Railroad Line Forums - Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 100 ]  [ Total: 104 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Classroom
 Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light
Page: of 116

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  10:03:23 AM  Show Profile
Well, I got back to it last night after my little hiatus. I got the bearing piles attached to the dock. I didn't need many because of the stone wall, and I went ahead with the 3/16" piles like I originally planned.

After I finished the dock, I masked off the retaining walls and spray painted the diorama base (water) with flat black. That was it for the evening because I had to let the paint dry. When I get back to it next Monday evening, I'll feather in the "shallows" along the shoreline with umbers and siennas. I also hope to get the Sculptamold done then.

Well, it's back to the Lake this morning. We've got a lot of bedding plants and some new shrubs to get in the ground this weekend. Have a good weekend, everyone.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  10:03:23 AM  Show Profile
Well, I got back to it last night after my little hiatus. I got the bearing piles attached to the dock. I didn't need many because of the stone wall, and I went ahead with the 3/16" piles like I originally planned.

After I finished the dock, I masked off the retaining walls and spray painted the diorama base (water) with flat black. That was it for the evening because I had to let the paint dry. When I get back to it next Monday evening, I'll feather in the "shallows" along the shoreline with umbers and siennas. I also hope to get the Sculptamold done then.

Well, it's back to the Lake this morning. We've got a lot of bedding plants and some new shrubs to get in the ground this weekend. Have a good weekend, everyone.

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  11:17:10 AM  Show Profile
Fini!!! And coming in last...

Put the finishing touches on the Launch Company this morning. Shingles are Brett's recommended Depot Olive with india ink/alcohol wash and Mike's suggestion of highlighting with yellow ochre chalk (Thanks for that tip). Had a hard time on the right color for the doors.

I switched the tarpaper roof to the slope of the shed.

Jim

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  11:17:10 AM  Show Profile
Fini!!! And coming in last...

Put the finishing touches on the Launch Company this morning. Shingles are Brett's recommended Depot Olive with india ink/alcohol wash and Mike's suggestion of highlighting with yellow ochre chalk (Thanks for that tip). Had a hard time on the right color for the doors.

I switched the tarpaper roof to the slope of the shed.

Jim

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  11:59:14 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jim
Your roof looks really good.
I wish I had your patience to do the roof with real wood.
Again another outstanding structure.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  11:59:14 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jim

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  3:40:42 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bbags

Hi Jim

Ditto for me, Jim! Another excellent job of model building in every respect.

I love the color of your roof. Now I kind of wish I had gone that route.... oh well...

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  3:40:42 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bbags

Hi Jim

Ditto for me, Jim! Another excellent job of model building in every respect.

I love the color of your roof. Now I kind of wish I had gone that route.... oh well...

NickO
Fireman

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  6:04:05 PM  Show Profile

Hi Mike,
You say you use your iron to unwarp sidings with the steam turned off.Have you tried it with the steam turned on? I ask this as steam is used to bend wood,so would it not help to unbend it by softening the fibres and once weighted will remain in place once dried.Just a thought,tell me if I am talking rubbish.

Nick O

NickO
Fireman

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  6:04:05 PM  Show Profile

Hi Mike,
You say you use your iron to unwarp sidings with the steam turned off.Have you tried it with the steam turned on? I ask this as steam is used to bend wood,so would it not help to unbend it by softening the fibres and once weighted will remain in place once dried.Just a thought,tell me if I am talking rubbish.

Nick O

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  6:15:53 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by NickO

Hi Mike,

Nick O

Nick, I have absolutely no idea what would happen. I'll have to experiment with the idea sometime. What you propose sounds reasonable, however. I do know that a dry iron worked wonders for me in the past. It was especially effective on the two lower (short) SW Machine Shop roofs. They each had a definite curl to them until I gave them the "hot" iron treatment.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  6:15:53 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by NickO

Hi Mike,

Nick O

Nick, I have absolutely no idea what would happen. I'll have to experiment with the idea sometime. What you propose sounds reasonable, however. I do know that a dry iron worked wonders for me in the past. It was especially effective on the two lower (short) SW Machine Shop roofs. They each had a definite curl to them until I gave them the "hot" iron treatment.

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  8:42:23 PM  Show Profile
Jim, Your roof looks great. I don't think I could have done it in real wood. I probably would be missing a finger or two

Harry

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  8:42:23 PM  Show Profile
Jim, Your roof looks great. I don't think I could have done it in real wood. I probably would be missing a finger or two

Harry

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  11:06:01 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Guys,

Harry, I understand what you're saying. Number one, blood is not a good wood stain, and two, super glue helps to repair nicks and cuts from the chopper.

Tomorrow, will begin on the dock. "STELLA..."

Jim

Page: of 116 Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.69 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000