Railroad Line Forums - SPRINGWATER TRAIL OPENING CELEBRATION
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 92 ]  [ Total: 95 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 SPRINGWATER TRAIL OPENING CELEBRATION
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: THE GALLERY: August 2003 Topic Next Topic: CPENs latest loco acquisition  

anbhurst

Premium Member

Posted - 08/28/2003 :  9:38:26 PM  Show Profile
These pictures were taken at the end of June here in Portlandland. Both the SP&S #700 and the SP #4449 (American Freedom Colors)were used to run excursions between OMSI (Oregon Museum of Science and Industry) and Oaks Park in Sellwood, Oregon. The first is the firing of the #700 and the second shows the #4449 just before passing under the Ross Island Bridge (Powell Blvd).

First:

Second:

Here's 2 more, one of #700 warming up and one of #4449 leaving OMSI:

SP&S #700 is currently parked in the roundhouse at Brooklyn Yard and SP #4449 is making a show at the State Fair in Salem.

ADDITION:

Thought you might like to see a couple of the #700 crew who make it happen! By the way, a gal (out of the picture) is on the forklift driving the tube into place.

Allen
Modeling the East in the West on the Northeastern Pacific RIM, Oregon, that is!

Edited by - anbhurst on 09/06/2003 01:24:41 AM

anbhurst

Premium Member

Posted - 08/29/2003 :  2:02:08 PM  Show Profile
Dunno why this didn't make the active list?

Allen

anbhurst

Premium Member

Posted - 08/29/2003 :  2:02:08 PM  Show Profile
Dunno why this didn't make the active list?

Allen

MP Rich
Fireman

Posted - 08/29/2003 :  5:56:17 PM  Show Profile
Congrats on finding steam still running. I had passed over this item as from the title I assumed it was yet another rails to trails event. Not that I am against the trails but looking a photos of the event was not enough to stir my interest. I assume that you mean the past June and not in the far past? What are you referring to when you mentioned the Springwater Trail opening? I have to assume the railroads in your area are far more agreeable with running steam than they are in the center of the country. Finding a line to run steam on is becoming a real problem here.

MP Rich
Fireman

Posted - 08/29/2003 :  5:56:17 PM  Show Profile
Congrats on finding steam still running. I had passed over this item as from the title I assumed it was yet another rails to trails event. Not that I am against the trails but looking a photos of the event was not enough to stir my interest. I assume that you mean the past June and not in the far past? What are you referring to when you mentioned the Springwater Trail opening? I have to assume the railroads in your area are far more agreeable with running steam than they are in the center of the country. Finding a line to run steam on is becoming a real problem here.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/29/2003 :  6:55:32 PM  Show Profile
Very nice photos, Allen. I particularly like the first one. It's a good camera angle that really points up just how massive that loco is.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/29/2003 :  6:55:32 PM  Show Profile
Very nice photos, Allen. I particularly like the first one. It's a good camera angle that really points up just how massive that loco is.

anbhurst

Premium Member

Posted - 08/30/2003 :  12:02:01 AM  Show Profile
MP,

Thanks for reminding me that I left out some important information. As you may know, the #4449 is owned by the City of Portland and the #700 by its Historical Society. Yes, you are right; it is getting hard to find runable track for steam, but the main reason at this point is that liability insurance rates have sharply increased. I'm afraid that the running of steam on mainlines will have to be postponed until these issues are solved.

Dick Samuels, owner and operator of the OREGON PACIFIC RAILROAD, graciously hosted these excursions on his right-of-way from OMSI to Oaks Park from June 27th through 29th of this year. His right-of-way interchanges with UP at OMSI and travels Southward to his Milwaukie Yard and vendors. One of his lines runs between Canby and Molalla. Over the years, he has successfully ran lumber and grain on that route. This year, his lumber contract was undermined by UP, now forcing him to close that line. Sometime in 2004, the tracks will be removed. It's ashamed! Another short line will bite the dust. Dick has proven himself to be a friend to both rail-fanners and modelers alike. We will miss seeing his operation there.

The new SPRINGWATER TRAIL lays adjacent to the OPRR right-of-way from OMSI to Sellwood, and it will provide a route for bicyclists and pedestrians. No track to trail here! If you will take a close look at the second picture, you will observe that the trail (asphalt) runs on the engineer's side of the rails. There is a cyclone fence between the rails and the trail. However, the old EAST PORTLAND TRACTION right-of-way from Sellwood, East to Greshem (also know at the SPRINGWATER TRAIL), rests on the path of removed tracks.

I hope this brings clarity and answers your questions. I have some other pictures of this event, but I don't know which ones I should upload and I do want to share the Photo Forum with others. Thanks,

Allen

anbhurst

Premium Member

Posted - 08/30/2003 :  12:02:01 AM  Show Profile
MP,

Thanks for reminding me that I left out some important information. As you may know, the #4449 is owned by the City of Portland and the #700 by its Historical Society. Yes, you are right; it is getting hard to find runable track for steam, but the main reason at this point is that liability insurance rates have sharply increased. I'm afraid that the running of steam on mainlines will have to be postponed until these issues are solved.

Dick Samuels, owner and operator of the OREGON PACIFIC RAILROAD, graciously hosted these excursions on his right-of-way from OMSI to Oaks Park from June 27th through 29th of this year. His right-of-way interchanges with UP at OMSI and travels Southward to his Milwaukie Yard and vendors. One of his lines runs between Canby and Molalla. Over the years, he has successfully ran lumber and grain on that route. This year, his lumber contract was undermined by UP, now forcing him to close that line. Sometime in 2004, the tracks will be removed. It's ashamed! Another short line will bite the dust. Dick has proven himself to be a friend to both rail-fanners and modelers alike. We will miss seeing his operation there.

The new SPRINGWATER TRAIL lays adjacent to the OPRR right-of-way from OMSI to Sellwood, and it will provide a route for bicyclists and pedestrians. No track to trail here! If you will take a close look at the second picture, you will observe that the trail (asphalt) runs on the engineer's side of the rails. There is a cyclone fence between the rails and the trail. However, the old EAST PORTLAND TRACTION right-of-way from Sellwood, East to Greshem (also know at the SPRINGWATER TRAIL), rests on the path of removed tracks.

I hope this brings clarity and answers your questions. I have some other pictures of this event, but I don't know which ones I should upload and I do want to share the Photo Forum with others. Thanks,

Allen

Previous Topic: THE GALLERY: August 2003 Topic Next Topic: CPENs latest loco acquisition  
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000