Railroad Line Forums - THE GALLERY: November, 2003: Cabeese!
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 258 ]  [ Total: 259 ]  [ Newest Member: SandersReview ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 THE GALLERY: November, 2003: Cabeese!
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: The latest re-paint completed Topic Next Topic: Fresh from the paint booth.
Page: of 5

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/03/2003 :  10:31:35 PM  Show Profile
I've shown you pictures before from Three Bridges, NJ where the NS interchanges with the Black River & Western RR. I have seen the NS drop off cars many times, but one time last January, when the temps were in the single digits, I saw they had a caboose on the train. (Refuge for the crew?) That is the first and only time I saw this. Note that although the caboose was at the end of the train, they still had a red flag mounted on the coupler. I've seen other NS trains running during the day with the red flag at the end--maybe a company policy or federal rule?

Bruce

Bruce

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/03/2003 :  10:31:35 PM  Show Profile
I've shown you pictures before from Three Bridges, NJ where the NS interchanges with the Black River & Western RR. I have seen the NS drop off cars many times, but one time last January, when the temps were in the single digits, I saw they had a caboose on the train. (Refuge for the crew?) That is the first and only time I saw this. Note that although the caboose was at the end of the train, they still had a red flag mounted on the coupler. I've seen other NS trains running during the day with the red flag at the end--maybe a company policy or federal rule?

Bruce

Bruce

Chessie1973
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/05/2003 :  12:01:54 AM  Show Profile
I am almost ashamed to post my pics here after seeing all the fantastic work done by the members here.

Here are my two feeble attempts at making cheap rolling stock look better.

A Bachmann $3.75 Caboose.

And a Life like from an old Toy train set from my youth.

Chessie1973
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/05/2003 :  12:01:54 AM  Show Profile
I am almost ashamed to post my pics here after seeing all the fantastic work done by the members here.

Here are my two feeble attempts at making cheap rolling stock look better.

A Bachmann $3.75 Caboose.

And a Life like from an old Toy train set from my youth.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/05/2003 :  6:24:38 PM  Show Profile
Reading Allen's comments about rolling stock that has personal meaning, sent me to the layout to take this picture. Sometime around eighth or ninth grade, we had a Varney dockside "Little Joe" switcher and a few cars set up under the Christmas tree. Those were before the days of mini-lights, and the lights on the tree gave off quite a bit of heat. One day, the Varney Caboose was parked too close to a low hanging light, and it melted the caboose's cupola quite severely. It ended up in the attic packed away with the other HO equipment until a few years ago when I dug it all out to get back in the hobby. When I came across the Varney Caboose, I just couldn't throw it out. One day, in my travels, I came across some wooden roofs designed for HO rolling stock. I picked up a few and found that the smallest would fit on the caboose with just a little trimming. This was my first "kitbash" attempt. I took razor saw in hand and cut off the old roof and cupola, filed it square, and installed the new roof, sans cupola. I decided that the management of the Susquehanna took a caboose that had been in an accident, and fixed it up for "maintenance of way" service. Well, it isn't the greatest, but it reminds me of my youth. What can I say.

Bruce

Bruce

Edited by - Dutchman on 11/05/2003 10:04:04 PM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/05/2003 :  6:24:38 PM  Show Profile
Reading Allen's comments about rolling stock that has personal meaning, sent me to the layout to take this picture. Sometime around eighth or ninth grade, we had a Varney dockside "Little Joe" switcher and a few cars set up under the Christmas tree. Those were before the days of mini-lights, and the lights on the tree gave off quite a bit of heat. One day, the Varney Caboose was parked too close to a low hanging light, and it melted the caboose's cupola quite severely. It ended up in the attic packed away with the other HO equipment until a few years ago when I dug it all out to get back in the hobby. When I came across the Varney Caboose, I just couldn't throw it out. One day, in my travels, I came across some wooden roofs designed for HO rolling stock. I picked up a few and found that the smallest would fit on the caboose with just a little trimming. This was my first "kitbash" attempt. I took razor saw in hand and cut off the old roof and cupola, filed it square, and installed the new roof, sans cupola. I decided that the management of the Susquehanna took a caboose that had been in an accident, and fixed it up for "maintenance of way" service. Well, it isn't the greatest, but it reminds me of my youth. What can I say.

Bruce

Bruce

Edited by - Dutchman on 11/05/2003 10:04:04 PM

TomPM
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/05/2003 :  11:24:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit TomPM's Homepage  Send TomPM a Yahoo! Message
Great cabooses folks.

Hey Chuck I love your Lehigh Valley cabooses. Bruce I always enjoy seeing your SusieQ caboose like the Erie one too. NVTiny those are some nice models. William that is a cool caboose you have there. Randall good job on your cabooses.

Here is one of mine. It is a Mantua caboose that started out as a Radio Control caboose. I stripped it and repainted it. I then used some leftover decals and created a Lehigh & New England caboose.

Tom
Jack of All Trades Master of None
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
NARA Member #100

Edited by - TomPM on 11/05/2003 11:25:38 PM

TomPM
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/05/2003 :  11:24:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit TomPM's Homepage  Send TomPM a Yahoo! Message
Great cabooses folks.

Hey Chuck I love your Lehigh Valley cabooses. Bruce I always enjoy seeing your SusieQ caboose like the Erie one too. NVTiny those are some nice models. William that is a cool caboose you have there. Randall good job on your cabooses.

Here is one of mine. It is a Mantua caboose that started out as a Radio Control caboose. I stripped it and repainted it. I then used some leftover decals and created a Lehigh & New England caboose.

Tom
Jack of All Trades Master of None
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
NARA Member #100

Edited by - TomPM on 11/05/2003 11:25:38 PM

railcodger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/07/2003 :  09:15:41 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Your photos can be prototype or model and of any scene, but each photo must have a caboose somewhere in it.

Somewhere in this traffic jam there are three cabeese, nothing special about them - just a reason to post another photo. The fascia is only temporary to prevent any catastrophic events and will become part of the landscape one of these days.

william

railcodger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/07/2003 :  09:15:41 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Your photos can be prototype or model and of any scene, but each photo must have a caboose somewhere in it.

Somewhere in this traffic jam there are three cabeese, nothing special about them - just a reason to post another photo. The fascia is only temporary to prevent any catastrophic events and will become part of the landscape one of these days.

william

Arcane
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/07/2003 :  5:50:25 PM  Show Profile
Here's an old shot of my cabeese rolling by old town.

The soft foreground is why I'm not using f:22 any more :-)

Len

Arcane
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/07/2003 :  5:50:25 PM  Show Profile
Here's an old shot of my cabeese rolling by old town.

The soft foreground is why I'm not using f:22 any more :-)

Len

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/07/2003 :  9:16:29 PM  Show Profile
Well, depending upon your point of view, this old, retired MoPac caboose either has been done a disservice or has been restored to a well-deserved dignity and beauty.

It sits at one of the entrances to the State Fairgrounds in Sedalia, Mo., and serves as the "Sedalia Tourist Information Center." And at this point in the caboose's life, the central air unit on the ground and OSHA-inspired additions are not options.

The irony is that Sedalia was a "Katy" town, and right across the street from the caboose is Kehdee's B-B-Q, complete with an attached M-K-T dining car for patrons and lots of Katy memorabilia scattered throughout the restaurant.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/07/2003 :  9:16:29 PM  Show Profile
Well, depending upon your point of view, this old, retired MoPac caboose either has been done a disservice or has been restored to a well-deserved dignity and beauty.

It sits at one of the entrances to the State Fairgrounds in Sedalia, Mo., and serves as the "Sedalia Tourist Information Center." And at this point in the caboose's life, the central air unit on the ground and OSHA-inspired additions are not options.

The irony is that Sedalia was a "Katy" town, and right across the street from the caboose is Kehdee's B-B-Q, complete with an attached M-K-T dining car for patrons and lots of Katy memorabilia scattered throughout the restaurant.

anbhurst

Premium Member

Posted - 11/08/2003 :  7:49:21 PM  Show Profile
Two years ago, I was looking for something to trail my NW GP38 engine. I couldn't wait for Atlas to come out with a model of a prototype N&W caboose, so I decided to buy a cupola kit and change this SSW Cotten Belt into what I could not find. If you look closely at the second picture, you can see the area which contained 'COTTON BELT' that was airbrushed out. I also added a light. This was my first attempt at taking pictures, so you will have to pardon their quality.

Allen

Allen
Modeling the East in the West on the Northeastern Pacific RIM, Oregon, that is!

Page: of 5 Previous Topic: The latest re-paint completed Topic Next Topic: Fresh from the paint booth.  
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000