Railroad Line Forums - Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 147 ]  [ Total: 148 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Classroom
 Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light
Page: of 116

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/21/2003 :  5:59:49 PM  Show Profile
Good evening all
Well I finally finished the shingling of the roof. Took much longer than I thought. I need to work on the ridge cap and tar paper roof tonight.
I used the glue stick by Elmers which I think Mike recommended and applied the glue to the shingles as well. Aside from the small pieces wanting to move this method worked very well.
Well time to do the ridge cap.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/21/2003 :  5:59:49 PM  Show Profile
Good evening all
Well I finally finished the shingling of the roof. Took much longer than I thought. I need to work on the ridge cap and tar paper roof tonight.
I used the glue stick by Elmers which I think Mike recommended and applied the glue to the shingles as well. Aside from the small pieces wanting to move this method worked very well.
Well time to do the ridge cap.

John Bagley

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/22/2003 :  08:20:25 AM  Show Profile
Well last evening I finished all the shingles and started the peak. Tonight I will probably finish the peak and the flat roof. I should be able to post a photo tomorrow. I am really happy with how my roof turned out.

Harry

Edited by - Hangem Harry on 04/22/2003 08:22:17 AM

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/22/2003 :  08:20:25 AM  Show Profile
Well last evening I finished all the shingles and started the peak. Tonight I will probably finish the peak and the flat roof. I should be able to post a photo tomorrow. I am really happy with how my roof turned out.

Harry

Edited by - Hangem Harry on 04/22/2003 08:22:17 AM

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/22/2003 :  09:06:56 AM  Show Profile
I didn't get as much done last night as I had planned. But I did manage to get the dock framed, braced and stained. For the staining, I used black alcohol, Polly Concrete, and Apple Barrel Burnt Umber. The paints were diluted with windshield washer fluid in the brush. I let all three colors run together and blend randomly on the dock surface. Just to be safe and prevent warpage, I weighted the dock down with a couple of large, heavy books for the rest of the night. It was flat as a pancake this morning.

I would have followed Brett's suggestion for staining with Floquil and a cloth, but my wife objects so strenuously to the odor that I decided not to. I could have gone to the garage to do it, but I would have had to spend an hour just cleaning off my workbench to find room to set up.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/22/2003 :  09:06:56 AM  Show Profile
I didn't get as much done last night as I had planned. But I did manage to get the dock framed, braced and stained. For the staining, I used black alcohol, Polly Concrete, and Apple Barrel Burnt Umber. The paints were diluted with windshield washer fluid in the brush. I let all three colors run together and blend randomly on the dock surface. Just to be safe and prevent warpage, I weighted the dock down with a couple of large, heavy books for the rest of the night. It was flat as a pancake this morning.

I would have followed Brett's suggestion for staining with Floquil and a cloth, but my wife objects so strenuously to the odor that I decided not to. I could have gone to the garage to do it, but I would have had to spend an hour just cleaning off my workbench to find room to set up.

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 04/22/2003 :  11:44:41 AM  Show Profile
Still shingling. I've finished 3/4 of the roof. Maybe this week?? Have been experimenting with pinking shears for cutting shingles. Still can't beat the chopper.

Jim

ANo10
Fireman

Posted - 04/22/2003 :  11:44:41 AM  Show Profile
Still shingling. I've finished 3/4 of the roof. Maybe this week?? Have been experimenting with pinking shears for cutting shingles. Still can't beat the chopper.

Jim

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 04/22/2003 :  4:13:09 PM  Show Profile

Iím still shingling as well. I hope to finish tonight unless I take a break & finish the tarpaper roof. I already have the flat roof cut out, painted & ready to roof. I probably wonít though. I want too see the main roof finished.

I did not have any permanent stick glue so I thought I would use carpenters glue (the yellow kind). It didnít work too well. It glued it but left a residue on the edges that I had to scrap off. I am going to buy some other type of glue before tonight.

Paul

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 04/22/2003 :  4:13:09 PM  Show Profile

Iím still shingling as well. I hope to finish tonight unless I take a break & finish the tarpaper roof. I already have the flat roof cut out, painted & ready to roof. I probably wonít though. I want too see the main roof finished.

I did not have any permanent stick glue so I thought I would use carpenters glue (the yellow kind). It didnít work too well. It glued it but left a residue on the edges that I had to scrap off. I am going to buy some other type of glue before tonight.

Paul

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/23/2003 :  07:41:59 AM  Show Profile
Well here we go. I finished the roof last evening so as promised here are a few photos.

Sorry about the lighting, I just used the overhead lights.
I am happy with how it turned out. Next I will have to start on the dock tonight.

Harry

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/23/2003 :  07:41:59 AM  Show Profile
Well here we go. I finished the roof last evening so as promised here are a few photos.

Sorry about the lighting, I just used the overhead lights.
I am happy with how it turned out. Next I will have to start on the dock tonight.

Harry

jimmydeignan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/23/2003 :  08:02:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit jimmydeignan's Homepage
Looks great Harry! Thanks for the pics.
JIMMY

jimmydeignan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/23/2003 :  08:02:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit jimmydeignan's Homepage
Looks great Harry! Thanks for the pics.
JIMMY

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/23/2003 :  08:47:03 AM  Show Profile
Hi Harry
Thanks for the very inspirational pictures.
Outstanding structure you have there.
I have been refining my layout design and making a list of materials that I will need to purchase in order to start my layout. However after seeing your photos I am definitely motivated to finish the Launch Company.
A question, since you have your building set up on what appears to be your layout are you building the base that Brett shows in the instructions or are you placing your structures on the layout without the base.

John Bagley

Page: of 116 Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.77 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000