Railroad Line Forums - MORE OPERATION SIG STARTING TID-BITS
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 252 ]  [ Total: 256 ]  [ Newest Member: wandering rr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Layout Design / Operation Sig Forum
 MORE OPERATION SIG STARTING TID-BITS
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Getting started on layout design Topic Next Topic: ATTN: Layout design/track planning gurus!
Page: of 5

brakie
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/23/2002 :  09:48:42 AM  Show Profile
As far as saw bys most dispatchers would do their up most to avoid them.You see all that work would tie up the track.It would be better to hold one of those trains at a siding that it would fit.I under stand this was once a common thing in the early years of railroading.But,it could have sad results-look at the wreck that claim the life of one John Luther(Casey) Jones in Vaughan,Miss in 1900.This wreck was the result of a saw by and speed on engineer Jones' part.

brakie

billk
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/23/2002 :  09:55:16 AM  Show Profile
On a model railroad an occasional saw-by would add a little operating variety. Also, it would lengthen the time for a train to get from here to there, when usually on a model railroad here and there are much close to each other to be prototypical.

A similar idea to lengthen travel time would be to have a "shoo-fly" (I think that's the name), a temporary track to by-pass work being done on the permanent track. The speed of the train would be severly restricted over the shoo-fly, almost down to a crawl. Of course, on a model RR, temporary could very well be a permanent thing.

Is your glass half empty or half full .. or just too big?

brakie
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/23/2002 :  11:15:53 AM  Show Profile
BillK,That is the name A Shoo Fly.Another thing to remember while using a shoo fly is to do so with a speed restriction in mind.Perhaps 10 mph? As there will be track maintance,wreck crews and the ever present superintendents at the site.

brakie

mosslake
Fireman

Posted - 04/23/2002 :  7:43:21 PM  Show Profile
You're right Brakie, a saw-by is a headache. Not something I'd want to do regularly.
billk brought up a topic not yet mentioned, speed restrictions.
They could be applied anywhere and not on a obvious feature. Restrictions on bridges and culverts are obvious, but terrain can affect speed as well.
Just north of where I live a coal branch running beside a river is restricted due to the crumbly nature of the sandstone cliffs above the line. Higher train speed creates vibrations which can result in up to 6' diameter rocks coming down.
Rainfall requires the speedlimit to be further reduced, and if it rains over 8 hours (not continously)then the MOW hi-rail must patrol ahead of each train.

Russ
Moss Lake Lumber Co.

billk
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/24/2002 :  12:33:00 AM  Show Profile
You could get really creative with restricted speed zones and add a bit of history and local color to your layout as well - how about a Bigfoot crossing? Or the tracks go by the RR owner's mansion and he likes to watch them pass by slowly? Or....?

Is your glass half empty or half full .. or just too big?

rockislandmike
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/24/2002 :  10:46:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit rockislandmike's Homepage
Not only speed restrictions, but the lack of them as well - one of the random events I've created that *could* happen is that the President of the railroad rides a train - no speed limits apply, and the train gets top priority over all others.

Got the idea from somebody at the Y! ops group.

rockislandmike
http://www.heatherandmichael.com/recklessandveiled/

brakie
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/24/2002 :  11:04:17 AM  Show Profile
Great idea,having the roads president on the road!Every crew,superindent,track gang,would "find" work to do.I can see a yard master having the crew to pull cars out of one track and put them on another when the big bosses train comes through!the ds would be sure to keep the bosses train rolling right along!

brakie

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/24/2002 :  11:32:12 AM  Show Profile
Speaking of presidents, here's one to possibly toss into the mix during presidential campaign years: Julius J. Tubthumper, the Democratic nominee, has decided to do a Harry Truman Whistle Stop campaign. Because of security concerns, the Secret Service is demanding the following restrictions.... (you guys fill in the rest )

Mike Chambers, General Supt.
Central Missouri & Southern RR Co.
Osage Valley Tie & Lmbr Co.
http://homepage.mac.com/michael21

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/25/2002 :  9:37:09 PM  Show Profile
Well..... nothin' like the threat of a dammed politician puttin' restrictions on people an' everthing to shut down conversation right quick....

Mike Chambers, General Supt.
Central Missouri & Southern RR Co.
Osage Valley Tie & Lmbr Co.
http://homepage.mac.com/michael21

mosslake
Fireman

Posted - 04/26/2002 :  8:17:08 PM  Show Profile
they have that effect everywhere!!

Russ
Moss Lake Lumber Co.

mosslake
Fireman

Posted - 04/26/2002 :  8:42:40 PM  Show Profile
Another matter for consideration by this august group;

It is safe to assume that we all use KD couplers and the various derivitives on the market these days, but what about un-coupling ??
While the KD magnets offer hands-free operation, what about manual uncoupling? Many use the old reliable 0-5-0/jack-up-the-car-end method or one of the uncoupling tools on the market today. What about the home made types? Lionel Strang in MR had an article on a wire gadget he made.
I've used the BBQ skewer method but what other ideas do you all have??

Russ
Moss Lake Lumber Co.

brakie
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/26/2002 :  9:31:45 PM  Show Profile
Russ,I use a small tip screw driver.I started using a small tip screw drivers to uncouple the X2F coupler so,I continue with the KDs.

brakie

papasmurf37
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/27/2002 :  08:16:25 AM  Show Profile
Our old HO club used the RIX magnetic uncoupler tool exclusively.
Many report that if ferrous metal trucks are on cars, the magnets will be attracted to them and actually pull the car along/off track. Have never had this happen but it sure sounds possible. Please sound off if you've encountered this problem. papa smurf

Tom in NH

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/27/2002 :  10:40:55 AM  Show Profile
quote:

Many report that if ferrous metal trucks are on cars, the magnets will be attracted to them and actually pull the car along/off track. Have never had this happen but it sure sounds possible. Please sound off if you've encountered this problem. papa smurf

Tom in NH

Several years ago, I had two Kadee under-the-track magnets in place. I also had some Athearn cars with steel axles. The magnets would "grab" the cars and hold them in place. It was frustrating to me, particularly because I had placed the uncouplers in hard-to-reach locations. I learned a couple of lessons from that experience.

Mike Chambers
Central Missouri & Southern RR
http://homepage.mac.com/michael21/CMS-RR-Co./

mosslake
Fireman

Posted - 04/27/2002 :  8:18:18 PM  Show Profile
I can relate to the under track magnet problem, having experienced it myself, particularly when pushing a car in 'delayed' uncoupling. The magnet would suddenly attract the steel axles and the car will self propel forward, allowing the couplers to spring back. I dont think we're alone in this as there's been a few MR articles with the magnet hinged under the track, which drops down out of the way when not needed.
I am not sure the Rix tool is the answer either. While it uncouples (I sometimes have to move it back and forth to attract the trip pins)I have found that when moved away, the trip pins go with it.
Brakies method sounds ok as it is similar to my use of the skewers.
While manual uncoupling seems to be the preferred way to go each person has their own way to do this. Also no-one seems to use only the KD magnets. I suppose that when operating, manual uncoupling is necessary as a magnet won't be in the spot where you want it. One thing I will be watching while constructing my sawmill switching area is access for manual uncoupling. As I plan on having tracks enter a pair of loading sheds I may need uncoupling magnets at the enterence, maybe the electro-magnet type as I have some home made ones.
One thing, has anyone decided on solely manual uncoupling and removed the trip pins ??

Russ
Moss Lake Lumber Co.

Page: of 5 Previous Topic: Getting started on layout design Topic Next Topic: ATTN: Layout design/track planning gurus!  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.79 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000