Railroad Line Forums - Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 79 ]  [ Total: 83 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Classroom
 Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light
Page: of 116

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 04/25/2003 :  9:32:58 PM  Show Profile

Maybe those who will build it in the future will read this thread & learn from our experiences. I know I have. This "flat" roof has caused us problems. First, the cardboard was too small & now the tarpaper. The tarpaper falls in the category of "I wish I had realized that sooner!" Oh well, I still think it looks good.

Paul

Edited by - paulbrockatsf on 04/25/2003 9:40:04 PM

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 04/25/2003 :  9:32:58 PM  Show Profile

Maybe those who will build it in the future will read this thread & learn from our experiences. I know I have. This "flat" roof has caused us problems. First, the cardboard was too small & now the tarpaper. The tarpaper falls in the category of "I wish I had realized that sooner!" Oh well, I still think it looks good.

Paul

Edited by - paulbrockatsf on 04/25/2003 9:40:04 PM

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/25/2003 :  9:50:54 PM  Show Profile
Hi all
Well this is one time where being slow might have paid off.
I have the roofs done except for putting down the tar paper. So I will put mine down from high to low and see how it looks.
Thanks Paul for spotting this for I can honestly say that I would not have picked up this fact.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/25/2003 :  9:50:54 PM  Show Profile
Hi all
Well this is one time where being slow might have paid off.
I have the roofs done except for putting down the tar paper. So I will put mine down from high to low and see how it looks.
Thanks Paul for spotting this for I can honestly say that I would not have picked up this fact.

John Bagley

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/26/2003 :  10:50:25 AM  Show Profile
Paul, You are most correct there, when we are finished it would be nice to have this whole topic saved.

Well last evening I finished glueing up the dock and started to stain it, I should complete the staining sometime this weekend along with the piles.

Harry

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/26/2003 :  10:50:25 AM  Show Profile
Paul, You are most correct there, when we are finished it would be nice to have this whole topic saved.

Well last evening I finished glueing up the dock and started to stain it, I should complete the staining sometime this weekend along with the piles.

Harry

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 04/26/2003 :  11:08:19 AM  Show Profile
Paul, Thanks for pointing out the tarpaper roof. Like John, I guess it's sometimes good to be slow. I will put it on "correctly".

Mike, Good looking 2nd wall. I had plan on using small "boulders" to place along the shoreline as a breakwater to prevent erosion. Seems to be the way they do it in 1:1 here in the Southwest.

Hopefully will finish shingling today. Will post up pics at the beginning of the week.

Jim

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 04/26/2003 :  11:08:19 AM  Show Profile
Paul, Thanks for pointing out the tarpaper roof. Like John, I guess it's sometimes good to be slow. I will put it on "correctly".

Mike, Good looking 2nd wall. I had plan on using small "boulders" to place along the shoreline as a breakwater to prevent erosion. Seems to be the way they do it in 1:1 here in the Southwest.

Hopefully will finish shingling today. Will post up pics at the beginning of the week.

Jim

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 04/26/2003 :  4:40:08 PM  Show Profile
The pitch is very slight. You really don’t notice that it is not flat. My wife did not notice until I told her & she usually catches things like that. She is my best/worse critic.

I made my roofs removable. So I was able to turn the flat roof going the “correct” way. I think aesthetically it looks better the way the instructions say to do it. Maybe that is why we did not notice it. It will be interesting to see someone’s roof going the other way. I would have done it if I had caught it soon enough.

Paul

Edited by - paulbrockatsf on 04/26/2003 5:26:43 PM

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 04/26/2003 :  4:40:08 PM  Show Profile
The pitch is very slight. You really don’t notice that it is not flat. My wife did not notice until I told her & she usually catches things like that. She is my best/worse critic.

I made my roofs removable. So I was able to turn the flat roof going the “correct” way. I think aesthetically it looks better the way the instructions say to do it. Maybe that is why we did not notice it. It will be interesting to see someone’s roof going the other way. I would have done it if I had caught it soon enough.

Paul

Edited by - paulbrockatsf on 04/26/2003 5:26:43 PM

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/26/2003 :  10:44:46 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by paulbrockatsf

Paul

Hi
Paul I agree that the roof would probably look better if it was done the way the instructions indicated.
My roof is almost square 2 1/2 inches by 2 9/16 inches. I will experiment with a few strips to see which actually does look better before I glue all the strips in place.
You are right that the pitch is very slight so I may go with the one that is most pleasing to the eye.
Hope to finish it tomorrow as Saturday is an 11 hour work day and no modeling gets done.

John Bagley

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/26/2003 :  10:44:46 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by paulbrockatsf

Paul

Hi
Paul I agree that the roof would probably look better if it was done the way the instructions indicated.
My roof is almost square 2 1/2 inches by 2 9/16 inches. I will experiment with a few strips to see which actually does look better before I glue all the strips in place.
You are right that the pitch is very slight so I may go with the one that is most pleasing to the eye.
Hope to finish it tomorrow as Saturday is an 11 hour work day and no modeling gets done.

John Bagley

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/27/2003 :  2:00:14 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ANo10

Jim

Jim, that's the "big" thing (or the "in" thing) at the Lake right now to prevent shoreline erosion. Instead of poured concrete walls (like I have) or random-cut stone walls (like others have), people are going to rip-rap piled along their shorelines. In most cases, it's huge "chunks" of limestone. It looks nice and is supposedly cheaper than concrete or traditional stone walls. I'd try it on my diorama, but it's definitely out-of-era for my time frame.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/27/2003 :  2:00:14 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ANo10

Jim

Jim, that's the "big" thing (or the "in" thing) at the Lake right now to prevent shoreline erosion. Instead of poured concrete walls (like I have) or random-cut stone walls (like others have), people are going to rip-rap piled along their shorelines. In most cases, it's huge "chunks" of limestone. It looks nice and is supposedly cheaper than concrete or traditional stone walls. I'd try it on my diorama, but it's definitely out-of-era for my time frame.

aartwmich
New Hire

Posted - 04/27/2003 :  3:10:44 PM  Show Profile
Hiya Guys...I just caught up on the last 6 pages of the thread after spending 2 weeks in France. Everyones structures look fantastic!! I just love watching these things go together.

Mike, I'm SO proud of you..hehehe...for tearing up that roof to fix the valley roofing! ;-) I couldn't believe it when you wrote that you put the valley roofing over the shingles . I hope your knee is healing quickly.

This thread is like a modeling soap opera..well not quite but it's great to follow the story along

I have a bunch of pics of 3 great models that I saw at the D'Orsay Musee in Paris, made me think of you finescalemodelers. I'll get em posted in the finescalemodel forum when I can find the time to resize and upload them. I took 400 photos while on vacation, got the lighting ajusted on them and all organized but frankly I'm tired of looking at them...lol..need to take a break, and mow the lawn and do all the other domestic chores neglected during my leisure.

ima tomboygirlforever

Page: of 116 Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.61 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000