Railroad Line Forums - Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 65 ]  [ Total: 65 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Classroom
 Foss' Landing Construction "Project"
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light
Page: of 116

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/18/2003 :  10:29:30 PM  Show Profile
Nice looking Mike.

I'm not sure how you got the roof done so fast, I have worked on mine for two nights and am only 1/2 complete. I figure I'll have my roof done but Tuesday at this rate. But no rush.

Harry

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 04/18/2003 :  11:02:51 PM  Show Profile
Mike, your building looks great!! I like the way you did your roof. The flashing with the rust looks good too. I am planning on doing mine similar. You said you used pewter gray for your flashing. Wasn’t sure what color pewter gray is so I mixed reefer gray & reefer white & got a medium gray.

All, I have started my roof tonight. I was hoping to get them done this weekend. I read Harry’s post so maybe I am being too optimistic. I wasn’t sure if I would like the paper roof, but after using it on my SW Freight house & seeing all your photos, I think I will like it. I used the colors Brett suggested. I am going to use raw umber chalk on it after I am finished. It made all the difference on the freight house.

Paul

Edited by - paulbrockatsf on 04/18/2003 11:04:17 PM

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 04/18/2003 :  11:02:51 PM  Show Profile
Mike, your building looks great!! I like the way you did your roof. The flashing with the rust looks good too. I am planning on doing mine similar. You said you used pewter gray for your flashing. Wasn’t sure what color pewter gray is so I mixed reefer gray & reefer white & got a medium gray.

All, I have started my roof tonight. I was hoping to get them done this weekend. I read Harry’s post so maybe I am being too optimistic. I wasn’t sure if I would like the paper roof, but after using it on my SW Freight house & seeing all your photos, I think I will like it. I used the colors Brett suggested. I am going to use raw umber chalk on it after I am finished. It made all the difference on the freight house.

Paul

Edited by - paulbrockatsf on 04/18/2003 11:04:17 PM

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/19/2003 :  11:03:56 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the compliments, guys. They're always appreciated.

Harry, I had knee surgery on Tuesday. Since I had to stay off my feet for the next two days, I had lots of time to do the roofing. Believe me, it started to get old after a while. I'm not used to being that inactive. I love model building but not for hours at a stretch.

Paul, the "Pewter Gray" paint I used is made by Apple Barrel and available at Wal Mart. After I finished shingling, I took a small round brush and drybrushed Americana "Red Iron Oxide" on the valley flashing. The final step was to lighly dust the valleys with rust colored chalk.

Raw umber and gold ochre chalks make all the difference in the appearance of a "wood" shingle roof, in my opinion.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/19/2003 :  11:03:56 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the compliments, guys. They're always appreciated.

Harry, I had knee surgery on Tuesday. Since I had to stay off my feet for the next two days, I had lots of time to do the roofing. Believe me, it started to get old after a while. I'm not used to being that inactive. I love model building but not for hours at a stretch.

Paul, the "Pewter Gray" paint I used is made by Apple Barrel and available at Wal Mart. After I finished shingling, I took a small round brush and drybrushed Americana "Red Iron Oxide" on the valley flashing. The final step was to lighly dust the valleys with rust colored chalk.

Raw umber and gold ochre chalks make all the difference in the appearance of a "wood" shingle roof, in my opinion.

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 04/19/2003 :  6:32:50 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by MikeC

Mike,

I got the idea for the raw umber chalk from an earlier post of yours. Before I used it, the roof looked like painted paper shingles. After applying the chalk, it looks great. I’ll have to try gold ochre as well.

Thanks for the info on the paint. I have not started my flashing/roof yet so I may have to make a trip down to Wal-Mart to buy some. Is the Red Iron Oxide Apple Barrel paint too?

Paul

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 04/19/2003 :  6:32:50 PM  Show Profile
quote:

Mike,

I got the idea for the raw umber chalk from an earlier post of yours. Before I used it, the roof looked like painted paper shingles. After applying the chalk, it looks great. I’ll have to try gold ochre as well.

Thanks for the info on the paint. I have not started my flashing/roof yet so I may have to make a trip down to Wal-Mart to buy some. Is the Red Iron Oxide Apple Barrel paint too?

Paul

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/19/2003 :  9:05:32 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by paulbrockatsf

Is the Red Iron Oxide Apple Barrel paint too?

Paul

Paul, the Americana line of paints is made by Deco-Art. The only place I have found it is at Michaels. There are several shades of rust-colored paints available, including the "Red Iron Oxide." I think the Deco-Art Americana line is equal to and possibly superior to Delta's Ceramcoat. But it's also more expensive. All of about $1.44 per bottle.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/19/2003 :  9:05:32 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by paulbrockatsf

Is the Red Iron Oxide Apple Barrel paint too?

Paul

Paul, the Americana line of paints is made by Deco-Art. The only place I have found it is at Michaels. There are several shades of rust-colored paints available, including the "Red Iron Oxide." I think the Deco-Art Americana line is equal to and possibly superior to Delta's Ceramcoat. But it's also more expensive. All of about $1.44 per bottle.

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/21/2003 :  3:11:10 PM  Show Profile
Well after the wild weekend of company and parties I can now get back to work on my roof.

Mike I knew you were chair bound but I was having "fun" using the glue stick and the shingles moving on me. I had to stop every so often and wait for the glue to dry. Especially the short strips on the bottom part of the roof, the glue stck seemed to work better on the longer strips near the top.

Harry

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/21/2003 :  3:11:10 PM  Show Profile
Well after the wild weekend of company and parties I can now get back to work on my roof.

Mike I knew you were chair bound but I was having "fun" using the glue stick and the shingles moving on me. I had to stop every so often and wait for the glue to dry. Especially the short strips on the bottom part of the roof, the glue stck seemed to work better on the longer strips near the top.

Harry

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/21/2003 :  3:26:11 PM  Show Profile
Harry, were you applying the glue to the cardboard subroof or to the strips themselves? I flipped the shingle strips over on a sheet of inkjet paper and ran the glue stick across that. By the time I flipped the shingle strip back over and had it ready to press on the cardboard, the glue had gotten just tacky enough to hold pretty well.

I agree about the small pieces at the bottom. They were a pain to get set in place. And the next "strip" or two above those weren't much better either.

I hope to get back to the dock later this afternoon or this evening.

I'm off the crutches now, but I still can't do anything to stress or overflex the knee. Which means I think I 'll go stand around and watch my wife mow the yard. hehe

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/21/2003 :  3:26:11 PM  Show Profile
Harry, were you applying the glue to the cardboard subroof or to the strips themselves? I flipped the shingle strips over on a sheet of inkjet paper and ran the glue stick across that. By the time I flipped the shingle strip back over and had it ready to press on the cardboard, the glue had gotten just tacky enough to hold pretty well.

I agree about the small pieces at the bottom. They were a pain to get set in place. And the next "strip" or two above those weren't much better either.

I hope to get back to the dock later this afternoon or this evening.

I'm off the crutches now, but I still can't do anything to stress or overflex the knee. Which means I think I 'll go stand around and watch my wife mow the yard. hehe

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/21/2003 :  3:38:27 PM  Show Profile
quote:

I tried it both ways and went with the glue the shingles then stick them to the roof. I have two different glue sticks, one manufactures works better for me than the other. The one that works best is made by Officemate International Corp and is in a blue and white container, the other is made by Avery and is in a yellow/orange and red container. Both are permanent glue sticks, the problem is that I am not sure where I purchased the OIC one and have not found it localy again and it is almost gone.

Harry

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/21/2003 :  3:38:27 PM  Show Profile
quote:

I tried it both ways and went with the glue the shingles then stick them to the roof. I have two different glue sticks, one manufactures works better for me than the other. The one that works best is made by Officemate International Corp and is in a blue and white container, the other is made by Avery and is in a yellow/orange and red container. Both are permanent glue sticks, the problem is that I am not sure where I purchased the OIC one and have not found it localy again and it is almost gone.

Harry

Page: of 116 Previous Topic: On30 Turnout Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Making a LED Street Light  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000