Railroad Line Forums - Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 173 ]  [ Total: 174 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Classroom
 Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light
Page: of 116

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 04/25/2003 :  12:43:20 AM  Show Profile
Harry,

Sorry I had missed your pics. Great looking structure . I like the staining and color of the walls on the Launch Company. Thanks for the pics.

jim

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 04/25/2003 :  09:27:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage
Harry and Mike,

Your recent pictures look great!

Chuck

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 04/25/2003 :  09:27:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage
Harry and Mike,

Your recent pictures look great!

Chuck

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/25/2003 :  09:56:12 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the nice comments, everyone.

Well, as advertised, I spent the whole evening carving rock faces in the new wall. I'll post a photo later if I get a chance.

I decided to make the wall curve inward to follow the original shape of the shoreline. So instead of 1/2" foam, I used 1/4" pink foam for the forms because it's more flexible. After coating the bottom of it with that Elmer's caulk I used the last time, I pushed it into a concave shape to follow the contour of the shoreline. Then I "anchored" it in place with a paint can. Later in the afternoon I poured the plaster. Pretty simple actually, and the shape of the new wall is a nice contrast to the square corners and straight lines of the original wall. Like I said, I'll try to post a photo later.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/25/2003 :  09:56:12 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the nice comments, everyone.

Well, as advertised, I spent the whole evening carving rock faces in the new wall. I'll post a photo later if I get a chance.

I decided to make the wall curve inward to follow the original shape of the shoreline. So instead of 1/2" foam, I used 1/4" pink foam for the forms because it's more flexible. After coating the bottom of it with that Elmer's caulk I used the last time, I pushed it into a concave shape to follow the contour of the shoreline. Then I "anchored" it in place with a paint can. Later in the afternoon I poured the plaster. Pretty simple actually, and the shape of the new wall is a nice contrast to the square corners and straight lines of the original wall. Like I said, I'll try to post a photo later.

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 04/25/2003 :  2:14:23 PM  Show Profile
Mike & Harry,
Thanks for posting the photos. Both of your buildings look good. It is fun to see how others are building the structures. I also like seeing how they will look on the diorama.

All,
I finished my roofs & structure. I’ll try to take a picture this weekend. I have not been able to post any yet. My picture files are too large. We’ll see what happens.

I was thinking last night as I was finishing the roof how much work it is to do the shingling the way we did it. I think I could have roofed a real building in the same amount of time. I’m glad I did it though.

One thing I noticed after I finished the flat roof is the tarpaper is running the wrong way. In a “real” building water would run under the tarpaper every time it rained. I think the paper should run from front to back, from the high portion to the lower. (From the front wall 1, which is taller, to the rear wall 1, which is shorter.) If I had noticed it before I put the roof on, I may have done it different. For those who have not finished the roof, you might consider this. What do you guys think?

I probably won’t be able to do much this weekend on the dock. I have hedges to trim, grass to mow, & gutters to clean out. I think I would rather be working on my RR.

Paul

Edited by - paulbrockatsf on 04/25/2003 2:15:24 PM

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 04/25/2003 :  2:14:23 PM  Show Profile
Mike & Harry,
Thanks for posting the photos. Both of your buildings look good. It is fun to see how others are building the structures. I also like seeing how they will look on the diorama.

All,
I finished my roofs & structure. I’ll try to take a picture this weekend. I have not been able to post any yet. My picture files are too large. We’ll see what happens.

I was thinking last night as I was finishing the roof how much work it is to do the shingling the way we did it. I think I could have roofed a real building in the same amount of time. I’m glad I did it though.

One thing I noticed after I finished the flat roof is the tarpaper is running the wrong way. In a “real” building water would run under the tarpaper every time it rained. I think the paper should run from front to back, from the high portion to the lower. (From the front wall 1, which is taller, to the rear wall 1, which is shorter.) If I had noticed it before I put the roof on, I may have done it different. For those who have not finished the roof, you might consider this. What do you guys think?

I probably won’t be able to do much this weekend on the dock. I have hedges to trim, grass to mow, & gutters to clean out. I think I would rather be working on my RR.

Paul

Edited by - paulbrockatsf on 04/25/2003 2:15:24 PM

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/25/2003 :  2:57:44 PM  Show Profile
Paul, you're right. I had to go to the basement and look at my Launch Co. bldg to see. I knew there was a pitch to the roof, but I guess I got so used to looking at it, and it's so slight, that I didn't notice it when applying the tarpaper. Now I'd better hope I don't have any HO scale thunderstorms in my basement.

I just spent the last several minutes contemplating doing that portion of the roof over.... but I don't think so... Besides, of the 5 or 6 people who will ever see that model up close on my layout, probably none will ever notice the discrepancy. It's not that my daughters or my wife or her sisters are not perceptive, but....

Everyone: here are a couple of photos of the revamped diorama base. The colors on the new wall are darker than on the original wall because the pigments are still wet. When dry, it all should appear the same. Anyway, now the shoreline is stabilized for the dock and Launch Co. bldg.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/25/2003 :  2:57:44 PM  Show Profile
Paul, you're right. I had to go to the basement and look at my Launch Co. bldg to see. I knew there was a pitch to the roof, but I guess I got so used to looking at it, and it's so slight, that I didn't notice it when applying the tarpaper. Now I'd better hope I don't have any HO scale thunderstorms in my basement.

I just spent the last several minutes contemplating doing that portion of the roof over.... but I don't think so... Besides, of the 5 or 6 people who will ever see that model up close on my layout, probably none will ever notice the discrepancy. It's not that my daughters or my wife or her sisters are not perceptive, but....

Everyone: here are a couple of photos of the revamped diorama base. The colors on the new wall are darker than on the original wall because the pigments are still wet. When dry, it all should appear the same. Anyway, now the shoreline is stabilized for the dock and Launch Co. bldg.

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 04/25/2003 :  3:18:29 PM  Show Profile
Mike,
Your stone walls look great. I especially like your curves. (In the retaining wall!!) I have not built my diorama base yet. I might have to steal some of your ideas. Do you mind?! If you do, I guess you could always send the RR sheriff over to my house & arrest me!

The pitch is very slight. I debated redoing it over but like you said, very few will notice. After all, I built it & did not notice it till I started putting “chalk streaks” on it. I have some RR buddies who are model contest builders who will notice. I am not going to redo it now. I want to get these structures finished sometime this year!! If it bothers me too much in the future, I can always redo it then.

Paul

Edited by - paulbrockatsf on 04/25/2003 3:21:26 PM

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 04/25/2003 :  3:18:29 PM  Show Profile
Mike,
Your stone walls look great. I especially like your curves. (In the retaining wall!!) I have not built my diorama base yet. I might have to steal some of your ideas. Do you mind?! If you do, I guess you could always send the RR sheriff over to my house & arrest me!

The pitch is very slight. I debated redoing it over but like you said, very few will notice. After all, I built it & did not notice it till I started putting “chalk streaks” on it. I have some RR buddies who are model contest builders who will notice. I am not going to redo it now. I want to get these structures finished sometime this year!! If it bothers me too much in the future, I can always redo it then.

Paul

Edited by - paulbrockatsf on 04/25/2003 3:21:26 PM

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/25/2003 :  5:35:49 PM  Show Profile
Paul, I don't mind. That's why I have been writing it up as a sort of "how to."

Actually, I've had in the back of my mind the notion of writing it up as a regular "how to" article and seeing if any of the magazines would be interested in running it. Might help pay for some of these expensive kits (according to my wife) that I keep buying.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/25/2003 :  5:35:49 PM  Show Profile
Paul, I don't mind. That's why I have been writing it up as a sort of "how to."

Actually, I've had in the back of my mind the notion of writing it up as a regular "how to" article and seeing if any of the magazines would be interested in running it. Might help pay for some of these expensive kits (according to my wife) that I keep buying.

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/25/2003 :  8:17:43 PM  Show Profile
Nice looking base Mike. I like the second erosion wall.

You know Paul when I was putting on the tar paper I did think about it for a second and then thought that it is nearly flat and I have seen tar paper flat roofs. But if I was to do it over again I would probably turn it, but too late now.

Harry

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/25/2003 :  8:17:43 PM  Show Profile
Nice looking base Mike. I like the second erosion wall.

You know Paul when I was putting on the tar paper I did think about it for a second and then thought that it is nearly flat and I have seen tar paper flat roofs. But if I was to do it over again I would probably turn it, but too late now.

Harry

Page: of 116 Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.9 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000