Railroad Line Forums - MORE OPERATION SIG STARTING TID-BITS
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 244 ]  [ Total: 245 ]  [ Newest Member: wandering rr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Layout Design / Operation Sig Forum
 MORE OPERATION SIG STARTING TID-BITS
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Getting started on layout design Topic Next Topic: ATTN: Layout design/track planning gurus!
Page: of 5

mosslake
Fireman

Posted - 04/15/2002 :  10:33:41 AM  Show Profile
quote:
It's some of that hardcore Camp 1 humor, Papa

Us loggin' types gotta get our jollies where we can (dont forget the WW1 flying ace type helmet and goggles aka Snoopy).
The identical locos and consist idea is an interesting one
A varient on the loads in/empties out thing without the industries.

On a different note, passing sidings should have a similar length to staging tracks. If all trains in staging are the maximum length then at every passing siding a single or double saw-by must be done. A short passing siding at 1 or 2 locations may be plausable ( excuse for a miniscene of a siding extension in progress and don't forget the work train) but generally train length is tied to siding capacity.

Russ
Moss Lake Lumber Co.

rockislandmike
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/15/2002 :  11:07:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit rockislandmike's Homepage
I haven't even got a layout built yet, but I've already got an operating manual of about 30 pages or so.

My favorite addition, as mentioned in the original post, is *snow*. Here in Alberta we get lots (heck it's dumping on us as I type this), so when I read someone else's operating manual that included snow "rules" I had to add them to my op manual. Pretty simple formula - if it's snowing outside in the real world, it's snowing on the layout. As part of my waycard system, there's also random events which may include snow blizzards, particularly in the mountain passes.

rockislandmike
http://www.heatherandmichael.com/recklessandveiled/

papasmurf37
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/15/2002 :  3:03:54 PM  Show Profile
WELCOME ROCKISLANDMIKE and thanks for your input on our NEW forum.

RUSS: GREAT INFO on passing siding length.

GUYS: Keep the info/tips/questions coming!.....Tom

Tom in NH

mosslake
Fireman

Posted - 04/15/2002 :  8:46:53 PM  Show Profile
quote:
I haven't even got a layout built yet, but I've already got an operating manual of about 30 pages or so

Hi ROCKISLANDMIKE and welcome. I also have a manual now up to 10 pages, more of an operator's guide than anything else but it helps to explain things.

As I was saying about staging Vs siding length, if one is longer than the other then big operational problems are created by trains that are too long.
Something that must also be considered is how your staging area is to fit into the scheme of things, operating wise , not physically (I'm not getting into that one !!). If each train is to be used more than once during an operating session then that train has to return from the staging area. If the staging is stub ended then it has to back out or, part of each stub yard is sceniced as a classification yard.This would mean the layout connects two division-point yards, the incoming train is switched onto another track by the yard engine, thus releasing the road power to be reused or run to loco for servicing. The other choices are a reversing loop or some sort of 'train turntable', ok if your trains arn't too long, I've seen it used on an English layout and an Australian branchline layout as well .

Russ
Moss Lake Lumber Co.

mosslake
Fireman

Posted - 04/15/2002 :  8:56:29 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Pretty simple formula - if it's snowing outside in the real world, it's snowing on the layout

That wont work for me...it dosen't snow here

Russ
Moss Lake Lumber Co.

rockislandmike
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/18/2002 :  3:56:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit rockislandmike's Homepage
mosslake, what if you used the internet to check the weather in, say, denver or minneapolis the day of your operating sessions. If it's snowing there, it's snowing on your layout!!! Simple, easy, and quick.

Or, if you're modeling somewhere more precise, you could check the weather in the nearest big city too.

rockislandmike
http://www.heatherandmichael.com/recklessandveiled/

mosslake
Fireman

Posted - 04/18/2002 :  7:35:44 PM  Show Profile
Hi rockislandmike,
I have a logging railroad. Logging often stops when it's snowing as it gets hard to wrestle chokers in a 6'snow drift and find the log, not to mention slippery footing when using a chain saw.
I think I'll just roll a dice during winter, odds=snow and only the mill switcher runs, evens=fine and the shays will roll.
Thanks for the tip about net weather. Didnt think of that one

Russ
Moss Lake Lumber Co.

papasmurf37
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/19/2002 :  1:24:18 PM  Show Profile
RUSS: Meant to ask; is a SAW-BY a move where both trains stay in motion(SLOWLY)through a passing siding and pass each other simultaneously? papa smurf

Tom in NH

billk
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/19/2002 :  1:35:29 PM  Show Profile
Tom - A saw-by has to be done when two trains meet and neither one can fit into a passing siding. The steps are kinda hard to describe without diagrams, but basically at least one of the trains has to be broken up into at least two pieces. The Armstrong "Track Planning" book I mentioned elsewhere has a pretty good description (with diagrams!)

Is your glass half empty or half full .. or just too big?

papasmurf37
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/19/2002 :  3:12:54 PM  Show Profile
THANKS BILLK! papa smurf

Tom in NH

Edited by - papasmurf37 on 04/19/2002 15:13:25

mosslake
Fireman

Posted - 04/19/2002 :  8:33:55 PM  Show Profile
Hey Tom, Billk,
quote:
A saw-by has to be done when two trains meet and neither one can fit into a passing siding

According to the 'Armstrong book thats the 'double saw-by.
Asingle saw-by is say, a passenger on the main clear of both turnouts and a long freight runs round it through the siding. At some point the freight's locosare on the main and so is the caboose while the train is stretched out through the siding.

A double saw-by. Train A has 15 cars. Train B has 15 cars (both including engine & caboose) Both must pass at station X which is a 10 car siding. Train A cuts off the last 5 cars then goes into the siding. Train B goes forward on the main couples to A's 5 cars and pushes the lot forward to clear the rear switch. Train A exits the siding behind train B and moves at least 17 cars distance from the switch. Train B reverses and cuts A's 5 cars off on the main between switches. B then reverses again to clear the switch (back to where it originally started) The switch is thrown and train B moves through the siding, out the other end and continues on its way. A reverses onto it's last 5 cars and when ready continues too.

Russ
Moss Lake Lumber Co.

Edited by - mosslake on 04/19/2002 20:34:55

Edited by - mosslake on 04/20/2002 08:10:02

papasmurf37
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/20/2002 :  11:52:36 PM  Show Profile
I think we'll pass on THAT scenario in an o/s! papa smurf

Tom in NH

Edited by - papasmurf37 on 04/21/2002 16:44:47

mosslake
Fireman

Posted - 04/21/2002 :  03:15:09 AM  Show Profile
I did a double saw-by only once on HOn3 yet!!
It was at an open house for a club I was in at Sydney. Had spectators 3 deep most of the time. Trouble was there was only 1 aisle and I couldn't move. Ended up with a member at each end of the siding doing the uncoupling/coupling.

BTW If anyone has seen the 'RED STAG'or 'LEIGH CREEK' logging RR video with Geoff Nott, Geoff was the club president at the time.

Russ
Moss Lake Lumber Co.

Edited by - mosslake on 04/22/2002 07:20:38

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/22/2002 :  08:19:32 AM  Show Profile
quote:

BTW If anyone has seen the 'RED STAG'or 'LEIGH CREEK' logging RR video with Geoff Nott, Geoff was the club president at the time.

Russ
Moss Lake Lumber Co.

Edited by - mosslake on 04/22/2002 07:20:38

I haven't seen the videos, but I saw their series of articles in the Gazette. It's some of the most beautiful modeling I've ever seen. Those guys are truly masters.

Mike Chambers, General Supt.
Central Missouri & Southern RR Co.
Osage Valley Tie & Lmbr Co.
http://homepage.mac.com/michael21

mosslake
Fireman

Posted - 04/23/2002 :  04:59:36 AM  Show Profile
Hi Mike,
If you were impressed by 'Red Stag' then get the 'Leigh Creek' video. You won't be sorry. Geoff paints fine art and it shows in his backdrops. I have seen his layout (been told Leigh Creek dosnt exist anymore) and still bought the video. The scenery is staggering and I think very 'John Allen'ish.
Check out 'Great Model Railroads 2000' to see some photos. Thats it on the cover.

Russ
Moss Lake Lumber Co.

Edited by - mosslake on 04/23/2002 05:04:09

Page: of 5 Previous Topic: Getting started on layout design Topic Next Topic: ATTN: Layout design/track planning gurus!  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000