Railroad Line Forums - The latest re-paint completed
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 90 ]  [ Total: 94 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 The latest re-paint completed
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Luv those Switchers ! Topic Next Topic: THE GALLERY: November, 2003: Cabeese!  

R.Geiter
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/19/2003 :  12:11:17 AM  Show Profile
I decided to repaint my Atlas C30-7.(NS) Sure the Atlas factory job was OK, but I thought that it could be just a little better. I kept the same number for this loco, so I could save a little time by not having have to do number boards. I also added a few extras that make these locos unique to NS. First was the all weather cab window then the knuckle box/ tool box and 2 fire cracker antennas. A snow plow, mu cables, correct horns and an air hose were also added. I also added a real chain for the hand brake, similar to what Atlas did with the B40's. For the hand brake, I cut off the "tube" that the chain is suppose to go through and added a real one. Then I fished the chain through it an connected it to the truck. Now, the NW/NS C30-7's had an extra brake cylinder on each side of each truck. I wasn't able to find the correct side frames for this loco yet, so pretend you don't see it.

Enjoy!
Bob

anbhurst

Premium Member

Posted - 08/19/2003 :  02:59:54 AM  Show Profile
Bob,

Great job! I am in the midst of converting an Illinois Central Gulf unit (ALCO C630) into a Norfolk & Western one. It is sort of strange that TYCO failed to manufacture its C630 high-short-hood into a road for which there was a prototype. The two roads for which there were actual prototypes, they did not model . So I am attempting to turn the unreal into the real .

Do you have any N&W engines, or are they outside the era you have chosen to model What did you use (manufacture & color of paint) for black, and also, what did you use for your lower shell and trucks for weathering I hope my engine turns out as well as your's did.

I sure like the new NS logo on the long hoods! Who knows, maybe I'll extend my era to include it.

Allen
Modeling the East in the West on the Northeastern Pacific RIM, Oregon, that is!

anbhurst

Premium Member

Posted - 08/19/2003 :  02:59:54 AM  Show Profile
Bob,

Great job! I am in the midst of converting an Illinois Central Gulf unit (ALCO C630) into a Norfolk & Western one. It is sort of strange that TYCO failed to manufacture its C630 high-short-hood into a road for which there was a prototype. The two roads for which there were actual prototypes, they did not model . So I am attempting to turn the unreal into the real .

Do you have any N&W engines, or are they outside the era you have chosen to model What did you use (manufacture & color of paint) for black, and also, what did you use for your lower shell and trucks for weathering I hope my engine turns out as well as your's did.

I sure like the new NS logo on the long hoods! Who knows, maybe I'll extend my era to include it.

Allen

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/19/2003 :  10:59:45 AM  Show Profile
Bob, you do really excellent work with your diesels! Every time I see your photos, I get the urge to go buy a diesel and try my hand at detailing one.

Very nice and very realistic!

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/19/2003 :  10:59:45 AM  Show Profile
Bob, you do really excellent work with your diesels! Every time I see your photos, I get the urge to go buy a diesel and try my hand at detailing one.

Very nice and very realistic!

R.Geiter
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/23/2003 :  3:08:35 PM  Show Profile
anbhurst,

Sorry, but no N&W locos in my fleet. I model the 90's. As for the black that I used on the C30, I opted to use the Modelflex gloss black. I then added the appropriate NS Microscale decals, then dull coated the entire loco with Pollyscale flat finish. The weathering is done by air brushing grimy black onto the shell. No chalks or anything of the sort was used. To get the desired weathered effect takes a little practice. Not all of my weathered locos look as nice as I would want them. It's all trial and error.

R.Geiter
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/23/2003 :  3:08:35 PM  Show Profile
anbhurst,

Sorry, but no N&W locos in my fleet. I model the 90's. As for the black that I used on the C30, I opted to use the Modelflex gloss black. I then added the appropriate NS Microscale decals, then dull coated the entire loco with Pollyscale flat finish. The weathering is done by air brushing grimy black onto the shell. No chalks or anything of the sort was used. To get the desired weathered effect takes a little practice. Not all of my weathered locos look as nice as I would want them. It's all trial and error.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2003 :  5:17:16 PM  Show Profile
Very nice!

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2003 :  5:17:16 PM  Show Profile
Very nice!

anbhurst

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2003 :  8:43:43 PM  Show Profile
Bob,

Thanks for your response. Looks like I will have to do some experimenting myself.

Allen

anbhurst

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2003 :  8:43:43 PM  Show Profile
Bob,

Thanks for your response. Looks like I will have to do some experimenting myself.

Allen

bpate
Fireman

Posted - 12/09/2003 :  10:21:54 AM  Show Profile
Nice detailing work on that diesel Bob.

bpate
Fireman

Posted - 12/09/2003 :  10:21:54 AM  Show Profile
Nice detailing work on that diesel Bob.

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

Posted - 12/09/2003 :  4:20:29 PM  Show Profile
Great work, Bob. It's a realy "black beauty".

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

Posted - 12/09/2003 :  4:20:29 PM  Show Profile
Great work, Bob. It's a realy "black beauty".

Previous Topic: Luv those Switchers ! Topic Next Topic: THE GALLERY: November, 2003: Cabeese!  
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000