmann Spectrum On30 Shay
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 112 ]  [ Total: 114 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Bachmann Spectrum On30 Shay
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Jerky Shay Topic Next Topic: 2 level layout with helix
Page: of 8

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 05/13/2004 :  04:14:32 AM  Show Profile

Barry,
Thank you for the review of your Shay. I am looking forward to your future posts. I would like to buy a Shay & a porter. I wouldn’t mind getting the gas mechanical Nick is talking about.

I read on one of the other forums saying that you are going to use aluminum for your modules. Where could I get more info on that? Are your modules for shows or just home use?

Nick
I agree, I would definitely want the upgrade kit. Backwoods Miniatures has some nice items. I am glad I can finally use some of them.

Paul

bpate
Fireman

Posted - 05/13/2004 :  06:53:27 AM  Show Profile
Paul and Brian,

Mario Rapinett's aluminium framing method is described at the website below and is on the CD Nick mentions. I recommend it highly. Out here the cost is low, especially in light of the benefit of ease of assembly, low weight and portability.

http://www.nmra.org.au/pages/framing.htm

I have taken a couple of pictures and have described my take on it here:

http://uk.geocities.com/barry_pate/html/framing.html

My modules will be for home use and potentially for exhibitions if I feel I achieve a good enough standard.

Nick, I have come across a Shay on eBay for potentially as little as US$160 but am a bit wary of ebay so was happy to pay a bit more to get it from a recommended supplier. So I got mine from B&F Hobby at http://www.bnfhoby.com/. Their price is US$179.95. Good people to deal with. Allowing for shipping and you may still save a few pounds.

bpate
Fireman

Posted - 05/13/2004 :  06:53:27 AM  Show Profile
Paul and Brian,

Mario Rapinett's aluminium framing method is described at the website below and is on the CD Nick mentions. I recommend it highly. Out here the cost is low, especially in light of the benefit of ease of assembly, low weight and portability.

http://www.nmra.org.au/pages/framing.htm

I have taken a couple of pictures and have described my take on it here:

http://uk.geocities.com/barry_pate/html/framing.html

My modules will be for home use and potentially for exhibitions if I feel I achieve a good enough standard.

Nick, I have come across a Shay on eBay for potentially as little as US$160 but am a bit wary of ebay so was happy to pay a bit more to get it from a recommended supplier. So I got mine from B&F Hobby at http://www.bnfhoby.com/. Their price is US$179.95. Good people to deal with. Allowing for shipping and you may still save a few pounds.

Lighthorseman
Section Hand

Posted - 05/13/2004 :  11:09:28 AM  Show Profile
I'll also be eyeing this thread with interest. Although I don't need a Shay, ( I have 2 MDC Shays to convert - one 2 and one 3 truck) I am really excited about the upcoming Climax.

My logging area will be a ten or so foot shadow-box type shelf above a section of my existing layout, and I hope to be running trains along this section once the Climax comes out.

I do, however, have a Porter, and I love it. It runs smoothly, quietly, and is so CUTE!! - Sorry to use that word, but it is. If I had the guts, I'd pick up another one and bash some sort of logging 0-4-4-0...boy, that would really be neat.

Lighthorseman
Section Hand

Posted - 05/13/2004 :  11:09:28 AM  Show Profile
I'll also be eyeing this thread with interest. Although I don't need a Shay, ( I have 2 MDC Shays to convert - one 2 and one 3 truck) I am really excited about the upcoming Climax.

My logging area will be a ten or so foot shadow-box type shelf above a section of my existing layout, and I hope to be running trains along this section once the Climax comes out.

I do, however, have a Porter, and I love it. It runs smoothly, quietly, and is so CUTE!! - Sorry to use that word, but it is. If I had the guts, I'd pick up another one and bash some sort of logging 0-4-4-0...boy, that would really be neat.

inspecbri
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/13/2004 :  12:15:45 PM  Show Profile
The Brass details for the Shay: Go to On30 manufactures and click on The Back Shop. They have a few nice pieces.

Brian

inspecbri
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/13/2004 :  12:15:45 PM  Show Profile
The Brass details for the Shay: Go to On30 manufactures and click on The Back Shop. They have a few nice pieces.

Brian

Lighthorseman
Section Hand

Posted - 05/13/2004 :  3:43:16 PM  Show Profile
Just had a look through a back issue of the Gazette, and there is a Backwoods Miniatures ad for a B-Mann Shay dress-up kit, which includes lots of stuff - including a Gypsy engine.

Web address is www.backwoods.dabsol.co.uk

By the way, here is my Porter.

Lighthorseman
Section Hand

Posted - 05/13/2004 :  3:43:16 PM  Show Profile
Just had a look through a back issue of the Gazette, and there is a Backwoods Miniatures ad for a B-Mann Shay dress-up kit, which includes lots of stuff - including a Gypsy engine.

Web address is www.backwoods.dabsol.co.uk

By the way, here is my Porter.

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 05/13/2004 :  5:04:23 PM  Show Profile
Barry,
Thanks for the info. I may look into it. I bought one of Mario's earlier CDs & I do not remember anything about aluminum framing on it. I will have to look again when I get home.

Steve,
I like your Porter. I have one on my wish list.

I saw the add from Backwoods Miniatures & it does dress up a Shay.

Paul

Edited by - paulbrockatsf on 05/13/2004 5:05:19 PM

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 05/13/2004 :  5:04:23 PM  Show Profile
Barry,
Thanks for the info. I may look into it. I bought one of Mario's earlier CDs & I do not remember anything about aluminum framing on it. I will have to look again when I get home.

Steve,
I like your Porter. I have one on my wish list.

I saw the add from Backwoods Miniatures & it does dress up a Shay.

Paul

Edited by - paulbrockatsf on 05/13/2004 5:05:19 PM

Sodbuster
Fireman

Posted - 05/13/2004 :  6:11:47 PM  Show Profile
bpate, Are you going with the chuff cam on the sound traxx unit or are you going with the auto chuff? The wheel sets can easily be tweeked and same as with its side frames. I have the same set up as you have , I tried the cuff cam but ended up going with the auto cuff slowed just a touch. assembly is rather easy but the shay doesnt have a whole lot of room under the tender shell and its a fairly snug fit on my shay. wires gads! Let us know! Iam eager to hear your results. I think you will enjoy the end results.

Sodbuster
Fireman

Posted - 05/13/2004 :  6:11:47 PM  Show Profile
bpate, Are you going with the chuff cam on the sound traxx unit or are you going with the auto chuff? The wheel sets can easily be tweeked and same as with its side frames. I have the same set up as you have , I tried the cuff cam but ended up going with the auto cuff slowed just a touch. assembly is rather easy but the shay doesnt have a whole lot of room under the tender shell and its a fairly snug fit on my shay. wires gads! Let us know! Iam eager to hear your results. I think you will enjoy the end results.

bpate
Fireman

Posted - 05/14/2004 :  07:26:15 AM  Show Profile
I have briefly run my Shay on DC and it is a fine machine but I miss the sound I have got used to with my HO 3 truck Shay. However the soundtraxx decoder installation is not as simple as I was led to believe by the advertising. I am studying the manual before attempting the decoder installation.

Bob, I think I will go with auto chuff, at least for the time being.

Like the HO scale 3-truck Shay, this On30 has excellent detailing.

bpate
Fireman

Posted - 05/14/2004 :  07:26:15 AM  Show Profile
I have briefly run my Shay on DC and it is a fine machine but I miss the sound I have got used to with my HO 3 truck Shay. However the soundtraxx decoder installation is not as simple as I was led to believe by the advertising. I am studying the manual before attempting the decoder installation.

Bob, I think I will go with auto chuff, at least for the time being.

Like the HO scale 3-truck Shay, this On30 has excellent detailing.

Page: of 8 Previous Topic: Jerky Shay Topic Next Topic: 2 level layout with helix  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000