Railroad Line Forums - Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 81 ]  [ Total: 86 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Classroom
 Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light
Page: of 116

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/23/2003 :  08:47:03 AM  Show Profile
Hi Harry
Thanks for the very inspirational pictures.
Outstanding structure you have there.
I have been refining my layout design and making a list of materials that I will need to purchase in order to start my layout. However after seeing your photos I am definitely motivated to finish the Launch Company.
A question, since you have your building set up on what appears to be your layout are you building the base that Brett shows in the instructions or are you placing your structures on the layout without the base.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/23/2003 :  09:41:53 AM  Show Profile
Harry, you did an excellent job on your Launch Co. building! Way to go!

BTW: I like the looks of those structures in the background. What are they? A couple of them look familiar but I can't quite place them....

I didn't get as much done on the dock last night as I thought I would. I kind of overdid things yesterday and had quite a bit of pain in and around my knee. So I spent a good part of the evening just sitting in my chair moaning pathetically and hoping my wife would wait on me hand and foot.

I did get the outside trim cut and installed but that was it for the night.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/23/2003 :  09:41:53 AM  Show Profile
Harry, you did an excellent job on your Launch Co. building! Way to go!

BTW: I like the looks of those structures in the background. What are they? A couple of them look familiar but I can't quite place them....

I didn't get as much done on the dock last night as I thought I would. I kind of overdid things yesterday and had quite a bit of pain in and around my knee. So I spent a good part of the evening just sitting in my chair moaning pathetically and hoping my wife would wait on me hand and foot.

I did get the outside trim cut and installed but that was it for the night.

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/23/2003 :  10:21:39 AM  Show Profile
John

I plan on using the dock as per Brett's diorama, I just set it on the layout so that it was safe and off my workbench.

Mike

Yes you may remember them from here http://www.paultemplar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ they were part of The Badger Creek Lumber Co. I have almost all of Paul's structures, Locos and rolling stock from the Badger Creek and Red Fox Lumber Co. including both sawmills.

Thanks for the complements everyone.

Harry

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/23/2003 :  10:21:39 AM  Show Profile
John

I plan on using the dock as per Brett's diorama, I just set it on the layout so that it was safe and off my workbench.

Mike

Yes you may remember them from here http://www.paultemplar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ they were part of The Badger Creek Lumber Co. I have almost all of Paul's structures, Locos and rolling stock from the Badger Creek and Red Fox Lumber Co. including both sawmills.

Thanks for the complements everyone.

Harry

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/24/2003 :  10:10:52 AM  Show Profile
Harry, I actually thought one of them was a Campbell model. No wonder it looked familiar.

Well, I got the dock finished and the piles stained, cut, and glued on to the wharf. I did a little test fitting of the dock, wharf, and structures. Now I have a much clearer idea of how the whole diorama goes together. I'll try to take a photo or two of it all later today and post it here.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/24/2003 :  10:10:52 AM  Show Profile
Harry, I actually thought one of them was a Campbell model. No wonder it looked familiar.

Well, I got the dock finished and the piles stained, cut, and glued on to the wharf. I did a little test fitting of the dock, wharf, and structures. Now I have a much clearer idea of how the whole diorama goes together. I'll try to take a photo or two of it all later today and post it here.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/24/2003 :  12:35:38 PM  Show Profile
As I said earlier this morning, I have enough of the dock and wharf completed that I could do some "test fitting" of the structures and actually see how the whole diorama lays out. It's one thing to study the photos in the manual; it's another to actually see it right in front of you.

For the photos, I placed the diorama on a corner of unfinished benchwork. Please excuse the clutter in the background. But these should give you some idea of how the whole thing actually looks.

I've got to decide real soon what to do about the shoreline under the dock area. I'm thinking about adding a seawall across that area because erosion of the shoreline would eventually make the dock unstable. (In the real world, that's exactly why we had to add a seawall at our lake home. The shoreline was becoming badly undercut from wave action, and we had trees falling over into the lake. ) I haven't decided if the wall will be "concrete," "stone" (like the rest of it), or a simple pile wall made of 1/8" dowels.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/24/2003 :  12:35:38 PM  Show Profile
As I said earlier this morning, I have enough of the dock and wharf completed that I could do some "test fitting" of the structures and actually see how the whole diorama lays out. It's one thing to study the photos in the manual; it's another to actually see it right in front of you.

For the photos, I placed the diorama on a corner of unfinished benchwork. Please excuse the clutter in the background. But these should give you some idea of how the whole thing actually looks.

I've got to decide real soon what to do about the shoreline under the dock area. I'm thinking about adding a seawall across that area because erosion of the shoreline would eventually make the dock unstable. (In the real world, that's exactly why we had to add a seawall at our lake home. The shoreline was becoming badly undercut from wave action, and we had trees falling over into the lake. ) I haven't decided if the wall will be "concrete," "stone" (like the rest of it), or a simple pile wall made of 1/8" dowels.

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/24/2003 :  1:09:30 PM  Show Profile
You have a nice looking diorama Mike. I guess I better finish up mine soon. You are right it makes all the difference in the world seeing it in front of you.

I didn't work on mine last evening, I had other pressing Honey-do items to finish.

Harry

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/24/2003 :  1:09:30 PM  Show Profile
You have a nice looking diorama Mike. I guess I better finish up mine soon. You are right it makes all the difference in the world seeing it in front of you.

I didn't work on mine last evening, I had other pressing Honey-do items to finish.

Harry

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

Posted - 04/24/2003 :  1:13:59 PM  Show Profile
Mike, a cribbed wall might look good and it would contrast with the stone wall well.

Looks good.

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

Posted - 04/24/2003 :  1:13:59 PM  Show Profile
Mike, a cribbed wall might look good and it would contrast with the stone wall well.

Looks good.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/24/2003 :  1:43:29 PM  Show Profile
Hi Mike
Looks really good.
One question has been answered in that you were wondering if the stone wall would show up when everything was assembled.
The wall is definitely an attention grabber.
What is a cribbed wall. I have heard of a lot of different types of walls but this one is new to me.

John Bagley

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/24/2003 :  1:43:29 PM  Show Profile
Hi Mike
Looks really good.
One question has been answered in that you were wondering if the stone wall would show up when everything was assembled.
The wall is definitely an attention grabber.
What is a cribbed wall. I have heard of a lot of different types of walls but this one is new to me.

John Bagley

Page: of 116 Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.83 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000