Railroad Line Forums - Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 20 ]  [ Total: 20 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Classroom
 Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light
Page: of 116

aartwmich
New Hire

Posted - 04/27/2003 :  3:10:44 PM  Show Profile
Hiya Guys...I just caught up on the last 6 pages of the thread after spending 2 weeks in France. Everyones structures look fantastic!! I just love watching these things go together.

Mike, I'm SO proud of you..hehehe...for tearing up that roof to fix the valley roofing! ;-) I couldn't believe it when you wrote that you put the valley roofing over the shingles . I hope your knee is healing quickly.

This thread is like a modeling soap opera..well not quite but it's great to follow the story along

I have a bunch of pics of 3 great models that I saw at the D'Orsay Musee in Paris, made me think of you finescalemodelers. I'll get em posted in the finescalemodel forum when I can find the time to resize and upload them. I took 400 photos while on vacation, got the lighting ajusted on them and all organized but frankly I'm tired of looking at them...lol..need to take a break, and mow the lawn and do all the other domestic chores neglected during my leisure.

ima tomboygirlforever

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/27/2003 :  5:04:34 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by aartwmich

Mike, I'm SO proud of you..hehehe...for tearing up that roof to fix the valley roofing! ;-) I couldn't believe it when you wrote that you put the valley roofing over the shingles . I hope your knee is healing quickly.

I have a bunch of pics of 3 great models that I saw at the D'Orsay Musee in Paris, made me think of you finescalemodelers. I'll get em posted in the finescalemodel forum when I can find the time to resize and upload them. I took 400 photos while on vacation, got the lighting ajusted on them and all organized but frankly I'm tired of looking at them...lol.

Hey, Anne, thanks. I was just trying to be good boy and follow directions. But this was one time I just had to rebel and do it my way. I was afraid some HO scale thunderstorm would blow across my basement, and I'd have a torrent running under the valley flashing and shingles.

We will look forward to seeing your museum photos when you have them ready.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/27/2003 :  5:04:34 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by aartwmich

I have a bunch of pics of 3 great models that I saw at the D'Orsay Musee in Paris, made me think of you finescalemodelers. I'll get em posted in the finescalemodel forum when I can find the time to resize and upload them. I took 400 photos while on vacation, got the lighting ajusted on them and all organized but frankly I'm tired of looking at them...lol.

Hey, Anne, thanks. I was just trying to be good boy and follow directions. But this was one time I just had to rebel and do it my way. I was afraid some HO scale thunderstorm would blow across my basement, and I'd have a torrent running under the valley flashing and shingles.

We will look forward to seeing your museum photos when you have them ready.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/28/2003 :  09:44:47 AM  Show Profile
Well, I got a bit more done on the dock last night. I decided to use heavier load-bearing pilings than what were included with the kit. So I stained and cut several lengths of 3/16" dowel. I didn't get far enough along, however, to decide what I want to use for the fender pilings. I may go with the 1/8" pilings in the kit; I may go with additional 3/16."

(My rationale is that since this is a boat dock, it would be more substantially supported and anchored to the shoreline than the wharf. Plus the heavier pilings make a nice visual contrast to the smaller ones on the wharf.)

We are leaving for the Lake later today, so I won't be working on Foss' again until Wednesday evening most likely. I've got a lot of yard work and spring cleaning to get caught up on, but I'll probably work on the Work Train for the next couple of evenings.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/28/2003 :  09:44:47 AM  Show Profile
Well, I got a bit more done on the dock last night. I decided to use heavier load-bearing pilings than what were included with the kit. So I stained and cut several lengths of 3/16" dowel. I didn't get far enough along, however, to decide what I want to use for the fender pilings. I may go with the 1/8" pilings in the kit; I may go with additional 3/16."

(My rationale is that since this is a boat dock, it would be more substantially supported and anchored to the shoreline than the wharf. Plus the heavier pilings make a nice visual contrast to the smaller ones on the wharf.)

We are leaving for the Lake later today, so I won't be working on Foss' again until Wednesday evening most likely. I've got a lot of yard work and spring cleaning to get caught up on, but I'll probably work on the Work Train for the next couple of evenings.

aartwmich
New Hire

Posted - 04/28/2003 :  5:44:23 PM  Show Profile
Mike,
[rollseyes]You better have the icepack and the ibuprofen ready for when you overwork that poor knee of yours...matter of fact, better take the ibuprofen BEFORE you start the yard work and cleaning!!

Been there..Done that.

ima tomboygirlforever

aartwmich
New Hire

Posted - 04/28/2003 :  5:44:23 PM  Show Profile
Mike,
[rollseyes]You better have the icepack and the ibuprofen ready for when you overwork that poor knee of yours...matter of fact, better take the ibuprofen BEFORE you start the yard work and cleaning!!

Been there..Done that.

ima tomboygirlforever

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 04/28/2003 :  10:43:14 PM  Show Profile

I was able to finish & trim the dock. No problems or surprises there. I used the Floquil concrete, a little India ink/alcohol & same Floquil Driftwood on the deck. I have not done the pilings yet. I decided to do the diorama base next.

I cut out the templates & spent the evening arranging the layout of the diorama. Maybe I am slow but it took a long time to figure out. I had to do a lot of measuring, referring to pictures in other parts of the manual & website to finally get to the point were I am now. I had to take a break & get away from it. I will go back & finish when I get off line.

I need to decide what type of retaining wall(s) to build. The type will determine how much space to leave.

I do have a question. If I am going to use plaster, do I have to make the Styrofoam about 3/8Ē smaller to allow for the plaster. If I use wood pilings, then I donít. Is that right?

Iíll look at some books or read some of your postings to get ideas. This is my first water front scene. So this all new to me!!

John,
You said you are going to use wood pilings. Are you modeling fresh or salt water? What books tells you how to build them?

I know Mike is modeling fresh water. How about the rest of you? I have forgotten what everyone is modeling & what you are using as a retaining wall. Do you mind telling me again what you are going to do? Are you using wood, concrete or stone? Thanks.

I'll try to post some pictures this week. I am planning on buying a program to resize my photos this payday. Then maybe I can post them.

Paul

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 04/28/2003 :  10:43:14 PM  Show Profile

I was able to finish & trim the dock. No problems or surprises there. I used the Floquil concrete, a little India ink/alcohol & same Floquil Driftwood on the deck. I have not done the pilings yet. I decided to do the diorama base next.

I cut out the templates & spent the evening arranging the layout of the diorama. Maybe I am slow but it took a long time to figure out. I had to do a lot of measuring, referring to pictures in other parts of the manual & website to finally get to the point were I am now. I had to take a break & get away from it. I will go back & finish when I get off line.

I need to decide what type of retaining wall(s) to build. The type will determine how much space to leave.

I do have a question. If I am going to use plaster, do I have to make the Styrofoam about 3/8Ē smaller to allow for the plaster. If I use wood pilings, then I donít. Is that right?

Iíll look at some books or read some of your postings to get ideas. This is my first water front scene. So this all new to me!!

John,
You said you are going to use wood pilings. Are you modeling fresh or salt water? What books tells you how to build them?

I know Mike is modeling fresh water. How about the rest of you? I have forgotten what everyone is modeling & what you are using as a retaining wall. Do you mind telling me again what you are going to do? Are you using wood, concrete or stone? Thanks.

I'll try to post some pictures this week. I am planning on buying a program to resize my photos this payday. Then maybe I can post them.

Paul

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/28/2003 :  11:11:17 PM  Show Profile
Hi Paul
My Foss' will be on a river so I am modeling fresh water.
I have actually built a timber wall (or crib wall as I learned from Rusty in a few posts previous) and if you have the July 2002 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman the wall looks like the one on page 85 in the picture below the lighthouse. The basic instructions are also on page 85.
Basically I used scale 12"x12" horizontal timbers stacked to the top of the foam base. About 11 scale feet high where the Clam & Oyster Company is located. Vertical timbers were then added approximately every 8 scale feet. I will also add the nut-bolt-washers mentioned when I get them in the future. Since the shoreline is vertical I just glued the wall to the foam. This will mean some adjustment will be necessary for the pilings under the dock for the Launch Company but not for the Clam & Oyster Company. Also my shoreline now is almost straight instead or a curve. I also used the same retaining wall for the walls that are on dry land. They are just not as tall.
There is an article in 6 HO Railroads you can build from Kalmbach by Malcolm Furlow where he uses 1/8"-diameter wood dowels laid out on masking tape turned sticky side up where the back of the tape can then be glued to the foam.
Also I live about 1 mile from the ocean and have seen many a seawall made of wood using both methods.
It is very basic and no where near as impressive as a stone wall would be but it is more representative of the retaining walls found in Alaska.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Edited by - Bbags on 04/28/2003 11:23:51 PM

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/28/2003 :  11:11:17 PM  Show Profile
Hi Paul
My Foss' will be on a river so I am modeling fresh water.
I have actually built a timber wall (or crib wall as I learned from Rusty in a few posts previous) and if you have the July 2002 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman the wall looks like the one on page 85 in the picture below the lighthouse. The basic instructions are also on page 85.
Basically I used scale 12"x12" horizontal timbers stacked to the top of the foam base. About 11 scale feet high where the Clam & Oyster Company is located. Vertical timbers were then added approximately every 8 scale feet. I will also add the nut-bolt-washers mentioned when I get them in the future. Since the shoreline is vertical I just glued the wall to the foam. This will mean some adjustment will be necessary for the pilings under the dock for the Launch Company but not for the Clam & Oyster Company. Also my shoreline now is almost straight instead or a curve. I also used the same retaining wall for the walls that are on dry land. They are just not as tall.
There is an article in 6 HO Railroads you can build from Kalmbach by Malcolm Furlow where he uses 1/8"-diameter wood dowels laid out on masking tape turned sticky side up where the back of the tape can then be glued to the foam.
Also I live about 1 mile from the ocean and have seen many a seawall made of wood using both methods.
It is very basic and no where near as impressive as a stone wall would be but it is more representative of the retaining walls found in Alaska.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Edited by - Bbags on 04/28/2003 11:23:51 PM

Wallace
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/29/2003 :  01:22:28 AM  Show Profile
For those who are making pilings for the boat dock, consider that some use heavy mooring line wrapped around the pilings to prevent damage to the boat. This can be made from twine, and darkened to simulate being wet.

Wallace
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/29/2003 :  01:22:28 AM  Show Profile
For those who are making pilings for the boat dock, consider that some use heavy mooring line wrapped around the pilings to prevent damage to the boat. This can be made from twine, and darkened to simulate being wet.

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/29/2003 :  06:31:17 AM  Show Profile
Hello,

Due to some work and personal commitments this week I probably will not be able to work on my diorama until Thursday or Friday. It is very interesting reading how everyone is doing their base. I personally think I may go with a combination wall. Concrete for the taller section and wood for the shorter sections, as if they were installed at different times. I have already layed out the wall and cut the foam, so it is just a matter of installing the wall.

Harry

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/29/2003 :  06:31:17 AM  Show Profile
Hello,

Due to some work and personal commitments this week I probably will not be able to work on my diorama until Thursday or Friday. It is very interesting reading how everyone is doing their base. I personally think I may go with a combination wall. Concrete for the taller section and wood for the shorter sections, as if they were installed at different times. I have already layed out the wall and cut the foam, so it is just a matter of installing the wall.

Harry

Page: of 116 Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 2.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000