Railroad Line Forums - Bachmann Spectrum On30 Shay
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 139 ]  [ Total: 139 ]  [ Newest Member: colind ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Bachmann Spectrum On30 Shay
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Jerky Shay Topic Next Topic: 2 level layout with helix
Page: of 8

bpate
Fireman

Posted - 05/12/2004 :  7:24:55 PM  Show Profile
Paul's asked about the On30 Shay. As mine has just arrived I thought I would take a couple of pictures of it straight out of the box and over the next few days work up a review.

It comes well packaged. A little care is needed removing it from the packaging as it has some excellent detail parts.

You will notice I have a Soundtraxx decoder to fit as well. I am going to read the instructions before attempting to fit the decoder, especially at it will be my first sound decoder installation as my HO Shay sound decoder came already installed.

Two more photos, straight out of the box, sitting on a section of HO track. It feels heavy and solid and the detail looks superb.

I will run it, pre-decoder fitting, this evening after work.

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 05/12/2004 :  8:03:00 PM  Show Profile
Very nice Barry . I'm happy to see that you are joining the ON30 crowd ...think we'll all have some fun here with this diverse group of crazies . If you dare , check out the Backwoods website for modification kits for your new lokie . So, mate , is there a diorama in your future ?

TERRY

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 05/12/2004 :  8:03:00 PM  Show Profile
Very nice Barry . I'm happy to see that you are joining the ON30 crowd ...think we'll all have some fun here with this diverse group of crazies . If you dare , check out the Backwoods website for modification kits for your new lokie . So, mate , is there a diorama in your future ?

TERRY

inspecbri
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/12/2004 :  9:28:00 PM  Show Profile
Barry, Thanks for posting the Shay photo. This is a love affair in the making. I am making room for a On30 small shelf layouy on my HO room....a kinda display/diorama type of thing.

This new forum is going to terrific. All kinds of new stuff being posted already.

Thanks, Barry

Brian

inspecbri
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/12/2004 :  9:28:00 PM  Show Profile
Barry, Thanks for posting the Shay photo. This is a love affair in the making. I am making room for a On30 small shelf layouy on my HO room....a kinda display/diorama type of thing.

This new forum is going to terrific. All kinds of new stuff being posted already.

Thanks, Barry

Brian

bpate
Fireman

Posted - 05/12/2004 :  9:52:18 PM  Show Profile
Terry, Brian,

It took a while and I resisted but acceptance of the inevitable was just a matter of time.

I'm actually designing a set of dioramas that should end up covering about 15 or so 2' x 4' modules. I already have 3 modules built ready for track and scenery and will work those up over the next six months or so.

As it is a seperate double decker, I will have an On30 layout at about 1250mm and a HO layout at 650mm from the floor. Hence the On30 will most likely predominate.

I'll replace these quick photso with better ones later.

bpate
Fireman

Posted - 05/12/2004 :  9:52:18 PM  Show Profile
Terry, Brian,

It took a while and I resisted but acceptance of the inevitable was just a matter of time.

I'm actually designing a set of dioramas that should end up covering about 15 or so 2' x 4' modules. I already have 3 modules built ready for track and scenery and will work those up over the next six months or so.

As it is a seperate double decker, I will have an On30 layout at about 1250mm and a HO layout at 650mm from the floor. Hence the On30 will most likely predominate.

I'll replace these quick photso with better ones later.

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 05/12/2004 :  11:05:13 PM  Show Profile
Barry , a superb choice of locos I think .I eyeballed that and a Porter and liked BOTH . Whats not to like with all the character they have .And yours is RTR while I have to build mine .
Looks like you'll be rolling in no time . I'm looking forward to see what is in store with your modules .

TERRY

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 05/12/2004 :  11:05:13 PM  Show Profile
Barry , a superb choice of locos I think .I eyeballed that and a Porter and liked BOTH . Whats not to like with all the character they have .And yours is RTR while I have to build mine .
Looks like you'll be rolling in no time . I'm looking forward to see what is in store with your modules .

TERRY

inspecbri
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/12/2004 :  11:20:43 PM  Show Profile
Guys,
In the future, I plan to have two shays and at least one porter. Backwoods Miniatures makes an open cab with a tractor seat that is absolutely beautiful for the Shay. Banta makes the wood cabs and they are really beautiful. Another company makes some real nice brass casting details...whistles, bells, stacks...etc. I'll find the name and post it. Lots of goodies to dress up the Shays with.

Brian

inspecbri
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/12/2004 :  11:20:43 PM  Show Profile
Guys,
In the future, I plan to have two shays and at least one porter. Backwoods Miniatures makes an open cab with a tractor seat that is absolutely beautiful for the Shay. Banta makes the wood cabs and they are really beautiful. Another company makes some real nice brass casting details...whistles, bells, stacks...etc. I'll find the name and post it. Lots of goodies to dress up the Shays with.

Brian

bpate
Fireman

Posted - 05/13/2004 :  12:05:04 AM  Show Profile
I've checked out Backwoods and they have some interesting stuff and agree about the tractor seat Brian. I will get to know my new Shay a little before any modifications but will enjoy doing some careful changes. One I was thinking of is adding some extra wire mess caging above the wood supply and certainly adding the tractor seat. I am not sure about changing the cab as it looks so good as is.

bpate
Fireman

Posted - 05/13/2004 :  12:05:04 AM  Show Profile
I've checked out Backwoods and they have some interesting stuff and agree about the tractor seat Brian. I will get to know my new Shay a little before any modifications but will enjoy doing some careful changes. One I was thinking of is adding some extra wire mess caging above the wood supply and certainly adding the tractor seat. I am not sure about changing the cab as it looks so good as is.

NickO
Fireman

Posted - 05/13/2004 :  03:19:56 AM  Show Profile

Barry,I told you resistance was useless and I'm glad you have accepted the inevitable.What sort of money did you pay for it?I,m interested in comparing prices;I've seen it on sale over here for about £130.
I think I'm going to restrict myself to a Porter and a Gas Mechanical(with a Backwoods dress up kit)and a Boulder Valley critter or two,for the time being.Can't justify more at the minute.

Bri,ask Barry about using aluminium tubing for benchwork instead of wood.That is going to be the next big thing.
You should also be contacting Mario,and getting him to send one of his CDs to you.That'll keep you raving on for a bit longer.I think actually there is someone in the States who ships them for him,but you'll have to check with him.This CD has 100s of photos that are of interest to O Scalers.

NickO

NickO
Fireman

Posted - 05/13/2004 :  03:19:56 AM  Show Profile

Barry,I told you resistance was useless and I'm glad you have accepted the inevitable.What sort of money did you pay for it?I,m interested in comparing prices;I've seen it on sale over here for about £130.
I think I'm going to restrict myself to a Porter and a Gas Mechanical(with a Backwoods dress up kit)and a Boulder Valley critter or two,for the time being.Can't justify more at the minute.

Bri,ask Barry about using aluminium tubing for benchwork instead of wood.That is going to be the next big thing.
You should also be contacting Mario,and getting him to send one of his CDs to you.That'll keep you raving on for a bit longer.I think actually there is someone in the States who ships them for him,but you'll have to check with him.This CD has 100s of photos that are of interest to O Scalers.

NickO

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 05/13/2004 :  04:14:32 AM  Show Profile

Barry,
Thank you for the review of your Shay. I am looking forward to your future posts. I would like to buy a Shay & a porter. I wouldn’t mind getting the gas mechanical Nick is talking about.

I read on one of the other forums saying that you are going to use aluminum for your modules. Where could I get more info on that? Are your modules for shows or just home use?

Nick
I agree, I would definitely want the upgrade kit. Backwoods Miniatures has some nice items. I am glad I can finally use some of them.

Paul

Page: of 8 Previous Topic: Jerky Shay Topic Next Topic: 2 level layout with helix  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000