Railroad Line Forums - Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 88 ]  [ Total: 90 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Classroom
 Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light
Page: of 116

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/29/2003 :  6:32:19 PM  Show Profile
OK, guys, this is the best I can do for the time being. I forgot that tomorrow is Thursday and I'm leaving town for the weekend. So I won't be taking any "progress" photos tomorrow afterall.

Anyhoo.... this is a quickie I snapped late this afternoon of one of the clapboard scraps I experimented with last night. The colors in the photo aren't totally accurate, but they're close. I circled the area that I finally settled on for a paint "scheme." (It's the one I described earlier today.)

In case anyone is wondering, I propped the pieces up on my airbrush easel to photograph them. That's why there are holes behind the scraps.

Edited by - MikeC on 01/29/2003 6:36:04 PM

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/30/2003 :  08:43:37 AM  Show Profile
Hi Guys,

Well I spent last evening weathering siding and painting the castings. I still have yet to decide what paint/stain technique I'm going to use, but I figure I may do some experimenting this weekend. I purchased a new digital camera yesterday, a Kodak DX4330, so I will try to experiment with that this weekend also.

Harry

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

Posted - 01/30/2003 :  09:18:07 AM  Show Profile
Mike, are those nail holes made with the pounce wheel? Is there a particular number of teeth on the wheel or do you just buy a standard?

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/30/2003 :  10:31:30 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty Stumps

Mike, are those nail holes made with the pounce wheel? Is there a particular number of teeth on the wheel or do you just buy a standard?

Walt, I got my pounce wheels from MicroMark. They come three per set, 1 "large" wheel, 1 "medium" wheel, and 1 "small" wheel. I used the small wheel for this siding. If I ever knew the tooth count for each wheel, I've forgotten it.

Everyone,I went ahead and finished coloring all of my siding last night. Now it's got all weekend to dry as I'll be out of town until Monday. So that's the last of my Foss' 'reports' for a few days.

Harry, glad to hear you got your new camera. The Kodak DX4330 got some really good reviews from the digital camera magazines not too long ago. I'm looking forward to seeing some photos.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/30/2003 :  10:31:30 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty Stumps

Walt, I got my pounce wheels from MicroMark. They come three per set, 1 "large" wheel, 1 "medium" wheel, and 1 "small" wheel. I used the small wheel for this siding. If I ever knew the tooth count for each wheel, I've forgotten it.

Everyone,I went ahead and finished coloring all of my siding last night. Now it's got all weekend to dry as I'll be out of town until Monday. So that's the last of my Foss' 'reports' for a few days.

Harry, glad to hear you got your new camera. The Kodak DX4330 got some really good reviews from the digital camera magazines not too long ago. I'm looking forward to seeing some photos.

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

Posted - 01/30/2003 :  11:09:23 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by MikeC

Mike, as I'm kind of a JoAnn's Etc customer I thought I could convince my wife we should go by there this weekend and I'd see what they had. Of course once I mention it she'll beat me there. In the meantime I'll check the MicroMark catalog, I must have 15 copies around, and see if I can figure the tooth count.

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 02/02/2003 :  2:51:35 PM  Show Profile
Greetings all,

I finished the distressing, weathering, warping and wall braces. Yesterday put a light coat of Floquil grime on the seven walls. I deviated and applied an india ink/alcohol wash on after the paint dried. The grime paint is in it's 48 hour cure period and the next coat/wash of Boxcar red goes on tomorrow noon. Today, I'm working on the windows.

Will try to reach an agreement with my digital and post pic's early in the week. I am also backing up pictures with 35mm.

Later,

Jim

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 02/02/2003 :  2:51:35 PM  Show Profile
Greetings all,

I finished the distressing, weathering, warping and wall braces. Yesterday put a light coat of Floquil grime on the seven walls. I deviated and applied an india ink/alcohol wash on after the paint dried. The grime paint is in it's 48 hour cure period and the next coat/wash of Boxcar red goes on tomorrow noon. Today, I'm working on the windows.

Will try to reach an agreement with my digital and post pic's early in the week. I am also backing up pictures with 35mm.

Later,

Jim

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/02/2003 :  3:33:36 PM  Show Profile
Hi
All
Well I have completed 4 of the 7 walls and have 3 to go. I have been completing 2 walls at a time. Ageing then painting. While the paint is drying on 2 walls I am aging 2 more etc. I would like to be able to start on the windows tomorrow, they are all painted so I will be assembling them. For the walls, I went with the shoe dye first, then a wash of Ceramcoat Wedgwood Green, then a drybrush with CN Gray #17 and Antique white.
I am going to take some 35 mm pictures and then try to post them here.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/02/2003 :  3:33:36 PM  Show Profile
Hi
All
Well I have completed 4 of the 7 walls and have 3 to go. I have been completing 2 walls at a time. Ageing then painting. While the paint is drying on 2 walls I am aging 2 more etc. I would like to be able to start on the windows tomorrow, they are all painted so I will be assembling them. For the walls, I went with the shoe dye first, then a wash of Ceramcoat Wedgwood Green, then a drybrush with CN Gray #17 and Antique white.
I am going to take some 35 mm pictures and then try to post them here.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/03/2003 :  08:43:31 AM  Show Profile
Hi,

I spend most of the weekend finishing the weathering and the started painting. I decided to go with a light blue for the main color after the india ink wash. I'll post a few photo's after I get them completed to my liking.

Harry

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/03/2003 :  08:43:31 AM  Show Profile
Hi,

I spend most of the weekend finishing the weathering and the started painting. I decided to go with a light blue for the main color after the india ink wash. I'll post a few photo's after I get them completed to my liking.

Harry

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

Posted - 02/03/2003 :  10:57:28 AM  Show Profile
Interesting reading the various approaches to painting and weathering this kit.

Has anyone tried the "correcto type" method? This is where you use the sheets of correcto type white material and apply them over the aged wood, let the material flake off somewhat to look like peeled paint.

There was an article a short time back in Model Railroader and I was just wondering if anyone has done this yet?

Walt

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

Posted - 02/03/2003 :  10:57:28 AM  Show Profile
Interesting reading the various approaches to painting and weathering this kit.

Has anyone tried the "correcto type" method? This is where you use the sheets of correcto type white material and apply them over the aged wood, let the material flake off somewhat to look like peeled paint.

There was an article a short time back in Model Railroader and I was just wondering if anyone has done this yet?

Walt

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 02/03/2003 :  1:13:13 PM  Show Profile
Still having difficulties uploading picture. It will not go into the photo album, so one last try here. (Figure this, went back to photo album and guess what was there). (Mike if you want to do your thing with the pic, feel free).

Finished the final paint/stains. The structure turned out darker than Brett's original pictures on his website, but that is possibly due to my lighting and the ink/alcohol stain. Other that the ink/alcohol stain, I stayed with the manuals instructions. (PS. The building is not glued together, the walls were placed together for photo).

Well, that didn't work either...

Rusty, correcto tape sounds interesting. May try it later on the next building on the window trim.

While at SW website, saw that Brett has announced two new Foss' Landing kits, delivery date to be announced.

Jim

Edited by - ANo10 on 02/03/2003 1:24:36 PM

Page: of 116 Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000