Railroad Line Forums - On30 Turnout Kitbash
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 72 ]  [ Total: 75 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Classroom
 On30 Turnout Kitbash
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Building a Jordan Vehicle, Part 3, by Ken Marken Topic Next Topic: Foss Landing Construction Project  

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/24/2004 :  09:58:26 AM  Show Profile
Moderator's Note: The following tutorial was originally posted by Lighthorseman in the Logging and Narrow Gauge Forum.

Here is a link to the original, unlocked topic
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5727

As requested by Mike C., here is a step-by-step pictorial of how I convert Atlas HO code 83 turnouts to On30. (Sorry that it took so long to get to, Mike.)

I went this route for two reasons.

One - The Peco On30 track is lovely, but I wanted code 83 rail, not code 100. Also, the ties are just too "perfect" for the backwoodsy feel I'm trying to get.

Two - I had loads of code 83 track and turnouts, and being a cheap fella, I wanted to use that up.

So, off we go.

Step 1 - Here are what I started with; rather than laboriously identify each item, I'll just include what I used in the picture.

Step 2 - I stripped some of the ties from the turnout, keeping some at the end to keep the rail roughly in gauge.

Step 3 - I flipped the turnout upside-down, and applied "Pliobond" glue to the bottom of the rails, being very careful not to glue the moving rails. (Points? Slidey-things??)

Step 4 - Back over goes the turnout, and ties are placed underneath. The Pliobond holds them in place, although not too well, but enough to start spiking.

Step 5 - Now it's time to start spiking. I use a small pair of pliers, although I've heard of spiking tools. (?) While spiking, it's important to keep the rails in gauge. I use the NMRA standards gauge, and for funsies, run a wheelset along the rail.

Step 5a - ......"Ow!"
Then, it's time to trim around the frog. Remember...X-Acto knives are sharp . Ouch. This is NOT how you stain the ties.

Step 6 - Sorry 'bout that. Now, the frog has been trimmed, and I do not try to file the bottom of the frog down to the level of the rail; rather, I notch the ties under it. Here they are, all fitted in, ready for spiking.

Step 7 - Well, we're getting there. The last HO ties have been removed, and the new ties spiked down.

Step 8 - Here are the before and after turnouts.

Step 9 - Now that it's been built at the "workbench" (kitchen table), it's time to install the thing on the layout. Here it is, glued down.

Step 9a - Once the glue had dried, it was time for my favourite part. The test run. Here it is.

The End...Then, all that's needed is a switchstand, a little ballast, and voila! A kitbashed On30 turnout.

Previous Topic: Building a Jordan Vehicle, Part 3, by Ken Marken Topic Next Topic: Foss Landing Construction Project  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000